M11 viewfinder framelines turn randomly red?

Tommi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just noticed that sometimes the framelines in my M11 viewfinder turn partially red. This happens regardless of the lens attached and even without lens.

This happened first time shortly after firmware update (1.6.1 -> 2.0.1) and I just thought, okay, maybe it's a bug or something, or was wondering if they added back the option to show framelines in red as in M240, but still a bit strange behaviour.. Then the problem just disappeared and the framelines were pure white again.

Until now it's partially red again... I just noticed the side which turns red depends on the camera orientation.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If I tilt the lens down, it's usually red in top frameline or in upper right corner and if I tilt the lens up, it goes to bottom frameline or the lower left corner.

This got me wondering, is there something loose inside the viewfinder or what might be causing this..?

• Like 1

Went out for the first time on Saturday since upgrading to v2.0.1 and experienced the same thing. Glad you captured photos of it @Tommi

I pulled the battery and everything seems back to normal so far.

First time I’ve ever seen this (and I’ve had the camera since launch day)

Edited by mrmalo

@hdmesa I'm pretty careful where I put my fingers!

In all seriousness, I did try shooting in a different direction (having thought it was glare from the red dot on my lens, which I've never experienced before). Before I pulled the battery, I also cleaned the front of the range finder window, so who knows. Like I say, I've never experienced anything like this. There was nothing special about when it happened, other than I had just updated firmware.

One would think, if it was a misplaced finger, it would be easy to replicate? I've tried and it doesn't seem possible!

Edited by mrmalo
  • Like 2

Definitely a firmware bug or new feature that’s only partially implemented before roll out. Happened yesterday while taking pictures in a museum. Acts like a level. Hasn’t happened again since. Would be nice to get the red frame lines back. Shooting with silver M11 since initial launch. First occurrence after multiple firmware updates. 

• Like 3

A suggestion for experimentation.

When this occurs, quickly turn the camera around and look into the main VF window from the front, and see if the red "self-timer countdown" LED in the top-front of the viewfinder cover-glass, has been turned on spuriously - and continuously - possibly by a firmware bug.

That might at least explain the source of the red light - although not why it illuminates just the framelines (that are in a separate chamber beside the viewfinder), or acts as a tilt-meter.

I checked my M10 in ST mode, and it doesn't happen. But I have no idea what little positioning changes may have made, to suit the M11 electronics

• Like 1

20 hours ago, adan said:

A suggestion for experimentation.

When this occurs, quickly turn the camera around and look into the main VF window from the front, and see if the red "self-timer countdown" LED in the top-front of the viewfinder cover-glass, has been turned on spuriously - and continuously - possibly by a firmware bug.

That might at least explain the source of the red light - although not why it illuminates just the framelines (that are in a separate chamber beside the viewfinder), or acts as a tilt-meter.

I checked my M10 in ST mode, and it doesn't happen. But I have no idea what little positioning changes may have made, to suit the M11 electronics

I tried your experiment... I didn't see any kind of self timer countdown. I've had the new "feature" randomly enable for me a few times now. I'm 99% sure it's tied to the level gauge. When it works it's actually pretty cool and it definitely encourages me to take level photos. Unfortunately it seems to randomly turn on and thus it's extremely distracting. I've emailed Leica customer care asking for help on this one. Along with randomly corrupt DNGs since going to v2.0.1.

• Like 2

I saw this thread when it was posted but had not noticed this behaviour, but then it did appear once the other day when I was playing with the camera at home (with latest firmware). It looked identical to the pictures above and did seem to be related to camera-level. It was just in that moment that I was using the camera - I could not replicate it since. Quite mysterious indeed :)

• Like 4

I noticed it today for the first time when out shooting some handheld landscapes locally. It's definitely some sort of feature, and as others have said, perhaps not fully implemented yet. For me, the bottom frame line illuminates when it looks close to an even horizon. Turn it 90° to a portrait aspect and the bottom frame line then illuminates (what would the left or right frame line in landscape aspect). Curiously, it only seems to kick in when I raise the viewfinder higher than the horizon. 

If it is a feature, I hope it's a) announced! And b) improved. It's pretty neat. 

Edited by MCF74

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased an M11 and today is day one, and I got this as well. It happened for a few hours but has stopped. Was 100% a leveling feature that feels like isn’t live yet. I would tilt one direction and the frame lines would turn red on that side. Would tilt the other direction and the red would move to the other side. Worked in portrait and landscape orientation. The red would be stronger the more unlevel I held the camera and would disappear when level. Super super handy and can’t wait for it to be fully implemented. On the latest firmware. 

also: love the camera so far and the images are breathtaking. I’m coming from an SL2 and used the 28 Elmarit and 50asph Lux with the adapter and still the M images have me saying “wow!”

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I saw this for the first time on my M11. It was clearly a leveling feature. I turned on the LCD and it clearly matched exactly the level indicator on the LCD. I turned the camera on and off a couple of times and feature stayed. I then changed lenses and now it's gone again. I really like this and hope it actually gets implemented. I can't figure out what is causing it to appear and disappear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a coincidence (for me).  I noticed this phenomenon over the past weekend with my M11-P and wondered if it was some type of new exposure warning. (Which could be very clever!) But I have not been able to make it reoccur.  I haven't ruled-out finger-near-the-front-vf-window. Will be following this.

• 3 weeks later...

This feature hit my camera yesterday as well. At first I was really confused and thought this was some kind of bug. After few seconds I realized what it was doing and I was really happy such feature was added, a simple and smart way to make sure the horizon is set well. Only to have the feature disappear later in the day. Then I spend good 30 minutes in the menu trying to figure out how I turned it off, and eventually ended up here. 

So, when are we getting this feature? I am totally confused now. :)
BTW I am on 2.0.1 FW 

Edited by mirekti