Two kids.... Q2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 2.11.2023 um 11:05 schrieb JoshuaRothman:

I sold my Q2 a while back to concentrate on the M system. I used the proceeds to buy some very nice M lenses. The Q2 was my main camera for a couple of years, but in the end I concluded that I just loved using M cameras, and I now have three: M10, M10M, M6. Since selling the Q2, I can count on one hand the times I've missed having autofocus.

All that said: my wife and I just had our second kid. Oh boy. Over the weekend, I was out with the family, pushing the baby stroller, wrangling the diaper bag, chasing my five year old as he ran one way while my daughter stayed behind in her stroller, holding on to one child or the other at pretty much all times . . . . Focusing with two hands was very difficult, and as for changing lenses, forget about it. I managed to get some decent photos with the 21 SEM at f/8, but that's it. My pictures were basically grab shots using range focusing. Okay sometimes, hardly ideal as the norm.

It made me miss the Q2. Thanks to the Q3, I could probably afford a used one. (I'm not very tempted by the improvements in the Q3.) I'm thinking that what I'd do is sell one of my Ms, plus the 21 SEM. Maybe I'd sell the M6 or the M10M—not sure which—but the M10 is my main squeeze and I don't really need three M cameras. I've also been streamlining my M lens kit so that all my lenses are pre-ASPH anyway; I'd end up making the Q2 my sole modern lens. I'm aiming to get down to three M lenses—28 Summaron, 35 Steel Rim, 50 Summicron. I could then have the bitingly sharp Q2 lens with its autofocus as my modern setup. There's something appealing about that division of labor. Maybe it makes sense?

But maybe I'm overreacting! Maybe I'll be able to handle two kids and an M. Perhaps I'm just sleep-deprived as a new parent, and giving in to totally senseless GAS. I sold the Q2 before because I was no longer enjoying AF or an EVF. I've since handled many very complicated family vacations with lots of kids and dogs on my Ms. And yet, suddenly, I'm finding myself wishing that I had the Q2 again, because it's the ultimate family camera. A bonus would be that my wife can use it, so maybe I'd finally be in some pictures.....

What should I do? I hate re-buying gear that I've sold, but maybe, in this case, it's justified?

I have a very similar family situation.
With 21mm f1.8 and zone focus you can take very nice photos. However, the zone focus models can hardly be used correctly with the M11 with 60MP. from 35mm it is pure luck to hit. 
I now have the Q3 and the Af in combination with the crop mode is excellent. One-handed operation. the folding display for ground recordings. a perfect family camera that I really like to have with me even with a bag and a stroller and that I can carry and use as a dad.

I put a lot of effort into my family photography too, especially my baby girl since last years.
End up I with SL system with auto focus, and M lens if own time.
The EVF help a lot and easily to focus and get result when on M lens, compared to M body.

If looking for compact, I think Q series is great, or maybe CL?

On 11/2/2023 at 5:22 AM, JoshuaRothman said:

Not for me..... I really put a lot of effort into my family photography!

I too try very hard with family photos. Yes, I use my iPhone occasionally, but I love using my Q2M. I am one of those weirdos that uses manual focus. I feel more engaged when everything is manual. 

My comment to the OP, if you are missing photos or not even photographing because because your hands are "full" and cannot fit an M camera into your lifestyle, purchase a Q2 :) 

We are visiting our daughter's house...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

After some hemming and hawing, and some time spent looking back through my past photos, I bought a Ricoh GR III and am going to try using it for one-handed shooting.

My reasoning was that the GR III is so small that I can pack it alongside my M in my bag. So I don't have to choose *not* to use the M, which is what I'd have to do if I bought a Q2

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoshuaRothman said:

After some hemming and hawing, and some time spent looking back through my past photos, I bought a Ricoh GR III and am going to try using it for one-handed shooting.

My reasoning was that the GR III is so small that I can pack it alongside my M in my bag. So I don't have to choose *not* to use the M, which is what I'd have to do if I bought a Q2. 

Great choice if you’re not (like many here) hypnotized by the red dot 😆

• Haha 1