What is your favorite 75 mm lens - why do you like it?

Robert Blanko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 12 Minuten schrieb lct:

I can't seem to find that brochure. Any link to it? Sorry if i missed it. At least, the lens stands proudly on the international part of the Leica website for now:

https://leica-camera.com/en/photography/lenses/m

Leica Produktübersicht EUR Stand 5.2021 (no link - paper copy handed out by the Leica shop Stuttgart).

In addition I guess the Leica Store would not tell me an incorrect story or they did not like my face and thought I was not worthy of this lens. 😐

Amazing: now it is also back on Leica M-Objektive kaufen | Leica Camera Online Store Deutschland (leica-camera.com)

Edited by stephan54
  • Thanks 1

Now that I have received my new 75 APO Summicron, I'm able to confirm that it still exists. Apparently produced this year according to the label on the warranty card.

Quick test with my furry model that was available on short notice. No miscalibration of the lens / rangefinder apparent so far.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I had 75apo and 90apo which I sold to get a 50apo and 35lux-fle and honestly never liked 75apo. I have two 75lux both Germany both 6bit, one is new in box for backup other served me for the last 12 years (I use it a lot for commercial work too since its tack sharp) and it has wobbly aperture ring and paint disappearing from the focusing ring. this is just a random photos @f/2.8 I did cpl of days ago from my friends. there is something about this lens that 75apo can't do and I really dont know what...

Edited by espahbodb
  • Like 13

I never thought of a 75 until when I was using my GXR (aps-c) I used my 50 Summilux all the time on it and loved the pic's I got with it. I now have one of those 75mm f 1.25 TT Artisan a Biotar clone. Yes it's big and heavy but I have gotten some really nice shots with it. The two lens kit I carry these days is the 35mm f 1.4 and the 75mm and at least it works for me. I can't remember the last time I put my 90 Summicron on a camera.

Edited by agfa100
added more content
  • Like 1

Rather similar for me. But it was the M8 crop that did it.

Three years shooting a 50 Summicron (as we know, actually a 52mm focal length) at a crop of 1.333x = "70mm," with 0.7m close-focus ability. And then trying the Leica rep's 75 Summilux at the M9 introduction on 09/09/2009. I ordered a used 75mm Summilux of my own the next day, traded my 90s to fund the M9, but kept my 135, adding a 35mm a month later.

Edited by adan

I also liked my 50 (and 28/35) on my M8.2.  But when I switched to the M240, I stayed with the 50 (and 28/35). Never liked the 75mm frame lines, but tried the 75 Summicron for a while and didn’t bond with it.  Sometimes the math can’t explain choices. 

Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Every once in a while we get a Kona storm. The waves switch from the west to the south. Some grow to be over 60 feet high. These were 20 foot waves. I normally shoot the waves with a 50 but the wind was blowing hard and the air was full of water droplets. I thought it wiser to stand back a few feet from the cliffs. M10/75 Cron.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I love the close focus of the 75 Summicron

• Like 1

Happy with the Summicron after calibration.

M10

• Like 7

Summicron at close focus

M10

I have been using my Summilux 75 f1.4 for a number of years. Some people say it's heavy, well it is compared to my 28 F2 asph. It renders beautiful images on transparency film. The fast 1.4  speed allowed me to shoot under very low light conditions without tripod/monopod. I've considered it my general all purpose go-to lens. 

• Like 3

I had the 75 APO cron since I bought it from Red Dot in London in 2009.  Never had any problems with focusing it. Bitingly sharp and nice rendering. Very "popping" look.

I am on my second version of the 75/1.4 lux, and it has a great deal of focus shift. Beautiful portrait lens though. A bit soft at 1.4, but sharp once stoppet down. More painting-like look.

• Like 3

i use 75 for portraits only basically (I find 90 too tight)

I have the lux (I used to have two copies, sold one a few years back) and bought the Nocti when it came out as a small folly/treat after I sold my flat

I still have both and they are great, if different, portrait lenses

i would love to have a 90 for street but I find the 135 to be very good too, so I think I am set for now

• Like 1

SL 75mm Summicron is absolutely a special lens!

• Like 9

• Like 6

I have had the Summilux and Summicron but now use the Summarit which is so diminutive and balances so well that it gets far more use than the others did. Its a great little lens. The others certainly have their place but for me it is now the Summarit.

• Like 3

I have the Summarit-M 2.5/75 almost permanently attached to an M9M with a yellow or orange filter.  This is an interesting lens, filling a gap between 50 (often leads to cropping) and 90 that is sometimes just a bit tight.  The Summarit on an M is very portable.

Dungeness nuclear power station as seen from Folkestone in Kent.  Summarit 75 at about f/5.6.

Edited by John Robinson
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, John Robinson said:

This is an interesting lens, filling a gap between 50 (often leads to cropping) and 90 that is sometimes just a bit tight.  The Summarit on an M is very portable.

In a video-interview last year between Leica's Dr. Kaufmann and Ralph Gibson, Gibson (who now also uses a 75 Summarit) said "75 is the new 50!"

• Like 1

I find that the 75 is not a lens just in between 50 and 90, but has merits of its own. When calibrated correctly, it is easy to focus and still a relatively small lens.

M10 - Summicron 75

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stephan54 said:

I find that the 75 is not a lens just in between 50 and 90, but has merits of its own. When calibrated correctly, it is easy to focus and still a relatively small lens.

M10 - Summicron 75

It also pairs well with any 35mm lens.