Tele lenses anyone?

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I am a landscape and nature photographer, it would be nice occasionally to shoot with a longer lens than the 135 I have. I shouldn't be any problems as I have the Visoflex. Can somebody share some experiences and recommendations on a lens? 

I would look at the excellent R tele lenses. The 80mm–200mm f/4 Vario-Elmar-R would be 2 birds with one stone. Zoom and tele + very high quality both IQ and build quality.

The APO 180 F3.4 is the first prime that comes to mind.

And the old APO 280 F2.8 if you can hold it. Nothing wrong with the IQ. It is still the best tele lens that I own. But the balance with the M11 might not be ideal, to say the least. Something like a SL series body works better with this lens, when handheld. But if you use it with a tripod, the M11 should be even better than the SL2.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

In the Photo Forum section, I have been seeing wonderful images posted by a LUF member who is using an adapted Micro-Nikkor AF 200mm f/4D. I have one of these, which I bought cheaply because its AF mechanism’s connection to the camera no long functions. I use it on Nikon DSLRs, now. Its long focus ring throw makes for a wonderful manual focus experience. The lens has a small, non-removable tripod foot, though I have been using it hand-held. A good Nikon-F-lens-to-Leica-M adapter is on my short list of gadgets to acquire. (The Novoflex adapters would be the LEM/NIK or LEM/NIK-NT, but there are other good adapters.)

I have used a Novoflex LEM/LER adapter, to shoot with a Leica-R Elmarit 28mm lens, on M cameras, since 2018. I have used a Novoflex EOS/NIK, since 2011, to mount Nikon F-mount lenses on Canon EOS EF cameras. So, I have no qualms about trying a high-quality adapter to use Nikon F-mount lenses on M cameras, and seeing images with this combination has certainly stimulated my interest.

Macro and close-range photography was the original reason I started using interchangeable-lens cameras. Much of the enthusiasm died, when evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography became an added duty assignment, during the final seven years of my career in public service, but, five years after retirement, the enthusiasm is returning.

Edited to add: Notably, it is the AF version of the 200mm Micro-Nikkor that has the better reputation. There is a totally manual-focus variant that does not compare well, optically, to the AF version.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dpitt said:

I would look at the excellent R tele lenses. The 80mm–200mm f/4 Vario-Elmar-R would be 2 birds with one stone. Zoom and tele + very high quality both IQ and build quality.

The APO 180 F3.4 is the first prime that comes to mind.

And the old APO 280 F2.8 if you can hold it. Nothing wrong with the IQ. It is still the best tele lens that I own. But the balance with the M11 might not be ideal, to say the least. Something like a SL series body works better with this lens, when handheld. But if you use it with a tripod, the M11 should be even better than the SL2.

You forget the 105-280 R,  coupled with the APO extenders it will give you all the reach you’ll ever want at true Leica quality. 

• Like 1