Hot shoe of M10 is too loose

MyLeicaWorld

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I attached the OEM thumbrest of M10 it sometimes fall down from the camera when I hold it upside down.. also it is the same for my 21 viewfinder.. what can be done to make them stay stable and tight  on the camera? Has anyone experienced a problem like this before ?

Edited by MyLeicaWorld

4 minutes ago, adan said:

Never used any thumbrest.

I may be able to help with the 21 finder, if you describe which model.

Yes Adan, this is the viewfinder I have..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

31 minutes ago, MyLeicaWorld said:

Yes Adan, this is the viewfinder I have...

Great!

In your second picture, notice the slit in one of the side flanges?

That slit is there to provide some springiness to grip the inside of the camera's shoe. But sometimes not enough with more modern Ms with "hot" shoes.

If you get a set of small "precision" screwdrivers, and use one with a flat blade (not phillips tip), you can insert the tip of that blade into the slit and then gently twist the screwdriver to widen the slit slightly  || > (|. So that there is a faint (0.5mm or less) bulge on the side of the flange, which will grip the camera shoe with more side-force.

Eventually, especially if removed and installed often, the pressure from being mounted will squeeze out the bulge, requiring another application of the screwdriver tip.

Personally, my 21 finders are a permanent part of my M10 bodies ;), removed only for studio flash connection, so they remain tight for years. But I keep one of those screwdrivers in my shooting bag, just in case....after crawling around under the seats of a tour bus for 15 minutes trying to find a finder that finally came loose (found it).

BTW this works with all of the Leitz/Leica 21/24 metal viewfinders with that slit. Including the current 12024/5 finders, but also the ones from the 1960s-70s.

Interesting that a.noctilux also uses a similar tool for a different technique (bottom-gripping rather than side-gripping) - I'll have to look into that.

Edited by adan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, adan said:

Great!

In your second picture, notice the slit in one of the side flanges?

That slit is there to provide some springiness to grip the inside of the camera's shoe. But sometimes not enough with more modern Ms with "hot" shoes.

If you get a set of small "precision" screwdrivers, and use one with a flat blade (not phillips tip), you can insert the tip of that blade into the slit and then gently twist the screwdriver to widen the slit slightly  || > (|. So that there is a faint (0.5mm or less) bulge on the side of the flange, which will grip the camera shoe with more side-force.

Eventually, especially if removed and installed often, the pressure from being mounted will squeeze out the bulge, requiring another application of the screwdriver tip.

Personally, my 21 finders are a permanent part of my M10 bodies ;), removed only for studio flash connection, so they remain tight for years. But I keep one of those screwdrivers in my shooting bag, just in case....after crawling around under the seats of a tour bus for 15 minutes trying to find a finder that finally came loose (found it).

BTW this works with all of the Leitz/Leica 21/24 metal viewfinders with that slit. Including the current 12024/5 finders, but also the ones from the 1960s-70s.

Interesting that a.noctilux also uses a similar tool for a different technique (bottom-gripping rather than side-gripping) - I'll have to look into that.

Thanks Adan, these are great advices.. I’ll be doing the things you advice me. And will let you know if it worked. Thanks again..

10 hours ago, MyLeicaWorld said:

I tried to attach a black tape band under them to make them thicker but I didn’t like  that sticky feeling..

Hey Kaan,

I'd suggest Faber-Castell "Tack-it adhesive, creative set".

6 hours ago, Erato said:

Hey Kaan,

I'd suggest Faber-Castell "Tack-it adhesive, creative set".

Hi Erato,

have you ever used it before? Is it easy to clean? Will it stick in the hot shoe?

10 minutes ago, MyLeicaWorld said:

Hi Erato,

have you ever used it before? Is it easy to clean? Will it stick in the hot shoe?

Yes, it's not a glue but it's quite solid with no harm to the hot shoe. 

I'd say that it's easy to clean. All that you'd need are four tiny spots to tack it. This is something mostly use in the jewel/diamond store or the price tag.

Beware to avoid to apply this upon the screws since it's relatively hard to remove.

Edited by Erato

• 2 weeks later...

As already mentioned there is one arched spring on each side of the hotshoe, looking like this:

First of all it is good to check that the springs are actually in place. There have been a few reports of the whole U-shaped spring plate falling off.

Then you can increase the (upward) spring pressure by lifting it with a flat screwdriver as described by previous posts. For most devices it is possible to get a very tight fit in this way.

• Like 1