Best wide angle for L Mount

tripc0de

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An image 11-23 on a CL. A canopy walk with an eagle sculpture, really bright day, blue sky on a lake for the back ground.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tripc0de said:

Ok thanks. Good advice. I think I will rent the Sigma 14-24 art one and try it out. But yes I reckon the 11-23 is likely to be the best so will keep an eye on second hand prices.

The Sigma is an L-mount lens designed to cover full frame sensors, and will feel very bulky on the TL2 (an APS-C camera). I’m sure the performance will be excellent.

Personally I’d 100% go for a used Leica 11-23, which is also excellent by all accounts and designed for this system.

22 minutes ago, ruskkyle said:

The Sigma is an L-mount lens designed to cover full frame sensors, and will feel very bulky on the TL2 (an APS-C camera). I’m sure the performance will be excellent.

Personally I’d 100% go for a used Leica 11-23, which is also excellent by all accounts and designed for this system.

Ok good shout. It's a pity they can't be rented.

23 minutes ago, tripc0de said:

Ok good shout. It's a pity they can't be rented.

That copy you found at Red Dot Cameras looks good value and they are a great business. I bought my CL new from them. If you are able to get to their London store I’m sure they’d let you test it out on a walk around the area.

Pretty happy with my 11-23, this frame at 14mm

• Like 1

this one at 11mm

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The new Sigma lens looks interesting, it will definitely be a lot cheaper and you have the constant 2.8 aperture.  For my use however, I'm usually stopping down for landscapes anyway, and I love the that the extra zoom range on the 11-23; for travel it's quite handy to be able to get an ultra wide shot of architecture / landscape, then zoom in to 35 mm equivalent for shots of people.  I wouldn't replace my 11-23 with the Sigma, but if cost was an issue and I didn't have either, I would take a long look at the Sigma.  Would also see how the lens reviews before I draw any hard conclusions.  Exciting to see Sigma throwing us APS-C users a bone.

13 minutes ago, TL3 said:

The new Sigma lens looks interesting, it will definitely be a lot cheaper and you have the constant 2.8 aperture.  For my use however, I'm usually stopping down for landscapes anyway, and I love the that the extra zoom range on the 11-23; for travel it's quite handy to be able to get an ultra wide shot of architecture / landscape, then zoom in to 35 mm equivalent for shots of people.  I wouldn't replace my 11-23 with the Sigma, but if cost was an issue and I didn't have either, I would take a long look at the Sigma.  Would also see how the lens reviews before I draw any hard conclusions.  Exciting to see Sigma throwing us APS-C users a bone.

Thanks for the comment. What are the pros and cons of the fixed 2.8 aperture? It's certainly the lightest wide angle lens for L mount and I like the fact it goes down to 10mm. Sigmas other wideangle lenses all start at 14mm.

I had an 11-16 f2.8 Tokina when I used Nikon, it was also an excellent lens. Not as good as the 11-23 but still an excellent lens. I prefer fixed aperture lenses. If money and availability are an issuewith the Leica, the Sigma would be worth a look. A photo from the Tokina adapted to my CL, the adapter was annoying to work with. Just that 3rd party lenses can do a good job.

2019 Cherry Blossom Festival, Washington DC.

5 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I had an 11-16 f2.8 Tokina when I used Nikon, it was also an excellent lens. Not as good as the 11-23 but still an excellent lens. I prefer fixed aperture lenses. If money and availability are an issuewith the Leica, the Sigma would be worth a look. A photo from the Tokina adapted to my CL, the adapter was annoying to work with. Just that 3rd party lenses can do a good job.

2019 Cherry Blossom Festival, Washington DC.

Great picture. So why do you prefer fixed aperture?

I mostly use prime lenses, but also I use manual exposure. The only thing I don't like about the 11-23 is that it is f4.5 at 23mm, I would have been fine with a little larger lens at f3.5 at all focal lengths. The lens is good enough that I over look that one complaint.  But I kept my 23 Summicron.

