Which non-Leica Ultra Fast 50 is your favorite?

Laharrier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you want a Zeiss f1.5  Sonnar for character, try the original wartime/postwar version.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

My taste will definitely differ from that of other members. Years ago I yearned for and finally secured a Canon 50/0.95 which I had converted to a M mount and collimated to my (then) M4. I was really disappointed by its performance wide open but noted that it did markedly sharpen up when closed down. Sold it and then bought a Noctilux 50/1.0 which I thought would be the holy grail and ultimately realized it was just too big and heavy for my everyday use, and after a year of mostly disuse sold it too. I wasn't using my 50 Summilux very often, and finally also sold it. About 6 months ago I decided to try the CV Nokton 50/1,5 ASPH. IMHO the jury is still out, as my shooting has been severely diminished since the outbreak of Covid, but I think it will fully meet my needs for a fast 50. I'm speaking of the LTM version, which I got so I could use it on my Barnack and M bodies in addition to a digital Sony.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

If you want a Zeiss f1.5  Sonnar for character, try the original wartime/postwar version.

Now you’re talking!!! That’s incredibly unique there! Beautiful. Reminds me of my Summitar. 

5 hours ago, Laharrier said:

Now you’re talking!!! That’s incredibly unique there! Beautiful. Reminds me of my Summitar. 

this might help, not M mount but usable with an adapter>

195 leica M39  lenses here >

https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/systems/c_55.html

181 M39 lenses here, some will work fine some may not >

https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/systems/c_14.html

14 pages here >

https://www.kentfaith.com/mount_27?page=1

74 Companies List here >

https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/39mm_screw_lenses

more >

https://www.canonrangefinder.org/Nikkor_50mm.htm

https://www.canonrangefinder.org/Minolta_lenses.htm

https://www.canonrangefinder.org/M39_lenses.htm

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 4:46 AM, Laharrier said:

......also curious about the 50 1.5 Heliar but that one is probably a bit closer in character to some lenses I already own. 

I have the Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 Heliar Classic.  It's an interesting lens and can create images with markedly different characteristics depending on subject, distance and aperture.  Specular background highlights at wide apertures in the close range (3/4 portrait distance) can take on a doughnut-like structure not unlike narrow angle mirror lenses that were popular for a while in the 90's.  The effect can  sometimes be almost overpowering, but there is much more to this lens.  With a different defocused background, the fall-off from an acceptably sharp central area is rapid but very soft and even and the single coating is probably mainly responsible for the muted colour palette. 

Stopped down to f5.6-8 it's a sharp enough lens for most non-technical purposes, but not in the same league as a 50mm summicron.  It's a nicely made lens in gloss black, and looks good on a black paint camera.  Overall, it's one of those lenses which can create images with a very different look  but requires a bit of understanding and user experience to achieve in a similar way that a Lensbaby Velvet does. 

It's a nice lens to have as an alternative partner to a more predictable 50mm summicron, elmar-m or summarit for those times when you want to utilise it's very different character. 

I bought my Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 Aspheric VM several months ago, without having to wait for it, so, from time to time, it has been in-stock. I made my buying decision, based upon images posted here, and at Fred Miranda’s forum. Plus, I liked the exterior aesthetic appearance of the lens, and appreciated that it was lighter in weight, and shorter in length, than the current f/0.95 Noctilux. When I received the lens, I was not disappointed. This being my only non-Leica-made 50mm M lens, it is, by default, my favorite.

I started Leica M shooting, with a pre-owned Summilux-M 50 ASPH, and later added a Special Edition 50-Jahre Summicron, which has the 1979, Version III, optical formula, and then an Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8 collapsible, so, I was not in need of a third-party 50mm, unless it added something special. The Summilux-M 50mm ASPH is why I added the Leica M system, so remains my favorite 50mm lens.

In my case, I wanted to deliver more light, to an M Type 246 Monochrom sensor, rather than buy an M10 Monochrom. I was willing to buy a pre-owned f/0.95 Noctilux, if necessary, in order to achieve this goal, but decided that the Nokton provided images that I really liked, while being shorter in overall length, and lighter in weight, so, was the better choice, regardless of the cost. 

The various made-in-China lenses have not tempted me. When I have noticed something that made me take a closer look, the product has been either too large, too heavy, or both. For me, an M lens must make sense, with its size and weight. I am not afraid of heavy lenses, but I use them on such cameras as the Nikon D5 or D850, or Canon 5Ds R. The Nokton f/1.0, on an M camera, is a sensibly-sized package, for my shooting.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 5:58 AM, Laharrier said:

Thanks! Definitely one I’m interested in. Hard to find with clean coatings though it seems 

Many Japanese sellers ("Hi I sell from Japan so I am honest")  offer as 'Mint++' lenses with the most horrible looking muck on the front lens. 

