M-mount wide angle on Lumix S5II vs Sony a7R series?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another one is Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 ZM. Not as good as the Heliar but acceptable stopped down.
S1R + Zeiss D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

istagon T* 1.4/35 ZM
  • Like 1

Last picture. Also quite happy with the Summilux 35 pre asph II but nothing for pixel peeping.  Sharp in the centre, a little blurry at the edges. The colours are much better on the S1R and the clarity of the image is superior to that of the M10.
S1R + Summilux 35 pre asph II

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 2:24 PM, Archiver said:

In the following post, I outline my experiences with all my M mount glass:

Thank you for this. It's helpful. I've done some comparison tests with a few lenses on my S5 IIx and a Sony A7R III. So far the S5 IIx is a fair amount better. This isn't surprising considering the Lumix sensor stack is thinner than the Sony stack. I've tried a VM 21mm f1.8 Ultron, VM 75mm f1.9 Ultron, and Leica M 28mm f2.8. The Leica lens was just in the Leica store comparing it on SL2 v S5 IIx. I'm sticking with the S5 IIx. It's much nicer to use than the Sony. I used Sony FF for many years professionally and the lenses are stellar. But for me it always felt like sticking great glass on a computer. The cameras I've really enjoyed using over the years have been Fujifilm X-T and X-Pro, my Q3 and  various Leica rangefinders. Now that I'm older I don't enjoy the rangefinder experience as much. It will likely never happen but I'd love to see Leica make a Q type camera with interchangeable M lenses or something with a hybrid OVF/EVF for M lenses.

• Like 1

I tried the Summilux 24 and Super Elmar 18 today. Not to be recommended, the Summilux had extreme vignetting, more in the foreground than in the sky, so difficult to remove and the corners were soft. Not recommended. The Super Elmar was better with vignetting, but the corners were unusable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Addition: if I overexpose by 1 EV and use the JPG the results have far less vignette but the image is quite flat. The smearing  in the corners remains. 

On 2/21/2024 at 8:05 AM, jaapv said:

This is all very interesting but not surprising given that only the M, SL and CL have sensors designed with M lenses in mind. 

I think this IS the net net of all the results mentioned 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The question was asked   I will use the Summilux 24, especially indoors where it still shines but not as a landscape lens which was never the intended purpose of the lens. 
I suspect that the WATE will do well.