Lim's half case with Arca-Swiss base finally available on eBay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lim's makes my favorite half cases - I have owned 4, including the one for the Q2.  They're made in South Korea of very high quality leather with an Arca-Swiss compatible metal base.  The base allows the changing of the battery and the SD card without having to remove the half case first.

Here's the one on eBay in brown leather: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266373726126?hash=item3e051c7fae:g:-r4AAOSwXMdk2zr4&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0NVFRIIIUK4Od%2Fs3OrLRTq3up2CTcRpM7XTIUv12tQxbM%2B%2Bq7KK5vOfj5Jwdc3jjUhHRS8Fv4k7NOJQHX%2F4DMMaiAymfP%2FXNWx3xgSNx%2FxzgJSuEkQmT7WqLGoGD1xyHVLbaE0bSFwqPCr74BSB1VYO2QsbhS0OhlEXm9x996RJi81B7Oiv%2Bvjj3Wwk9urc7ury%2F6J0tvnaCYs046BHxysalHTEDvmJ3RrRABiRd%2FmiulZcLLqQHftfQ1ftud%2FhDDoKR98JnHkPySey8B%2BwgAiA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8y5p5q_Yg.

And one in black: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266373662367?hash=item3e051b869f:g:dgUAAOSwQ1pk2zF6&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0CMLRdSwh%2FnXaW%2BsKRJ6h%2B24YzXSvEfVeT4xNhZF6%2BOZz22zUxkUUgzJtHlEW3JcoDHUaz161ceHR0SdzvcKCZJFdHFKo2hbaRC78kOfTRy8y8o5IqXJNCq4y%2F%2Ft6Y6jKulMTGN71GKLS6vi6BacIhfNLFdkFi9ppCVq1OLC9jnTRBMv2UiPwPgkfF2hIB6Ltmvz2g0Bc9htnS%2F%2BtQaSI%2FIJ27EszLBXnHN9GzvIfT8Uh1f2oafgdfCruEcpgCtLBmNGMSTiWsq0yM6J63Ol4yQ%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8y5p5q_Yg

I can't recommend their half cases more and they are better than the Leica ones at a lower price.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, idusidusi said:

Those look good, for me in black. BUT, is it only available via ebay?

For now.  Eventually they'll go on Amazon.  But distribution is quite limited worldwide, unfortunately.  Feel free to ask the eBay seller (the manufacturer) about where else they sell the half cases.  They are very responsive as I have communicated with them many time before.

On 8/15/2023 at 7:56 AM, idusidusi said:

Those look good, for me in black. BUT, is it only available via ebay?

Yes, I ordered mine on Etsy. I try to avoid eBay when possible. The guy is fairly responsive if you email him. My only choice for payment was paypal but of course you can use a credit card that way.

Edited by MindsEye
typo

43 minutes ago, 1945 Mouton said:

Cool.  It's the same seller (Lim's).  They were hoping to ship early this month, but like everything else it got delayed.

Yeah. I was messaging with Jin Ho with ModernJJ (Lim's Design cases) over the past couple months about Q3 half cases. They moved their date back a bit. I'm sure it's hard to predict exact schedules for this type of product. The site, and message from them, said shipping 22 August but when I actually checked out online it showed 2 dates: One was August 22 if you pay expedited shipping and the other Aug 31-Sept 5 if you take the included shipping.

The good part is they will be shipping their half cases soon! 😎

Edited by MindsEye
  • Like 1

Unfortunately you can’t use this item with a tripod unless you have a dovetail mount tripod which I do not. Unless I’m missing something. I have a RC2, Arca type manfrotto so I can’t use it and I don’t want to have to remove the case every time I use the tripod, especially when I’m out in the field. 

1 hour ago, Miltz said:

Unfortunately you can’t use this item with a tripod unless you have a dovetail mount tripod which I do not. Unless I’m missing something. I have a RC2, Arca type manfrotto so I can’t use it and I don’t want to have to remove the case every time I use the tripod, especially when I’m out in the field. 

The case does have a 1/4-20 socket at the bottom so you could conceivably attach a Manfrotto plate to it without having to remove the case.  Not optimal, but at least you can leave the case on.  I don't quite understand why Manfrotto still marches to a different drum beat now that Arca-Swiss has pretty much become universal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miltz said:

Miltz,

Haoge make a quick release QR clamp adapter converter for Manfrotto RC2 systems. The base of the Haoge Arca-swiss type clamp fits into the RC2 Manfrotto receiver - then you have an Arca-Swiss clamp ready to accept the Arca-Swiss dovetail built into the Lims Q3 leather half case.

Edit: I had a link posted that (I think) wasn't correct - but if you search on Amazon you should be able to find this adapter quite easily.

Paul

Edited by Ozymandias
Incorrect link?

12 hours ago, pcgarner said:

Does anyone else have my reaction: The case looks inexpensive and a notch below the Q's quiet elegance.

'

I also think it looks quite cheap. Functional certainly but, cheap. I think it's party due to the stitching. The Oberwerth is due to be released in the next week or so will see what that's like. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FlowUK said:

I also think it looks quite cheap. Functional certainly but, cheap. I think it's party due to the stitching. The Oberwerth is due to be released in the next week or so will see what that's like. 

Yes, the stitching contributes. But the material itself looks faux, thin and barely functional. Compare this to any half case by Luigi.  But then the price is right.

2 hours ago, pcgarner said:

Yes, the stitching contributes. But the material itself looks faux, thin and barely functional. Compare this to any half case by Luigi.  But then the price is right.

This will be my 5th half-case from Lim's - the other four for my Nikon and Sony cameras and the Q2.  I have owned Artist/Artisan, Oberwerth, Luigi and Angelo Pelle cases.  I can attest that the quality of the Lim's cases are on par with them.  The material is Italian leather, but the PU leather cheap Chinese cases use.  The fit is perfect.  And functionally, it offers an Arca/Swiss base with openings for the battery and SD card.  If you ever hold one in your hand, you will see that it definitely does not look cheap.  Its lower price also attests to the fact that I think the other brands are over-priced!  And I am by no means cheap, I use either my Oberwerth Louis or the Wotancraft 3L camera bag for my Q3.  :)

Edited by 1945 Mouton
correction
  • Like 2

I have two of the LIM's half cases, one on a Q and another for my m10r.  They are both excellent at doing what they were designed to do.  The grip itself is worth the price of the case.  Sometimes they have different styles available,  the one on my m10 is textured leather with red stitching.

Are they as attractive as Luigi or Oberwerth?  No, not really.  But for a fraction of the price they won't slip when holding the camera one handed.