I got a great copy - & immediately sent it in for a CLA (van Maanen, NL) - the grease was totally solid. It now competes happily with my 50mm Summicron and Summilux. Single coated, but does not need a shade.

About interestingness: the Jupiter8 is great, but. . . in LTM is unfocusable. I have the Jupiter3 in true Ukranian Kiev mount. 

Edited by Alberti

vor 10 Stunden schrieb RexGig0:

... and later added a Special Edition 50-Jahre Summicron, which has the 1979, Version III, optical formula, ...

The Special Edition 50-Jahre Summicron has a body very similar to the Summicron 50 v2 (which was marketed from 1957 onwards I believe), but its optical formula is the same as the Summicron 50 v4 (without built-in hood) and current v5 (with built-in hood). You may be right in that the v4 was first sold in 1979 though, but it was v4, not v3.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wizard said:

The Special Edition 50-Jahre Summicron has a body very similar to the Summicron 50 v2 (which was marketed from 1957 onwards I believe), but its optical formula is the same as the Summicron 50 v4 (without built-in hood) and current v5 (with built-in hood). You may be right in that the v4 was first sold in 1979 though, but it was v4, not v3.

You are correct. The Version IV/V optical formula started in 1979. I knew that, and totally fumbled that one, perhaps by thinking about the barrel being reminiscent of the Version III ‘Rigid.”

I have discovered a new Japanese category - [ALMOST UNUSED] - and I am a fan.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, RexGig0 said:

I …  later added a Special Edition 50-Jahre Summicron, which has the 1979, Version III, optical formula…

It was kindly pointed out, to me, by wizard, that the above is incorrect. Indeed, I knew better, but blundered, inexcusably, and, now stand corrected. The Special Edition 50-Jahre Summicron-M 50mm lens has the 1979 Version IV optical formula, with a barrel that somewhat resembles the Version III Rigid Summicron.

Version IV (1979) optics. Version III-like barrel. 

The “50 Jahre” part refers to the fiftieth year of the Summicron 50mm lens, but this lens was not a reissue of the very first Summicron.

Edited by RexGig0

Update on my earlier post. This last week I received a Canon 55/1.2 lens from ~1968, and I am quite impressed. So far tested it only on my Sony A7rii. Hopefully next week I'll get a chance to test it on film. Quick conclusions...dreamy, but centrally acceptably sharp wide open (better than my earlier Noctilux and Canon 0.95), and very sharp by f/2. Heavy beast. I ended up purchasing the Canon FL version rather than the Leica LTM as the price difference was about $300-500, but I understand the lens specs & performance are the same, just the mount/internal focusing mechanism are different. It needs an external finder to use on either my Barnack or M bodies, and an adapter, but focus is only zone, so no wide open on these bodies.

Edited by spydrxx
Add photo
  • Like 2

Hah love this topic as my next potential purchase will be a 50mm lens... and the topic is not that simple (similarly to 35mm which I am shooting most of the time). After reading, downloading raw files + processing and having experience with some lenses I have a conclusion that the best way is to have 2 lenses of each kind for the focal length you shooting. If you pick just one you will never be happy.

This is what I face with 35mm now - I currently have Nokton 35 1.2 II which is gorgeous - images at 1.2-1.4 are great for 3/4 portraits, bokeh has vintage smell and general look is fantastic, BUT - it blocks viewfinder, is big, has no focus tab and is heavy. So ideally I would buy a Summicron so have 2 lenses (small an big) for different applications - street photo or portraits.

It is exactly the same with 50s I am exploring but here the solution is 3 lenses haha (in my case) - one all-rounder with standard rendering, say 'cron 50 v5, one ultra fast (Noct 095, TT,095 or V1.0) and one super vintage like V50 1.5 Heliar Classic.

I actually can't afford having 5 lenses so the choices are not that straight e.g. V50 1.2 is just fine but doesn't fall into any of my categories so I might not be 100% happy with it. You may say buy 50Lux and the job is done - nope - for that price I can have a cron and Heliar which gives amazing look.

I feel the pain of buyers who explore this topic heavily... the deeper you go the harder task is...

Before I bought my M 10R, I bought the VC 50 1.0 VM for the R IV. I was very satisfied with the Sony. But now I'm really excited about the M10 R. Open with a charming softness, but also with a pleasant sharpness. I find the appearance and bokeh very flattering.
Also stopped down to 4.0 / 5.6, it gets a brutal sharpness without sacrificing the image effect. In the end it was a good decision.

My favorite lens is still the Canon 50 0.95 TV version. Unfortunately with Canon L Mount, so I can't adapt it to another M10 R. So my question here:

I read that esa can be converted to Leica M Mount. Do any of you have any experience with this, or a link where I could contact you? I couldn't find it on the internet and would be very grateful for further information.