Leica Q3 exposure lock half pressed shutter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unless I was completely oblivious to this, but does the Q3 not have the ability to exposure lock at half pressed shutter? couldn’t find it in the menu settings.  

Anyways, my workflow process is:

Aperture priority, center weight, half press shutter to lock exposure on subject (focus initially set at center), recompose composition and fire. 

Bur today, I realized that if the center focal point moves to a much brighter spot (as i recompose), the exposure would automatically readjust to better for the bright area, as opposed to my subject who is usually darker. 

How can I go back to having the exposure locked at when half pressed?

4 minutes ago, bobtodrick said:

Uhhh, because sometimes you want to focus and expose for something and then recompose to put the subject in another part of the frame.

Standard practice for about…75 years.

I guess the "modern" way is to shift the AF frame to where the subject is rather than move the whole camera. But that doesn't help if the Centre Weighted circle doesn't move too.

In any case page 117 of the Q3 Manual "Exposure Lock" tells you about locking exposure.

Edited by Corius

29 minutes ago, Corius said:

I guess the "modern" way is to shift the AF frame to where the subject is rather than move the whole camera. But that doesn't help if the Centre Weighted circle doesn't move too.

In any case page 117 of the Q3 Manual "Exposure Lock" tells you about locking exposure.

I’ll agree that is the modern way.

But after 40 years (in my case) of doing it the ‘old’ way the process is ingrained…I find it faster.

Someone brought up solely in the digital age probably finds the old way slower.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb bobtodrick:

Uhhh, because sometimes you want to focus and expose for something and then recompose to put the subject in another part of the frame.

Standard practice for about…75 years.

75 years ago you didn't have AF and for sure no AF field over the whole field. welcome to the future. Standard practice  75 years ago, but not now anymore

Edited by TDE-Photo

45 minutes ago, TDE-Photo said:

75 years ago you didn't have AF and for sure no AF field over the whole field. welcome to the future. Standard practice  75 years ago, but not now anymore

Maybe for you…but yours is not the only way.

Why do so many people today feel that because they do or think something everyone should?

What a boring world that would be!

3 hours ago, danieldouloslee said:

How can I go back to having the exposure locked at when half pressed?

My Q3 always locks exposure with half-press. Anybody else has a Q3 that does not lock exposure with half-press?

vor 34 Minuten schrieb bobtodrick:

Maybe for you…but yours is not the only way.

Why do so many people today feel that because they do or think something everyone should?

What a boring world that would be!

a world with sharper photos, cause no focus errors because of recomposing :)

vor 15 Minuten schrieb SrMi:

My Q3 always locks exposure with half-press. Anybody else has a Q3 that does not lock exposure with half-press?

I think that is not the point. One might like to lock exposure sepately from focus or lock focus separately from exposure. The functions are called AE-L or AF-L. They can be put onto a function button resp. 2.

15 minutes ago, TDE-Photo said:

a world with sharper photos, cause no focus errors because of recomposing :)

This is what is one of the things that is wrong with digital...OMG it has to be sharp.

For years I've had a copy of this iconic image hanging in my office.

Amazing how many 'new' photographers first comment is...'it isn't sharp'.

If you fall into that category...you just don;t get photography.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 5 Minuten schrieb bobtodrick:

This is what is one of the things that is wrong with digital...OMG it has to be sharp.

For years I've had a copy of this iconic image hanging in my office.

Amazing how many 'new' photographers first comment is...'it isn't sharp'.

If you fall into that category...you just don;t get photography.

we are getting off topic, but investing in very expensive lenses to get unsharp results due to an old habit is a waste of money :)

and by the way, I'm an "old" photographer, but the photo is not sharp. and if Robert would have the modern cameras, he would have been happy to get this shot in focus, for sure

Edited by TDE-Photo

5 minutes ago, TDE-Photo said:

we are getting off topic, but investing in very expensive lenses to get unsharp results due to an old habit is a waste of money :)

and by the way, I'm an "old" photographer, but the photo is not sharp. and if Robert would have the modern cameras, he would have been happy to get this shot in focus, for sure

You’re funny.

I have two shows on at the moment (you can find a post in Barnacks Bar).

All are sharp.

And horrors…some of them were taken using the aforementioned method.

I guess I rely on skill rather than ‘very expensive lenses’.

I’ll be leaving this conversation now…it appears you have a one track mind.

vor 1 Minute schrieb bobtodrick:

You’re funny.

I have two shows on at the moment (you can find a post in Barnacks Bar).

All are sharp.

And horrors…some of them were taken using the aforementioned method.

I guess I rely on skill rather than ‘very expensive lenses’.

I’ll be leaving this conversation now…it appears you have a one track mind.

I believe in Physics, and when you are good at Physics you can calculate the error by this method for a given fstop if not, you might not even get it! But let's go back to the topic! It was the exposure lock

26 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

I think that is not the point. One might like to lock exposure sepately from focus or lock focus separately from exposure. The functions are called AE-L or AF-L. They can be put onto a function button resp. 2.

OP asked why his Q3 does not lock exposure with the shutter half-press. I answered that my Q3 locks exposure with half-press, and his Q3 should too. How is that answer not on topic?

Instead of answering OP's question, people started scolding him for his workflow. IMO that is off-topic and inappropriate.

• Like 3

vor 2 Stunden schrieb SrMi:

OP asked why his Q3 does not lock exposure with the shutter half-press. I answered that my Q3 locks exposure with half-press, and his Q3 should too. How is that answer not on topic?

Instead of answering OP's question, people started scolding him for his workflow. IMO that is off-topic and inappropriate.

You're right. It does indeed lock.