Purchasing new Leica cameras from the UK

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/30/2022 at 9:29 PM, rtai said:

Will Red Dot let you pay in full instead of a deposit?

Just got word back you CAN pay in full and wait for delivery. The downside being your guess is as good as theirs as to when that would be.

I wound up finding one locally, less than a year old for about the same price.

• Like 1

Three weeks ago I bought a used 28mm Summaron with finder and hood (the classic LTM version) for the equivalent of $2600 from Leica Store Manchester shipped to the US via DHL and didn’t get hit with US Customs duty. Last week also from Manchester I bought a used silver chrome Leicavit for $1110 and DHL just sent me a bill for $126. I suppose US Customs doesn’t inspect every package. 

1 hour ago, armadsen said:

If I recall correctly, the US customs duty rate for photographic lenses is 2.3%, while for cameras it's 0. I had to pay ~$50 on the Summicron I ordered last week. But it should be that if you order a camera you wouldn't pay anything. 

I don’t know if accessories are in a special category or DHL had decided to jack me. Either I pay it or the package was going back to the UK and probably I would be liable for the return shipping.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, rtai said:

I don’t know if accessories are in a special category or DHL had decided to jack me. Either I pay it or the package was going back to the UK and probably I would be liable for the return shipping.

That’s DHL ripping you off, pretending it is a legit charge.  They tried the same thing with me when I sent a Nikon F2 for service to Sover Wong in the UK.  Coming back, DHL tried to hit me with that charge, I refused it and demanded a sensical explanation as to what that charge was for.  They relented.

16 hours ago, Huss said:

That’s DHL ripping you off, pretending it is a legit charge.  They tried the same thing with me when I sent a Nikon F2 for service to Sover Wong in the UK.  Coming back, DHL tried to hit me with that charge, I refused it and demanded a sensical explanation as to what that charge was for.  They relented.

When I got the payment demand the package was already on the way for delivery according to tracking. I should have waited a day if I had known. Oh well.

2 hours ago, rtai said:

When I got the payment demand the package was already on the way for delivery according to tracking. I should have waited a day if I had known. Oh well.

It wasn’t exactly easy for me.  When I first disputed the charge they flat out refused to discuss it.  I then escalated it saying I refused to accept their arbitrary statement and mentioned that none of the other shipping services levied such a charge.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 7:50 AM, colonel said:

Reddotcamera's grading system is more conservative then other dealers. Most of the Excellent++ products from then I have bought have been like new, unless you use a microscope 

I agree! My black paint MP came in spotless without brassing. it was listed as used. Just missing the original box but thats ok 

I bought a new M-A from Red Dot Cameras a few months ago, and couldn’t be happier with the transaction. Arrived in California 2 business days later.

One thing that I’m curious about is that this time customs didn’t hold it hostage until I gave them some information like they did last year in October when I bought a Rolleiflex from Magicflex (from Germany). In that instance, next thing I knew come tax season this year the California tax agency sent me a letter saying I owed Use Tax for it, which is equivalent to sales tax.

Edited by Ediz7531

On 9/26/2022 at 9:23 PM, johnwolf said:

I'm close to Tamarkin. But I checked Red Dot's return policy and they pay return shipping on defective items. So I'd have no problem doing this.

Tamarkin has a pretty good reputation.

They actually call  when they say so.

Lots of shops around  some are Corporate  some aren't..  Normally it's personal choice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is no duty on interchangeable lens cameras imported from a country that is under the NTR classification.
  You can see this here:

https://dataweb.usitc.gov/tariff/database/details/90065991

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Appears Leica jumped on to the overseas purchase here in the US during October. Leica mentioned 4 camera stores, Red Dot, others in Vienna, Berlin and Lisse, but there are others as well. Leica advertised could save $1,000+ and no tax purchasing from Europe and UK.  The British pound has rebounded more than the Euro so the EU may now be cheaper than the UK.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!