Best 35mm compact lens for Leica film M

Dbrass

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Trying to nail a good quality, well priced fairly compact 35mm lens for my first film M (MP), I don’t want to buy another 35mm later, I prefer to buy once, use and keep using.
Voigtlander seems to be the best bang for buck. Generally I hate vignetting and understand reading reports that vignetting occurs differently depending on whether you’re on a digital or film body. Here are my choices 

Ultron f2.0 

Nokton f1.4 ii

New release f1.5 

I like a sharp lens but mainly what is important is less vignetting and less distortion.

Look forward to hearing your feedback and thoughts.

Edited by Dbrass

I am pretty sure you won‘t find a lens that doesn’t have some kind of vignetting wide open. Personally I like the Nokton f1.4 II quite a lot. But it is a so called “character lens” and either you love it or you hate it. Given the photos I have seen so far the new Nokton f1.5 seems to be kind of a safer choice with a much more neutral rendering and a more neutral bokeh. But wide open you will have to live with the vignetting.

Another more or less safe bet would be the latest 35mm Summicron. Very sharp with controlled vignette and relatively affordable for a Leica lens.

• Like 1

I've had two copies of the ZM 35 f2 and didn't really like it. The bokeh was very harsh and super high contrast rendering did not suit my tastes on bnw film or digital (though I liked it on colour neg). I went through two copies as the first had so much Zeiss wobble that I sent it back before using (bought second hand from eBay). 

I've only just (as in last week) picked up a Summarit 2.5 and so far really like it. Small, sharp and Leica-like (despite what certain reviewers say). This was shot in super harsh mid-day sun over the weekend while my wife, our newborn and a mate of mine were out looking for this years Christmas trees. Shot on M-E 240 and scaled down to 25% in Preview for uploading just now.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nokton f1.4 II is a very character lens, compact yet glows wide open similar to Leica 35mm Noctilux "Steel Rim" re-issue.

New release f1.5 ("Nokton Vintage") is a sharp and contrasty lens, compact and quite close to the best 1.4 lenses in the Leica Universe (Zeiss ZM and Summilux FLE).

Both Voigtlander lenses are priced very low and yes, you do want the 1.4/1.5 speed if buying once.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dbrass said:

Trying to nail a good quality, well priced fairly compact 35mm lens [...] I like a sharp lens but mainly what is important is less vignetting and less distortion. [...]

I like much my Biogon 35/2.8 but it has more vignetting that what you could like. Same for the Skopar 35/2.5. The Summarit 35/2.5 is more expensive but is superior from this stand point. As for 35/2 and 35/1.4 lenses, they will have more vignetting at affordable prices i fear. So Summarit would be the way to go if you don't plan to lower your vignetting expectations IMHO. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Konica M-Hexanon 35/2.  Small, lightweight, inexpensive, excellent performer.

Don't confuse it with the Konica UC-Hexanon 35/2, which would cost you upwards of $2,000, owing to it being widely highly in demand, but despite being an exceptional lens it is loved for its character not its modern rendering.

Pete.

Another really tiny 35 is the Kobalux 35/3.5, which is also very inexpensive (and was also sold under the brands "Avenon" and Pasoptic").  It fulfills two of your criteria, which is why I mention it, but I suspect it might fail your vignetting requirements.

Pete.

→ cron v4 35mm

→ cron asph 35mm

heliar 40mm 2.8 (close enough to 35)

→ summaron 35 f2.8

→ biogon 35mm f2.8

→ voigt 35mm f1.5 (haven't tried it but looks amazing)

PS these are not my fav 35 lenses but are the ones that are sharp enough even wide open. I do prefer summicron v1 & steel rim & nikkor 35 1.8 / 2.5 over any of the above.

Am 6.12.2022 um 20:11 schrieb Dbrass:

Trying to nail a good quality, well priced fairly compact 35mm lens for my first film M (MP), I don’t want to buy another 35mm later, I prefer to buy once, use and keep using.
Voigtlander seems to be the best bang for buck. Generally I hate vignetting and understand reading reports that vignetting occurs differently depending on whether you’re on a digital or film body. Here are my choices 

Ultron f2.0 

Nokton f1.4 ii

New release f1.5 

I like a sharp lens but mainly what is important is less vignetting and less distortion.

