Lim's Q3 Thumb Support & Half Case

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received my Lim's half case and thumb support last week and here are some pictures of them on my Q3.  The thumb support fits perfectly with the two back buttons lined up exactly.  It is of very high quality, as with the half case.  I had some initial reservations about the two back buttons which are made from brass.  But seeing it in reality they don't bother me at all.  I think they add a nice and subtle accent to the camera.  I compared it to the Leica thumb support and find the Lim's constructed just as well.  Looking at them on the camera, I actually prefer the lack of grooves on the Lim's thumb support, which conforms better to the smooth design of the Q3.

Mindseye has been kind enough to give a detailed review of the Lim's half case.  You can find his review here:

I'll add a couple of comments on the half case.  It weighs just a bit over 6 ozs.  And besides the openings for the battery and SD card at the bottom (Arca-Swiss), it also provides access to the side door for the charging USB-C connector etc.., albeit the side door wouldn't open all the way, you can still access the connectors easily

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

nonetheless.

All in all, I think the Lim's options are a great value, considering the substantially lower prices compared to the Leica accessories.

• Thanks 1

@1945 Mouton, Thanks for posting this. Excellent information and the photos really help. I'm glad you added the point about the side port access which I forgot in my review. After using I have noticed that the leather is a bit soft, so finger and fingernail indents can show up, especially where you grab it by the grip. Not a big deal because the feel of it is nice. I think you will continue to like it. 

I wish I had known LIM'S was going to make the thumb support and I would have held off on the Leica one. When the store near me had a black Leica one in stock, I jumped on it because they are so hard to find. I find the thumb rest an essential accessory. I could easily live without the case, but not the thumb support.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, MindsEye said:

@1945 Mouton, Thanks for posting this. Excellent information and the photos really help. I'm glad you added the point about the side port access which I forgot in my review. After using I have noticed that the leather is a bit soft, so finger and fingernail indents can show up, especially where you grab it by the grip. Not a big deal because the feel of it is nice. I think you will continue to like it. 

I wish I had known LIM'S was going to make the thumb support and I would have held off on the Leica one. When the store near me had a black Leica one in stock, I jumped on it because they are so hard to find. I find the thumb rest an essential accessory. I could easily live without the case, but not the thumb support.

I found out by accident on this forum about the Lim's thumb support.  I had been waiting on three different orders for the black Leica version.  I finally gave up on them after finding the Lim's.  One other thing I really liked about the half case is the little magnetically-mounted screw driver in the base.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Question for those with the Lim's thumb support.

I am not sure it is my camera, or the thumb support or a combination. The thumb support seems to sit flush against the camera, but after I hold the camera it moves slightly. There ends up being enough of an angle between the thumb support and the camera that the buttons no longer work. I readjust the support and it works again for a while and then loosens again. Did I get a bad copy of the support, or does this happen with Lim's? Does this happen with the Leica support?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Question for those with the Lim's thumb support.

I am not sure it is my camera, or the thumb support or a combination. The thumb support seems to sit flush against the camera, but after I hold the camera it moves slightly. There ends up being enough of an angle between the thumb support and the camera that the buttons no longer work. I readjust the support and it works again for a while and then loosens again. Did I get a bad copy of the support, or does this happen with Lim's? Does this happen with the Leica support?

Hello @Cheesehead, I have exactly the same (little) issue on my Lim's thumb support ! Thought it was only on mine, but obviously it's a conception problem... 😒

2 hours ago, VoxFabiani said:

Hello @Cheesehead, I have exactly the same (little) issue on my Lim's thumb support ! Thought it was only on mine, but obviously it's a conception problem... 😒

I’d be concerned about long term damage to the hot-shoe. The Leica thumb support fits like a glove and has no movement.

Have this, beautiful leather, the hand grip works extremely well without thumb support. 

• Like 1

Glad I found this topic, I too bought the Lim's thumb support for my Q3 and noticed the wiggle. It wasn't enough to make it unusable but definitely made the overall Q3 experience feel less premium. The grip would come out slightly loose from the hot shoe even on first use right after pushing it back into position, I was concerned the movement would eventually cause wear for the camera so I took it off and requesting a return. 

This also made me second guess whether I should buy the official thumb grip, because if there's wiggle room there, then I would rather run my Q3 without a grip

1 hour ago, chester6 said:

Glad I found this topic, I too bought the Lim's thumb support for my Q3 and noticed the wiggle. It wasn't enough to make it unusable but definitely made the overall Q3 experience feel less premium. The grip would come out slightly loose from the hot shoe even on first use right after pushing it back into position, I was concerned the movement would eventually cause wear for the camera so I took it off and requesting a return. 

This also made me second guess whether I should buy the official thumb grip, because if there's wiggle room there, then I would rather run my Q3 without a grip

I asked the seller for return conditions... I'm also worried about what this movement could ultimately cause on the flash shoe.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:40 AM, adrianh said:

I second this question. I’ve been impressed with their grip, and their thumb thingy is much cheaper than anyone else’s. It doesn’t cover the buttons, it goes above them. Has no one tried it?

• 3 months later...