Purchasing new Leica cameras from the UK

9 hours ago, johnwolf said:

My understanding is that most Internet purchases for personal use are not subject to customs fees. CBP.org seems to confirm this: 

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases

John

From the website: “If the item's value is more than $2,000, it may be held at the mail facility until you can arrange for a formal entry. This may require either hiring a customs broker to clear your goods or you may file the paperwork yourself. Lost packages are hard to find. Since most packages sent through the mail do not have tracking numbers unless they are insured or you've paid to have a tracking number, it can be impossible to trace a "lost" package. If a package is lost a "tracer" should be initiated by the sender of the package.”

6 hours ago, Huss said:

It would be covered by Leica’s international warranty.  So dealt w in the same way.

True, but for problems out-of-the-box you'd ship it back to the dealer, presumably at your own expense. Probably worth the risk for this savings. Like I said, I'd do it if I were in the market for one.

21 minutes ago, ejg1890 said:

From the website: “If the item's value is more than $2,000, it may be held at the mail facility until you can arrange for a formal entry. This may require either hiring a customs broker to clear your goods or you may file the paperwork yourself. Lost packages are hard to find. Since most packages sent through the mail do not have tracking numbers unless they are insured or you've paid to have a tracking number, it can be impossible to trace a "lost" package. If a package is lost a "tracer" should be initiated by the sender of the package.”

Sounds like that's through the mail. I don't know how Red Dot ships, but they quoted me £115.00 to Chicago. 

1 hour ago, johnwolf said:

True, but for problems out-of-the-box you'd ship it back to the dealer, presumably at your own expense. Probably worth the risk for this savings. Like I said, I'd do it if I were in the market for one.

I'm lucky to be close to an official Leica Store.  I'd just go there if I had any issues and they'd take care of it.  I think there are a few authorized Leica dealers in Chicago, not sure how far that is from you.  

Edited by Huss

3 hours ago, Huss said:

I'm lucky to be close to an official Leica Store.  I'd just go there if I had any issues and they'd take care of it.  I think there are a few authorized Leica dealers in Chicago, not sure how far that is from you.  

I'm close to Tamarkin. But I checked Red Dot's return policy and they pay return shipping on defective items. So I'd have no problem doing this.

Edited by johnwolf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, johnwolf said:

Sounds like that's through the mail. I don't know how Red Dot ships, but they quoted me £115.00 to Chicago. 

I was charged £125.00 for the MP BP shipping by Red Dot Cameras to Maryland/VA area last week. They ship via DHL. I had no issues and it arrived two days later but DHL requested that I pay $45 usd to release it from customs. I read somewhere that this is DHL's own fee and not related to customs. 

Edited by twogun

3 hours ago, twogun said:

DHL requested that I pay $45 usd to release it from customs. I read somewhere that this is DHL's own fee and not related to customs. 

Hm they’re all out to make money. 

3 hours ago, twogun said:

I was charged £125.00 for the MP BP shipping by Red Dot Cameras to Maryland/VA area last week. They ship via DHL. I had no issues and it arrived two days later but DHL requested that I pay $45 usd to release it from customs. I read somewhere that this is DHL's own fee and not related to customs. 

It is an official fee, DHL charges for customs inspection (an authorized person) and process (service).

13 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Is this thread evidence that Kwazy's crazy plan might work? Cheap Leica's for our US friends whilst we starve and freeze in winter? Bravo!! :)

He'll probably try to spin it as 'a welcome boost to Global Britain's export market, while we take a novel approach to tackling the obesity crisis and make significant reductions in greenhouse gas emissions'.

I am really tempted to do this.  A new MP for less than a used one in the US.  There will be no 'affordable' Leica film camera - it is going to be a limited edition M6.  Buying an MP from the UK is the 'affordable' film camera.

I tried and failed last week.

Their response:

We are currently out of stock of the Black MP, but if you would like to order one, we would require a 10% deposit.

If we send it to you in the US, then yes, it would be tax free, but please be aware that payment for the deposit can be via a credit/debit card, but the balance must be via a bank transfer.”

I hope the exchange rate stays put for a while. 

On 9/28/2022 at 8:29 PM, plaidshirts said:

I tried and failed last week.

Their response:

We are currently out of stock of the Black MP, but if you would like to order one, we would require a 10% deposit.

If we send it to you in the US, then yes, it would be tax free, but please be aware that payment for the deposit can be via a credit/debit card, but the balance must be via a bank transfer.”

I hope the exchange rate stays put for a while. 

Will Red Dot let you pay in full instead of a deposit?

On 9/25/2022 at 7:10 AM, twogun said:

I just purchased a used Leica MP Black Paint from Red Dot Cameras. I'm based in the US and it was my first time purchasing a camera gear outside the country. 

They required a wire transfer for payment but everything went smoothly and I received the camera via DHL 2 days later. The BP MP was practically new when i received it. I was not charged VAT and even with the shipping cost I saved almost 1k USD than buying it in the US. Thanks to the strong USD exchange rate ! 

Reddotcamera's grading system is more conservative then other dealers. Most of the Excellent++ products from then I have bought have been like new, unless you use a microscope 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 9:51 PM, earleygallery said:

Is this thread evidence that Kwazy's crazy plan might work? Cheap Leica's for our US friends whilst we starve and freeze in winter? Bravo!! :)

A political comment ? As I write this the pound is now higher then it was before the budget statement. The USD has an independent momentum at the moment - don't expect it to last. If I was living in the US I would be making the most of it now...