Q3 Thumb Support availability?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all - anyone know where I could find the black Q3 Thumb Support?  It seems there’s plenty available in Brass and Silver but the Black version seems nowhere to be found!

I'm located in the states.  Anyone know where it might be in stock here?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

11 hours ago, LarsOtium said:

Now that’s dedication!

I think Leica really dropped the ball on this.  Plenty of silver and brass thumb supports available, but not a black one to be found.  I wound up buying a silver one because I am so used to back-button focus.  Still waiting for a black one though.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Delboy72 said:

Thanks!  Just tried to order it and received a message that they will contact me within 7 business days with an overseas shipping quote!  I'm pretty sure by the time they contact me the thumb support will be out of stock!  :)

7 hours ago, 1945 Mouton said:

I think Leica really dropped the ball on this.  Plenty of silver and brass thumb supports available, but not a black one to be found.  I wound up buying a silver one because I am so used to back-button focus.  Still waiting for a black one though.

I must say that given the price Leica extracts for its "options" (reminds me of outrageous Porsche pricing), it does stick in my craw to have to wait long lead times and/or search high and low for the stuff!

But it is part of the Leica game for better or worse…

Edited by LarsOtium
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 8:23 PM, 1945 Mouton said:

Didn't realize Lim's makes one. Thanks for the tip. Just ordered one.

My Lim’s thumb grip arrived today.  Wasn’t sure I’d like the brass buttons but they look surprisingly good.  No complaints about it as it works and fits perfectly.  Now I just wish RRS would also make their L bracket/grip for the Q3.  

I know the OP is in the USA but in case of those in the UK, I just received mine in black from Red Dot Cameras today.

I have to say I’m really impressed. It fits beautifully and feels really good. It definitely enhances the ergonomics of the camera.

I also have a JJC grip for the Q2 on my Q3. The grip fits the shape of the Q3 perfectly, and feels great, but the SD card can’t be removed without removing the grip which is a pain. If you’re using USB for file transfer that’s probably OK, but I’ve found that for some reason Lightroom doesn’t combine (treat as a single image) RAM+JPG images when imported via USB but it does when imported by SD card, so I prefer SD card. I have an IDS grip for the Q3 coming shortly.

Overall, the grip and thumb grip make the Q3 a really satisfying thing to hold and use. Pricey accessories but worth it IMHO.

I happen to be in the UK for work and was able to purchase a Q3 Thumb Support in black at Red Dot Camera in London, and it seems like they have plenty in stock for those in the London area. Great store by the way, tons of great second hand stock of all things Leica!  My Q3 Package is finally complete!