Rant on Firmware Updates

barjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the latest version of the firmware the problem beetween jpeg and dng files (attached files: jpeg left, dng: right) has totally disappeared.

I use always AWB now.

François

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robert Bergman's monograph "A Kind of Rapture". His philosophy is to "print the negative", ie: let the color go where it wants to go and see what happens.
...easily said Sean, but one has to be really on the ball and a damn discerning colourist to pull it off. It's hard work getting those subtle red hues to dance around the image. Remember he also picks up that moment"after" and his portraits drift...............

Sorry, but they both look pretty bad to me....

Have to agree but I think he posted images of shot before he did the upgrade.

It would be nice to see some after the new firmware upgrade.

(If this are with the new firmware they are just as bad as before).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...easily said Sean, but one has to be really on the ball and a damn discerning colourist to pull it off. It's hard work getting those subtle red hues to dance around the image.

That's absolutely true. And it is so often the case that an artist explains what he or she does in very simple terms when, in fact, what he or she is doing is anything but simple. When Bob was describing his approach to color, to Ben Lifson and myself, the phrase was always "I just print the negative". But, sticking to simple color film, he came to know exactly what that negative was going to do when "given its head" (my term). And he is, indeed, one of the best colorists in photography.

On this same topic, simple statements that encompass complex things.

"I see the thing. I feel the thing. I make the thing." - Andre Kertesz

"I photography animals." - Garry Winogrand

Helen Levitt and I were talking at her kitchen table one afternoon and I asked her what brought her to do certain sets of pictures in color. To paraphrase, she said, "I like color very much but its so much more expensive to work with." <G> This from one of the best color photographers we've yet seen.

Cheers,

Sean

Mark,

This shot (dng+jpeg) was made with the version before the 1.107.

May be the second one is little too much warm but, for me, it's not so bad (it was 9 pm in Paris, 08/06/07).

You may not agree with me, but the aim was to show the difference beetwen green jpeg and dng; the AWB is now not an issue (imho).

François

Mark,

This shot (dng+jpeg) was made with the version before the 1.107.

May be the second one is little too much warm but, for me, it's not so bad (it was 9 pm in Paris, 08/06/07).

You may not agree with me, but the aim was to show the difference beetwen green jpeg and dng; the AWB is now not an issue (imho).

François

Please post Jpg + DNG while using the NEW firmware.

The shots of the old AWB problems you posted everyone knows about.

We want to see shots using the NEW firmware where YOU SAY the old AWB problem is fixed.

(Or are you just a troll)????????????

Shootist,

Please, just relax. No troll here: probably I made a mistake to post these shots here to explain that, imho, there was no more issue with the 1.107 version for AWB. It seems I bring more confusion and I apologise for that, because I didn't use the 1.2 version.

François

Shootist,

Please, just relax. No troll here: probably I made a mistake to post these shots here to explain that, imho, there was no more issue with the 1.107 version for AWB. It seems I bring more confusion and I apologise for that, because I didn't use the 1.2 version.

François

Ok thanks for the explanation. I still see a big difference between shot to shot when using DNG and a real big difference between Jpg+DNG when I have used it, and this is with 1.107.