Voigtlander 50mm F/1.0 in Addition to Leica 50mm f/1.4

TopDownDriver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, what are the thoughts on adding a Voigtlander 50mm f/1.0 to a kit which includes the Leica 50mm f/1.4?  Looking for something for night street photography and wondering if the light gathering capabilities are really that significant.  Also, wondering if at f/1.4 if the two lenses are basically equivalent in performance, so as to make the f/1.4 Summilux redundant?

For those that have the lens what are your thoughts?  Tried another manufacturer's f/.95 lens and it was so terrible, that I had to return it.

Thanks

You didn't mention what camera body you're using. Is it a digital Leica or film body? If film, get the Voigtlander for the extra stop. For digital, which body are you using? It's one stop of ISO difference between them, only you can know whether that's relevant for your usage. With your 50 Lux, what ISO are you shooting at during your night stuff? 

Also, greetings from Santa Fe-- I'm visiting your fair city this week (in from California). Gorgeous weather as always during this time of year here. 

Last week here was miserable, but it looks like you are in for wonderful weather.

Shooting with the M10-R.  Heading back to Cuba in February.  Shot in New Orleans at night and got some great shots with the 50 Lux.  However, there are a lot of street lighting in NO.  Cuba will be more diffuse and little lighting if any.

Have considered replacing the 50 f/1.4 with the Voit f/2 APO as I hear it is quite good and then supplementing with the f/1.0.  However, that is not happening soon.  Trying to sell a complete Fuji GFX kit as I am not doing portraits and landscape anymore.  Will know more once that sells.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TopDownDriver said:

Also, current lenses for Leica.

35 Lux
50 Lux
90 Cron
24 Lux (yes, I am that odd guy who prefers 24mm to 28mm) - Love this lens

This seems like a perfect kit. The DoF on the Voigtlander 50 f1 is so razor thin that it may make getting focused shots super challenging unless you have a lot of time to train with it. Check a DoF calculator to see what I mean. At 2 meters, the DoF at f1 is 1/4 inch. At 3 meters, it’s 1/2 inch. Even at 4 meters you aren’t even at a full inch of DoF. That’s super tough to work with moving subjects and still get acceptable sharpness. At f1.4 you’ve got about 50% more depth of field to work with. Still super challenging but more workable. 

I don’t think the case is there for the Voigtlander 50 f1. Their 50 APO Lanthar is a great buy, though. I’m thinking of swapping my 50 Lux for that one since I’m primarily a 35mm shooter but like having a 50 for occasional use. Probably going to get the new 35 Lux as an upgrade from my Voigtlander 35 Ultron (which is still a great little lens) and get the Voigtlander 50 APO instead of the 50 Lux. We’ll see. 

10 minutes ago, TopDownDriver said:

Last week here was miserable, but it looks like you are in for wonderful weather.

The light here is just so special. There’s a different quality to it compared to Southern California. More angular, and the foliage here gives everything so much texture and dimension as the light filters through it. Quite jealous that you live here! We spent the day at Ten Thousand Waves yesterday, such a treat. Dinner at The Compound last night was great too. I lived here in the early 2000s as a student and always love coming back. 

I use the Voigt 50 1.0 on my sl2 and sl2-s cameras.  It is actually very easy to focus with zooming in on the evf and I also sometimes use focus peaking.  but I’m not super fast and take my time a bit.  I love the lens but would never consider needing it and a 50 1.4

I’d pick one or the other and spend your dollars on a different focal length to enjoy.  But I do understand that some owners have 5 copies of dif 50mm lenses.
I’ve also owned two m 50 1.4 asph and liked them both.  Also easier to use and focus on an M cameras and obviously the same on an sl2.  I’m not a fan of their sliding hood design or tab focusing with nubbed ring combo.  I’d pick one or the other Leica… I think the voigt focussing ring feels perfect so that’s another reason I prefer it.  If I had $10k hanging around, I might go for the .95 but I think the Voigt is sharper wide open.  
Robb