Look forward to hearing your feedback and thoughts.

i shoot film only. I´m a long time user of the S´lx 35 FLE and it´s predecessors, use a `Cron asph 35, a Summarit 35/ 2,4 and a Color Skopar 35mm F 2,5.   If you  want one 35 : the Summarit is clearly the lens to choose. No need to look back if the results are what counts. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spydrxx said:

They will all do a good job, but you should also factor in your budget. If the 35 will be your primary lens, I'd say go all the way, but if it is only a secondary lens, I'd go with a budget friendly choice.

I’m a 35/50mm user and am looking to buy both. Budget is important, I don’t have the funds to splash on a summicron let alone a summilux.

20 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

→ cron v4 35mm

→ cron asph 35mm

→ heliar 40mm 2.8 (close enough to 35)

→ summaron 35 f2.8

→ biogon 35mm f2.8

→ voigt 35mm f1.5 (haven't tried it but looks amazing)

PS these are not my fav 35 lenses but are the ones that are sharp enough even wide open. I do prefer summicron v1 & steel rim & nikkor 35 1.8 / 2.5 over any of the above.

I love 40mm but the MP doesn’t have the framelines so was going to go with both a “budget” friendly 35+50mm

2 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

i shoot film only. I´m a long time user of the S´lx 35 FLE and it´s predecessors, use a `Cron asph 35, a Summarit 35/ 2,4 and a Color Skopar 35mm F 2,5.   If you  want one 35 : the Summarit is clearly the lens to choose. No need to look back if the results are what counts. 

Thanks, yep budget is a concern for me. The MP have swallowed enough of my money. I’ll be looking to use a 35+50mm but was going to start with buying a 35mm.

I was attracted to CVoigtlander for prices and quality, however have recently been made aware of the summarit as a financialcompromise between summicron and CV options. Do you find the lens a little slow for low light situations on film?

21 hours ago, lct said:

I like much my Biogon 35/2.8 but it has more vignetting that what you could like. Same for the Skopar 35/2.5. The Summarit 35/2.5 is more expensive but is superior from this stand point. As for 35/2 and 35/1.4 lenses, they will have more vignetting at affordable prices i fear. So Summarit would be the way to go if you don't plan to lower your vignetting expectations IMHO. 

Yes haven’t considered the summarit, was wondering if it struggles in low light. It does seem like a good financial compromise between the summicron and a more budget option like those listed.

still, at £1100+ for the summarit it is above the price ceiling I was imagining

I'm exclusively a film user and have had a number of 35mm lenses. My only lens for several years was a 35 Summicron ASPH, it's a great lens but I sold it. I have also owned a Zeiss 35 2.8 Biogon. Another great lens, 1/3 stops, an odd 43mm filter size and eventually the Zeiss wobble. I bought a V1 Voigtlander Utron ASPH when they were first introduced and liked it a lot. The V2 offers both a brass barrel and a focusing tab. It's a compact size and the hood, it's a little spendy, doesn't block much of the viewfinder. I't a good value for the money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbrass said:

Yes haven’t considered the summarit, was wondering if it struggles in low light. It does seem like a good financial compromise between the summicron and a more budget option like those listed.

still, at £1100+ for the summarit it is above the price ceiling I was imagining

Then you may wish to consider a Nokton 35/1.4 SC or MC v2. It will vignette more at f/1.4 of course, like almost if not all 35/1.4 lenses in the world, but at f/2.5 it won't vignette more than a Summarit at the same aperture i suspect. I did not measure them though and i use them only digitally so take what i say with a pinch of salt.

58 minutes ago, Dbrass said:

Do you find the lens a little slow for low light situations on film?

It's definitely a little slow for 400 ISO with moving subject, but you'd be amazed at how low a shutter speed you can go with an M and cubic grain to disguise very slight camera movement. Back when I shot film I could confidently take a shot on my M6 (loaded with HP5+) with a 50mm at 1/15, so long as the subject wasn't moving of course. 

35 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

50mm frame lines work great for a 40mm and they are quite close since Leica 50mm frame lines are a bit wider than actual 50mm.

Matter of tastes and/or eyesight i guess. Doesn't make it for me at all i must say. Used to work before the M8.2, 40mm frame lines were close to 35mm then but now they are neither 35 nor 50 to me. Thanks no thanks those are lenses i used to like on film and on my Epson R-D1 but i use them in EVF mode now exclusively. YMMV.