Cold Weather Advice - SL2 and lenses

NightPix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Coral Palm said:

Just returned from Greenland where the SL2 performed very well, never a problem but never super cold except when wind kicked up. Anyway all the previous advice is good, and yes I would go for a waterproof sealed bag from outdoor store as though more $ than a garbage bag or big ziplock bag it will last unlike the others.  I have had the SL in very cold weather as in -30c in Siberia and never a problem. Once forgot to put it in a bag and went into a restaurant and looked over at the camera on the table and it was soaked wet all over. Took a napkin dried it off, ate my meal, and went back into the cold and no problems with the camera. Yet preventive maintenance as in a bag can never hurt. 🙂  Oh as far as lenses I used the Leica 100-400 on and off in Greenland, but I was not after polar bears per se and I have the Sigma 150-600 yet a beast did not want to carry it. So for the bears I would take the Sigma, that said a friend got amazing polar bear shots with a 24-70. Wear lots of layers, stay warm, and have a great trip!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Great photo!  I was in Illulissat in Greenland July of 2022 with my SL2 and 24-70 and had no problems, but, like you said, it was not as cold as I’m expecting in northern Canada in November. I’m hoping any polar bears I come across will be moving slowly because maneuvering that 150-600 beast will be a challenge for me.