Time for a CLA?

startover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M10 is over a year out of warranty and has seemingly started to show signs of aging.  The spring on the battery door doesn't seem as "tight" and sometimes (10-20% of times) the live view and shutter do not turn on after the battery is inserted.  When that happens, the camera has a steady red light but is otherwise unresponsive.  I simply re-do the sequence and it generally works. 

I live in New York and have worked with Leica NJ before.  Is a CLA in order?  I just wonder how long it would take and what it would cost.  Any alternatives?  Wary about sending my primary camera to the "black hole" of Leica Service.  Anyone with recent experience along these lines?  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

If you mean the latch of the bottom plate, this will become a bit looser over time. I think this is quite normal, as long as it doesn't become so loose that there is a risk of it opening by itself and as long there is no significant play when pressing the locked  bottom plate towards the body. The mechanism is fully visible so you can check for yourself. There is rotating piece of metal on the bottom plate with a "tooth" that goes into a slot in the body and behind a metal spring. Screws can be tightend with a suitable size Phillips screwdriver.

I have not encountered your other problem, at least not as often as you have. I assume you always turn off the camera with the power switch before taking out or inserting the battery?