35mm lux FLE vs 35mm lux FLE CF - shots at mfd?

KateStarr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

I’m looking to add a 35mm lux to my kit and am trying to choose between the FLE and the new FLE CF. I LOVE the square lens hood of the FLE and the notion that I might be able to get one new for a bit of a discount, but feel like maybe I’d be better off getting the CF. I’m not sure how often I’d actually shoot between .4m and .7m, though. I will be using the lens on both an M10R and a SL2-S. I’d appreciate anyone’s thoughts on why they prefer one over the other.

What I would REALLY like to see though, is if anyone has both lenses if they could post a picture taken at the mfd of each lens just to get a sense of how much of a difference .4m vs .7m really makes in actuality. Any sort of scene would do, but a portrait would be nice. Thank you!

I have owned both....

I wouldn't want to give the new one back. I really like the retractable hood for everyday use so its not as bulky. The metal hood although stylish, makes the lens considerably longer. 

I also enjoy the CF when I want it. Even just at .6 or .5 when in a tight space, you have that latitude. 

Honestly though you can't go wrong with either lens. Both are going to have good enough IQ for anything you want to do. You know yourself, will you always want the new 35? My guess is yes so start there. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shoot RF only, so my 35 Summilux ASPH v.1 will stay.  No reason for me to introduce more mechanical and operational complexity, with no practical gain given my shooting style.  My SL2 with SL lenses will focus as close or closer than the new M lenses anyway if needed. 

I do like, however, the apparently improved aperture ring detents with the new version, but not enough to make the switch.

Jeff

I find the current prices of the FLE v1 quite depressed, which is a good thing for buyers. Maybe what you could do is pick up a used FLE v1 and a 3rd party close focus/helicoid adapter for your SL2s. That combo plus some use on the M10R (infinity to MFD) should give you a good idea of how much you'd use the close focus and whether you feel the neeed to get the v2 after (with the M10R, you'd know you'd appreciate the close focus if you find yourself wanting to go closer than the 0.7m mfd but are limited and with the SL2s you can see how much you engage the helicoid adapter to get closer). 

I had a 35apo-M and didn't use the close focus that much (it is one of those YMMV situations). I found it useful for documenting things and getting a bit close for enviromental portraits but i used it far less than i thought i would, hence the suggestion to give it a try yourself. 

I'm a big fan of the FLE and the close focus definitely makes it a more all rounded lens (no pun intended in view of the additional aperture blades) but I'm finding the price difference between selling my FLE and "upgrading" to the v2 hard to justify as the gains are not significant enough, since on paper optically they are supposed to be the same. I agree the rectangle hood makes the lens longer, but i find it a bit more sturdy than the slide out hood and you can always use the FLE v1 without a hood for more compactness - though if i were to choose either lens based on design and hood i'd pick the v2 for compactness and convenience.

Edited by chasdfg
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, chasdfg said:

I find the current prices of the FLE v1 quite depressed, which is a good thing for buyers. Maybe what you could do is pick up a used FLE v1 and a 3rd party close focus/helicoid adapter for your SL2s. That combo plus some use on the M10R (infinity to MFD) should give you a good idea of how much you'd use the close focus and whether you feel the neeed to get the v2 after (with the M10R, you'd know you'd appreciate the close focus if you find yourself wanting to go closer than the 0.7m mfd but are limited and with the SL2s you can see how much you engage the helicoid adapter to get closer). 

This is exactly what I am doing right now. Purchase of a v1 at a nice price: just done. Purchase of a close focus adapter: research in progress. 😁

I used to have the FLE 1 and sold it s couple of years ago.. regretted it but it was to fund for another glass which was a mistake..

however when i started looking for another last year, i was told the newer version was coming and so i waited.. got it end of last year and couldnt be happier.. the close focusing is a niche feature to have.. hood was alright but i prefer the old designed which i can use without it to keep it compact.. but not a deal breaker

either FLE or FLE II wont hurt, just depends if you really gonna use that close focus distance

i know i do, i love shooting details at times