Steve McCurry: The Pursuit of Colour

SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone seen Steve's recent documentary McCurry: The Pursuit of Colour? Based on the trailer, Leica SL2 features prominently in the movie. 

Here is also a recent interview:
Steve McCurry: film or digital – it doesn't matter

Quote about SL2: "It's the best camera I've ever used."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Met Steve yesterday at the Leica Dubai stand at Xposure 2023. Lovely guy.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
23 minutes ago, JIEFACHE said:

Despite all the criticism I read here, a great photographer. Whether he uses Leica, Nikon or Panasonic? Frankly, I don't give a damn. what matters are the results!

Yes, some jealousy going on here.

Steve is one of the most monetarily successful photographers it time.

Pretty sure a ‘free’ camera doesn’t mean squat to him.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bobtodrick said:

I'm pretty sure the free camera is not the reason he uses them.  But he gets paid.  And more power to him.  I'd love to get paid to use gear!

7 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

He only made money because he is as unethical and as slimy as they come.  Sorry, but I zero respect for him.  Kevin Carter was more of a real photographer than McCurry will ever be.

On 2/12/2023 at 4:55 AM, LD_50 said:

I watched it recently. I only recall seeing Nikon gear. 

SMcC was featured pretty heavily during the Leica SL2 launch events in Nov 2019.  I went to the Sydney one and they showed him in a video using the new camera in China.

7 hours ago, AliensExist said:

He only made money because he is as unethical and as slimy as they come.  Sorry, but I zero respect for him.  Kevin Carter was more of a real photographer than McCurry will ever be.

Love posted like these from people who hide behind fake, made up monikers.

if your going to slag others use your name ‘AliensExist’.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 10:01 AM, SrMi said:

Has anyone seen Steve's recent documentary McCurry: The Pursuit of Colour? Based on the trailer, Leica SL2 features prominently in the movie. 

Here is also a recent interview:
Steve McCurry: film or digital – it doesn't matter

Quote about SL2: "It's the best camera I've ever used."

Yes, I have seen this film.  It’s a well-produced bio-doc profile of Steve’s life and work.  (It also explains his right hand disability…finally!)  I think anyone interested in his work, or in what it takes to reach and maintain a position near the top of this segment of pro photography, will find it informative and engaging,

I admire and respect Steve’s work and have done so for many years.  He’s a quite unique person who has literally devoted his entire life to pursuing visual storytelling often at great costs to his health and safety.  Now that he has finally settled down to having a family life late in his life I doubt we’ll see new photographic plateaus from him.  But that’s fine, as the bodies of work he’s already produced are substantial.

Re: his endorsement of the Leica cameras as the “best”…well.  All I can say is that he might as well have had a Nikon slr prosthetically attached to his hand for the past 30+ years.  I’ve never even touched a Nikon camera but I did live a Canon-centric life for many years.  And all I can say, again, is … well.

Edited by KenTanaka
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

Love posted like these from people who hide behind fake, made up monikers.

if your going to slag others use your name ‘AliensExist’.  

First of all, most of the members on here have made up names, including some in this thread.  You should check this before saying anything.  Secondly, what is “slag” in this conversation? 

Lastly, I am entitled to my opinion as it is based on facts.  Why don’t you research how this goofball ruined the Afghan girl’s life by taking that picture (which he did without her family’s permission).  Educate yourself: https://thewire.in/media/afghan-girl-steve-mccurry-national-geographic

In the end, McCurry is nothing but a slime ball who exploited someone and profited from it.  Then you wonder why the people in these countries hate foreigners.  Especially those with a camera. 

43 minutes ago, AliensExist said:

First of all, most of the members on here have made up names, including some in this thread.  You should check this before saying anything.  Secondly, what is “slag” in this conversation? 

Lastly, I am entitled to my opinion as it is based on facts.  Why don’t you research how this goofball ruined the Afghan girl’s life by taking that picture (which he did without her family’s permission).  Educate yourself: https://thewire.in/media/afghan-girl-steve-mccurry-national-geographic

In the end, McCurry is nothing but a slime ball who exploited someone and profited from it.  Then you wonder why the people in these countries hate foreigners.  Especially those with a camera. 

The Wire, not exactly in unbiased news source https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-daily-wire/

So just because you quote a not unbiased opinion source (the Wire is not considered a news source)…yes, you slagged him.

I notice you failed to mention it was McCurry who instrumented her evacuation and relocation to Rome.

Edited by bobtodrick

7 minutes ago, bobtodrick said:

The Wire, not exactly in unbiased news source https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-daily-wire/

So just because you quote a not unbiased opinion source (the Wire is not considered a news source)…yes, you slagged him.

I notice you failed to mention it was McCurry who instrumented her evacuation and relocation to Rome.

Again, do you know what “slag” is? You keep using it in a context that you believe means something in this conversation.  Also, you can use whatever malarchy you want to try and prove your point.  The fact is that McCurry ran into an all girls school, took advantage of an 8 year old girl, and made a profit off of doing so.  Why didn’t he go and take pics of the adult women in the village without their permission?  Oh, would it be possible because the villagers would have harmed or even killed him?  Stay over there in Alberta man. 

Lastly, McCurry is an exploitative individual.  This comment from another reliable news source says it all:

“It is not fair that Gula had to live a life of fear and danger while McCurry was able to receive praise for his photo. She was the subject and should’ve been rightfully compensated. Instead, she was subjected to decades of fleeing in search of safety for her family. Her recent refuge in Italy can be seen as good news, but her situation should serve as a lesson for exploitative photojournalists so that upcoming generations do not make the same mistakes as he did. “

58 minutes ago, AliensExist said:

That article uses Tony Northrup's "investigation." Tony Northrup's video about the Afghan Girl has been heavily criticized and has been called a hit job. I believe Tony apparently even tried to backtrack in a follow-up video. Northrups have a dubious reputation among photographers. They are mainly focused on increasing traffic to their YouTube channel. No, Tony Northrup is not a reliable source.

On the other hand, Kevin Carter was heavily criticized for shooting his Pulitzer-winning image (a starving Sudanese toddler stalked by a vulture). While I think his work was important to raise awareness, esthetically, his images do not hold a candle to McCurry's work. 

Kevin Carter committed suicide shortly after receiving Pulitzer. There are many speculations about the reasons.

Did anyone watch the documentary "The Death of Kevin Carter?"

42 minutes ago, AliensExist said:

Again, do you know what “slag” is? You keep using it in a context that you believe means something in this conversation.  Also, you can use whatever malarchy you want to try and prove your point.  The fact is that McCurry ran into an all girls school, took advantage of an 8 year old girl, and made a profit off of doing so.  Why didn’t he go and take pics of the adult women in the village without their permission?  Oh, would it be possible because the villagers would have harmed or even killed him?  Stay over there in Alberta man. 

Lastly, McCurry is an exploitative individual.  This comment from another reliable news source says it all:

“It is not fair that Gula had to live a life of fear and danger while McCurry was able to receive praise for his photo. She was the subject and should’ve been rightfully compensated. Instead, she was subjected to decades of fleeing in search of safety for her family. Her recent refuge in Italy can be seen as good news, but her situation should serve as a lesson for exploitative photojournalists so that upcoming generations do not make the same mistakes as he did. “

Ohhhh, now you’re yelling.  A little childish, eh.

You say you’re entitled to your opinion, yet one someone expresses a different opinion you resort to yelling.

Grow up!!