External Hard Drives for the EU

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica Family,

I've been on this forum for a very long time, since my Leica M6 days back in California.  I'm currently living in New York and getting ready to move to Portugal.  I store my photo files in external hard drives.  The plug indicates input of 100 - 240V.  Does this mean that all I would need in the EU is andapter plug for the E.U.? 

Thanks,

Wilfredo+

Edited by wilfredo

Hello Wilfredo, we go back a very long time together. Why won't your HDs work in Europe? Is it a voltage issue? If so, just search for a suitable step-down transformer. The slight difference in frequency might slow your drives down a little, but you could easily live with that. On the other hand, you could buy SSD (solid state drives), which are more efficient and take up less space.

Yes Wilfredo, all you will need is the plug adaptor. Today most complex electronics is multi voltage for US/CA/JP and Rest of World. 

Incidentally what I tend to do is buy one or two multi power strips and just the adaptors for them so you plug all your US plugs into that and then plug that into the EU wall socket. You can even buy international power strips which have almost universal sockets for everyone to plug into. 

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B014V5O6TK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

On 11/1/2022 at 5:00 PM, wda said:

Hello Wilfredo, we go back a very long time together. Why won't your HDs work in Europe? Is it a voltage issue? If so, just search for a suitable step-down transformer. The slight difference in frequency might slow your drives down a little, but you could easily live with that. On the other hand, you could buy SSD (solid state drives), which are more efficient and take up less space.

Looks like my external hard drives will be fine as they can handle up to 240V.  I'm moving to Lisbon in December. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 5:22 PM, Al Brown said:

If it says 100-240V it means it will work all over the globe. All you need is the plug adapter. Check the Portugal's most common variety, even within EU they differ (especially Italy).

I thought so.  I have plug adapers for the EU so I should be fine.  I was dreading the thought of having to transfer all my files to a new hard drive. 

Cheers!