Optics Explorer

zeitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Nikon Rumors website reported a new optics website Optics Explorer.  (https://opticexplorer.sharedigm.com)  Oddly the Leica Rumors web page does not discuss the website.  Optics Explorer has a very large database.  Here is the page for the Leica Telyt-S 800mm f6.3 lens.  Only Leica will know if the information is correct.

https://opticexplorer.sharedigm.com/#search?query=Leica 800mm

It is interesting to see the index of refraction of each of the three elements elements.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting - thanks for the Link !

... the refraction indexes of the 3 elements of the Telyt-S look correct... but the sourcing (Schott) does not agree with the report of Marco Cavina, who says that two of the 3 glasses were in-house developed (and. I think, manufactured too) by Leitz :  http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Leitz_Telyt-S_800mm_6,3/00_pag.htm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Thanks 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb luigi bertolotti:

glasses were in-house developed (and. I think, manufactured too) by Leitz

While Leitz did some serious in-house developing of advanced optical glass, I am not sure they ever produced that in-house developed glass themselves (except, of course, the small amount needed for development). Rather, I seem to remember that they had such glass mass produced by glass makers like Schott.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

the refraction indexes of the 3 elements of the Telyt-S look correct

I was actually expecting higher indexes of refraction in the 800mm Telyt-S.  But this may have been the period of development of this type of glass.  Not too much later, lenses from Nikon had indexes of 1.80.  In a quick at current designs the highest Nikon index I saw was 1.88.  The highest Leica index I saw in a current lens is 1.92.

A day later this website was included on the Leica Rumors website.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wizard said:

While Leitz did some serious in-house developing of advanced optical glass, I am not sure they ever produced that in-house developed glass themselves (except, of course, the small amount needed for development). Rather, I seem to remember that they had such glass mass produced by glass makers like Schott.

Yes, that is at all logical : after all Leitz never was, in strict sense, a real manufacturer of optical glass , so not strange that they made agreements with Schott to give ("sell") them the formula and process to obtain a certain glass they did develop; my speculation was that, given the very low numbers of the Telyt-S, they could have made the glass  in house... but just a supposition, of course.

• Like 1