Q2 Film Style Monochrom

trip35

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Forum,

I'm new to Q2 and would like to get some tips from you.
When I take photos with Film Style Monochrom JPG+DNG and I get B&W JPG and DNG. I love how they render Monochrom straight out of the camera. But sometimes, I want to adjust, for example highlight and subtle contrast and so on. It's okay with adjust settings JPG but I would like to get it from DNG. But when I tried to get B&W from DNG, it is quite not Film Style JPG out of Q2. I use Lightroom and simply I change my Profile from Adobe Color - Adobe Monochrom. Then, the tone is little bit yellowish than Film Style Monochrom JPG.

Is there any way to get any closer to Film Style Monochrom from DNG? Do I need a different Monochrom profile?
(I'm sorry if this is a Lightroom question...)

Best regards,

Attachment: Left is Film Style Monochrom, right is Lightroom Adobe Monochrom.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome :) 

Lightroom is not a precooked DNG machine - it is a program to enable you to create any look you like.

https://jkost.com/blog/lightroom-training-videos

https://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-convert-photos-to-black-and-white-in-lightroom/

TBH, I find both your examples rather flat. Did you set black and white point?

Or, alternately, simplified:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/how-to/convert-photo-black-white.html

8 hours ago, trip35 said:

Dear Forum,

I'm new to Q2 and would like to get some tips from you.
When I take photos with Film Style Monochrom JPG+DNG and I get B&W JPG and DNG. I love how they render Monochrom straight out of the camera. But sometimes, I want to adjust, for example highlight and subtle contrast and so on. It's okay with adjust settings JPG but I would like to get it from DNG. But when I tried to get B&W from DNG, it is quite not Film Style JPG out of Q2. I use Lightroom and simply I change my Profile from Adobe Color - Adobe Monochrom. Then, the tone is little bit yellowish than Film Style Monochrom JPG.

Is there any way to get any closer to Film Style Monochrom from DNG? Do I need a different Monochrom profile?
(I'm sorry if this is a Lightroom question...)

Best regards,

Attachment: Left is Film Style Monochrom, right is Lightroom Adobe Monochrom.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I would suggest looking on any of the forums here, and also LFI at black and white images you really like. What do you like about them and how might you adjust the settings in LightRoom to achieve that? I.e. exposure, contrast, saturation etc. Remember also that LightRoom adjustments are non destructive, meaning you can undo any or all changes whenever you like. “Experiment” and make mistakes - it’s worth it to get images that in the end make you happy.

• Like 1

There are a lot of articles on tweaking your photos on your own in Lightroom and creating a preset.  There are also some pre-packaged sets of presets to emulate different styles that you might like - these are usually avaiable for purchase at a relatively small fee.  You might start by looking at:

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/04/lightroom-presets-for-leica-cameras/ 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

33 minutes ago, MrOtts said:

There are a lot of articles on tweaking your photos on your own in Lightroom and creating a preset.  There are also some pre-packaged sets of presets to emulate different styles that you might like - these are usually avaiable for purchase at a relatively small fee.  You might start by looking at:

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/04/lightroom-presets-for-leica-cameras/ 

This one is already helping me a lot. Thanks. 🙏 

... I use Lightroom and simply I change my Profile from Adobe Color - Adobe Monochrom. Then, the tone is little bit yellowish than Film Style Monochrom JPG...

I am not seeing a yellowish tone; the image on the right appears to be just a hint darker, though.

Perhaps your monitor needs to be calibrated?

Edited by Herr Barnack

3 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

I am not seeing a yellowish tone; the image on the right appears to be just a hint darker, though.

Perhaps your monitor needs to be calibrated?

Oh I would say, yellowish and greeinish? Not sure I would calibrate, using macbook pro and iphone. Hmm 🤔 

vor 46 Minuten schrieb M10Alpine:

I have pre ordered one so I'm a bit puzzled as to why I haven't heard anything. 

I also have on at preorder and called my dealer last friday, as in some Leicashops it is already available for online ordering with 2-5 days delivery time, and I heard nothing from him…🤪

He called Leica and it should now arrive in the next 2 days at the dealer 👍🤩

Sometimes the dealers need a little push…

Edited by humerc
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, humerc said:

I also have on at preorder and called my dealer last friday, as in some Leicashops it is already available for online ordering with 2-5 days delivery time, and I heard nothing from him…🤪

He called Leica and it should now arrive in the next 2 days at the dealer 👍🤩

Sometimes the dealers need a little push…

What country if you don't mind?