Q3 Drive Mode?!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What on earth is the tons of different Drive Modes used for? 

Surely Single is the right option? What is the benefit of using the other ones? 

Surely this just creates more work in Lightroom having to go through much more...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Depends what you are shooting—I don’t tend to use 9 frames a second for landscape 😆
Look up microexpressions (and ignore all the nonsense about ‘revealing true emotions’ etc)

They happen in a fraction of a second , at any time. If you have a one shot chance while shooting people multiple frames a second can be a saving grace 😜

Posted (edited)

@mrkennethtong, as an answer to many of your questions on this forum, this universal solution is available.

More seriously, you come across as someone who is venturing into 'real' photography from using a smartphone. I think you would benefit from taking a short course on photography, including both photography basics (exposure, aperture, shutter speed) and techniques of current digital photography (PASM modes, shooting modes, optimising auto exposure and auto focus etc).

You will find many people here who are willing to help you, but on a forum there is always a risk of advice that is biased by personal experience, practice and preference, while courses and workshops are likely to be designed from a broader perspective.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On my Q2 I use Continuous Low drive mode. The shutter release is sensitive enough that it lets you just take one shot but, with a longer press, takes several frames. I rarely use it but it’s handy to have. I don’t claim to be a photographer with superb timing skills that always gets the subject in the right place at the right time. I’d just play around with the different modes and see which you like. I agree though that just pressing and hoping that one of a lot of images is the right one will be a pain to import into the computer. It also won’t help you hone your photography skills 

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2024 at 1:14 AM, mrkennethtong said:

What on earth is the tons of different Drive Modes used for? 

Surely Single is the right option? What is the benefit of using the other ones? 

Surely this just creates more work in Lightroom having to go through much more...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not sure why you are asking this question as I would have thought the answer was pretty obvious.  I would expect the camera to get a complete slating in the reviews if it didn't have this option at this price point. It would be a very limited one trick pony if it were single shot only. What are you shooting generally? 

On 1/7/2024 at 1:11 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

@mrkennethtong, as an answer to many of your questions on this forum, this universal solution is available.

More seriously, you come across as someone who is venturing into 'real' photography from using a smartphone. I think you would benefit from taking a short course on photography, including both photography basics (exposure, aperture, shutter speed) and techniques of current digital photography (PASM modes, shooting modes, optimising auto exposure and auto focus etc).

You will find many people here who are willing to help you, but on a forum there is always a risk of advice that is biased by personal experience, practice and preference, while courses and workshops are likely to be designed from a broader perspective.

So right.

I have been involved in camera sales now for thirty years.  Now I only work with government, schools and law enforcement but in the past I was on the ‘front counter.  I’d often be talking to someone buying their first good camera and the would ask ‘what lens I should buy in addition to the kit lens?’

Would try and get them to hold off before buying accessories and instead take a basic photo course…that it would save them a lot of frustration.

• Like 2

Why do first timers purchase outside their limited scope of knowledge. Asking a question about shooting modes is like asking what gears 1 through to 6 in your new car are for………..perhaps you need to learn to drive first…………………….

Edited by AussieQ

RTFM still applies. I simply don’t understand why people don’t do their homework before spending a not inconsiderable sum of money and figure out how the object works, so they get the most value out of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AussieQ said:

Why do first timers purchase outside their limited scope of knowledge. Asking a question about shooting modes is like asking what gears 1 through to 6 in your new car are for………..perhaps you need to learn to drive first…………………….

If you are going to learn to drive you need to be sitting in a car. I know that when I had my first lesson I knew nothing about how gears 1 through 6 worked. Fortunately my instructor answered all my questions rather than force me to read a book about it!

I suggest we all refrain from intellectual superiority and just try to be a bit more helpful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corius said:

If you are going to learn to drive you need to be sitting in a car. I know that when I had my first lesson I knew nothing about how gears 1 through 6 worked. Fortunately my instructor answered all my questions rather than force me to read a book about it!

I suggest we all refrain from intellectual superiority and just try to be a bit more helpful.

As has been suggested he should take a course (lots of instruction on YouTube)…same as you going to a driving instructor.

You didn’t just go up to a bunch of people on the street and ask ‘what is this button for?’

I think a bit of the impatience is from the fact the OP is asking questions every couple of days that are all covered in the manual.

28 minutes ago, bobtodrick said:

As has been suggested he should take a course (lots of instruction on YouTube)…same as you going to a driving instructor.

You didn’t just go up to a bunch of people on the street and ask ‘what is this button for?’

I think a bit of the impatience is from the fact the OP is asking questions every couple of days that are all covered in the manual.

He asked the question 6 weeks ago, yet we're still railing against it. He hasn't posted any contentious questions since then as far as I can see

Edited by Corius
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Corius said:

He asked the question 6 weeks ago, yet we're still railing against it. He hasn't posted any contentious questions since then as far as I can see

Agreed - unnecessary hostility way after the issue was responded to. Is the guy going to get flak two years down the line, any time someone else finds this thread?

Edited by LocalHero1953

Yeah - hostility is a neither helpful nor productive and just plain unkind. It certainly wasn't my intention to be "railing" the poster just pointing out why they would do it. I think these things can escalate simply because of a misinterpretation of the question in the original post. If it was a genuine question and not a sarcastic rhetorical question then give him his due and answer the question politely, sincerely and without malice.

• Like 2