The pros of having the fixed 2.8 aperture on the Sigma would be shallower depth of field and better lower light.  I was playing around with the idea of doing astrophotography on my CL, but realized I probably can't use the 11-23 due to its poor light gathering capabilities.  Also as mentioned above, having a maximum aperture of 4.5 at 23 mm is also annoying when i'm trying to get some portraits of people in between my wide angle vacation snaps.

The cons of having a fixed 2.8 (vs Leica with a variable 3.5-4.5) I imagine would be size and weight.  I would think to keep the size down, they probably gave up on the some zoom range.  I usually use the 11-23 for sunny vacations (architecture, landscapes, and environmental family snaps in between) anyway, so my pick if cost were no object would be the Leica due to the very useful expanded zoom range.  People have to wait for me as I take photos already, I can imagine they'd be even more annoyed if I had to swap to the 23 Summicron every time I wanted a 23.

Also I'm just speculating on the Sigma quality, but for the purposes of this post I am assuming it will be high and very serviceable.

It all depends on your budget and shooting style.  If you're budget constrained, but more of a prime shooter, you could invest in Leica primes but Sigma zooms or vice versa.  There will be a slightly different use case for each lens available, so no matter your choice it will be varying degrees of justifiable.

8 hours ago, TL3 said:

The pros of having the fixed 2.8 aperture on the Sigma would be shallower depth of field and better lower light.  I was playing around with the idea of doing astrophotography on my CL, but realized I probably can't use the 11-23 due to its poor light gathering capabilities.  Also as mentioned above, having a maximum aperture of 4.5 at 23 mm is also annoying when i'm trying to get some portraits of people in between my wide angle vacation snaps.

The cons of having a fixed 2.8 (vs Leica with a variable 3.5-4.5) I imagine would be size and weight.  I would think to keep the size down, they probably gave up on the some zoom range.  I usually use the 11-23 for sunny vacations (architecture, landscapes, and environmental family snaps in between) anyway, so my pick if cost were no object would be the Leica due to the very useful expanded zoom range.  People have to wait for me as I take photos already, I can imagine they'd be even more annoyed if I had to swap to the 23 Summicron every time I wanted a 23.

Also I'm just speculating on the Sigma quality, but for the purposes of this post I am assuming it will be high and very serviceable.

It all depends on your budget and shooting style.  If you're budget constrained, but more of a prime shooter, you could invest in Leica primes but Sigma zooms or vice versa.  There will be a slightly different use case for each lens available, so no matter your choice it will be varying degrees of justifiable.

Ok interesting. I am interested in mountain photography and don't actually want a bokeh effect in most photos. I wouldn't be focusing on an object closer to the camera. I would want everything to be in focus. Is that not going to be achievable with this fixed 2.8 aperture? I know I could focus on the background, further away elements but that will mean the foreground will be blurred?

vor 6 Stunden schrieb tripc0de:

Ok interesting. I am interested in mountain photography and don't actually want a bokeh effect in most photos. I wouldn't be focusing on an object closer to the camera. I would want everything to be in focus. Is that not going to be achievable with this fixed 2.8 aperture? I know I could focus on the background, further away elements but that will mean the foreground will be blurred?

Fixed aperture doesn't mean f2.8 is the only aperture, just means that the widest aperture is f2.8 across the zoom range. You still can use it on smaller apertures. If you are going to be using around f5.6 or f8 the 11-23 TL is a spectacular lens. But if you can't find one, a lens you can use will be better than one you are pining over. 

25 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Fixed aperture doesn't mean f2.8 is the only aperture, just means that the widest aperture is f2.8 across the zoom range. You still can use it on smaller apertures. If you are going to be using around f5.6 or f8 the 11-23 TL is a spectacular lens. But if you can't find one, a lens you can use will be better than one you are pining over. 

Ok thanks...