IR Dust Removal (Plustek 8200Ai , Vuescan Raw DNG + Negative Lab Pro)

grahamc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.  

I can't find a definitive answer whether IR dust removal works when scanning on the Plustek , using Vuescan (RAW / DNG) and then NLP for conversion.

I understand dust removal should work if 'RAW output to' is set to 'SAVE'.

Any experiences/recommendations from members here with the same process flow, please?

And if you are using IR cleaning Vuescan are you using mild/medium/strong ?

So far I can't see the clean actually doing anything, although I think my negs that appear dusty might have some processing issues rather than actually being dusty.  I'd still like to know whether the IR in Vuescan plays well with Plustek > RAW > NLP though for future reference.

Thanks 

Graham

On plustek via silverfast scanning as Tiff, it works fine, i usually make a small mask around the area i want to clean, set it to 18

i don't use vuescan, but i know in silverfast if i scan as raw[dng] everything is automatically off, so IR/curves/NR etc etc will not work because its making a raw file

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, frame-it said:

On plustek via silverfast scanning as Tiff, it works fine, i usually make a small mask around the area i want to clean, set it to 18

i don't use vuescan, but i know in silverfast if i scan as raw[dng] everything is automatically off, so IR/curves/NR etc etc will not work because its making a raw file

Thanks - yes on Vuescan apparently nothing works in RAW also , with the exception that if you tick ' RAW file to "SAVE" ' then apparently IR works.    I can't see that it is working , which is why I posted this thread.   but I could be wrong. 

I might also try a tiff (for which IR works of course) to see a point of reference for comparison and whether the IR is working in raw. 

Edited by grahamc