1/f rule by resolution

Bobby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

43 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Look at the rainbow effect/pattern in the center of the chart – not sure exactly what to call it. A perfectly non-aliasing shot would only show the black and white pattern with no artifacts.

Did you click on the image then click to see the full res image? Need to see it at 100%, and you can see the larger aliasing patterns at the center of the lower res chart shots.

Thank you. Yes. I looked at this images full resolution and with the loop. I do see the different patterns in the center of the star. Are those different patterns illustrating different levels of aliasing ? I do see a graduated level of center patterns with each file. 

Edited by LBJ2

11 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

Thank you. Yes. I looked at this images full resolution and with the loop. I do see the different patterns in the center of the star. Are those different patterns illustrating different levels of aliasing ? I do see a graduated level of center patterns with each file. 

Yes. 60mp shows minor pattern, but the lower res files produce a larger pattern. I should have done the test at a distance that made the aliasing easier to see, but I didn't know any better.

35 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Yes. 60mp shows minor pattern, but the lower res files produce a larger pattern. I should have done the test at a distance that made the aliasing easier to see, but I didn't know any better.

Looks like you put a lot of work into this regardless. Thanks for posting. I do see the gradual pattern increase with the files. I just didn't know what I was looking for with those charts. 

• Thanks 1

I can confirm that M-DNG and S-DNG show more aliasing (i.e., lower resolution) than L-DNG:

(Shot with M11, APO Summicron 35mm, f/2, 200% screen grab)

L-DNG:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M-DNG:

S-DNG:

M10-P (24MP)

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I can confirm that M-DNG and S-DNG show more aliasing (i.e., lower resolution) than L-DNG:

(Shot with M11, APO Summicron 35mm, f/2, 200% screen grab)

L-DNG:

M-DNG:

S-DNG:

M10-P (24MP)

Brilliant, this is what mine should have looked like. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Thank you for starting the discussion and identifying the issue!

Sure thing. You should post your results in the DPR thread as well just so that has a more definitive conclusion, especially since you were able to compare it with the native lower res shot.

• 4 weeks later...

You guys ought to post more pictures. I try to stay around or above 2/f with my M11 when I can. However, as others have said 60MP isn't less forgiving than 35MP somehow; it's just a larger image.

Here's a 1/f shot, M11 with APO 50 (shutter speed was actually 1/45). It looks close to perfect until you blow it up really big (view on Flickr). At that point, you can see a little camera shake. It's kind of frustrating, but taking away pixels wouldn't solve the problem; blown up to the same size it would just replace blur with pixelation. Is that really better? I don't think so.

A lot of things about the M11 serve as a reminder to slow down and take a deep breath.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremybunting/52309040411/in/album-72177720301469132/

Edited by Jeremy Bunting
  • Like 3

1/15 can be acceptable some time

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

https://www.instagram.com/kroke/

One thing I used a lot to minimize hand shake effect when working on my Quarries of New England series was a monopod. I shot most of the images with Nikon D800E, some D850, and some Leica M-P digital, and the monopod was really useful to steady the camera without resorting to a tripod. Monopods are more flexible to shoot with than a tripod, allowing very fast changes of direction and composition, horizontally at least. I was mainly shooting triptychs with three vertical frames for the series (examples here: https://keirst.myportfolio.com/quarries-of-new-england). Just got my M11 recently, and now that I have a large format printer (HP Z9+ 44") I do want to take advantage of the high res of the M11 and D850 to do some very large prints, Perhaps making a Japanese screen or two of some multi image scenes. So I think I should be toting my monopod more often.

Edited by sdk
  • Like 2