Determine manufacturing date Leica S body

jip

1 hour ago, davidmknoble said:

I’ll look on the box as @Jeff Ssuggests and see what I can find!

But anything you find is specific to your sample, not the OP’s.  My most recent item, an M10-R BP, has the manufacture date in small print on the white sticker affixed to the outer plain grey box.  

Otherwise, one can contact Leica for possible answer.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From sending numerous sensor-check e-mails to Leica Customer Services over the years I've been told (on occasion) when various S bodies were manufactured. As an example, I was told that the 006 with Serial Number 4687210 was made in 2013. There doesn't appear to be any 2 digits, say, that represent 2013. I'll see if I can find more examples but it looks pretty random (to Jo Public, at least). 

On 9/2/2022 at 4:24 PM, jip said:

I don't have the outer grey box for my 007 anymore, I do for the 006. 

It was more something I'd like to know, and of course don't need to know. 🤣

As I noted, contact Leica if you’re curious enough; they’ll know.

Jefg

1 hour ago, Sarnian said:

From sending numerous sensor-check e-mails to Leica Customer Services over the years I've been told (on occasion) when various S bodies were manufactured. As an example, I was told that the 006 with Serial Number 4687210 was made in 2013. There doesn't appear to be any 2 digits, say, that represent 2013. I'll see if I can find more examples but it looks pretty random (to Jo Public, at least). 

Try decoding Hasselblad serial numbers. The seem to have been devised by Alan Turing. http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HT/HTDating.aspx

14 hours ago, Pieter12 said:

Try decoding Hasselblad serial numbers. The seem to have been devised by Alan Turing. http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HT/HTDating.aspx

Kodak used a similar code, based on the word CAMEROSITY (C=1). They also used a 13 month calendar.

This type of code must have been common in most of the XXth century. There are many reasons why you would want to include the production date in a serial number, but not make it obvious to customers. That's especially true with anything photographic that isn't film or chemistry. Some low-turnover items could be in warehouses for years before they find a customer.