What is your favorite 75 mm lens - why do you like it?

Robert Blanko

Actually, a 28/75 set can be a very useful pairing of "perspectives" for people- or event-work.

These happen to be with 75 Lux/28 Elmarit III, but 28 cron or Elmarit ASPH and 75 Cron/Summarit are even more compact. Mix 'n match as desired.

One can call it a home-made "Lenny Kravitz Drifter" combo - minus the python skin.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8640603678/leica-and-lenny-kravitz-produce-limited-edition-drifter-m-monochrom-with-snakeskin-finish

Or maybe an MQ2. ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread....

I've had endless problems with the 'third' lens in my 24 Lux. 35 Lux... + set for M10P. It should be a 75mm as try as I might I find 50 just doesn't work for me.

Ideally it would be the 75 APO summicron but I'm not paying new prices for it (also in short supply)

Used ones seem to be quite bashed up or need calibration (had to send one back) - and since its the FLE its a Leica only job with months wait, so out of the question.

Summarits? 2.4s seem very rare and 2.5s very expensive for what they are used...

Voigtlanders? Any experience of the 1.5 Nokton or 1.9 Ultron? The Ultron looks similar to the APO summicron and quite affordable.

Edited by newtoleica

Now that this thread has been revived, I am eligible to provide an answer: APO Summicron-M 75mm ASPH.

Why? A significant objective reason is the Magnification Factor enables the APO 75 M to perform well as a close-range lens, even though its 0.7m Minimum Focusing Distance is not “Close Focus.” The APO 75 M can do, from 0.7m, what the Close Focus Summilux-M 50 ASPH does at its MFD of 0.5m. In some portrait situations, a working distance of 0.7m is more comfortable than 0.5m, for the photographer and/or model/subject.

Objectively, the APO Summicron-M 75mm ASPH was designed by Peter Karbe to be optically quite similar to the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, which is my favorite of all M lenses. I started using the Leica M system because of the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, almost six years ago, so, nothing is likely to threaten the APO 75 M as my favored 75mm M lens.

I test-shot a Summilux-M 75mm, that was available, pre-owned, at a nearby camera store, several years ago. Its focus calibration was not properly aligned with my M10, which was accurate with all of my other M lenses. A store employee warned me that this one “front-focused,” which I found to be the case. I could, slowly and carefully, compensate for the front-focusing, and got one lovely image of a camera store employee, but, decided against buying this one.

Though I am open-minded regarding third-party lenses, and have several Cosina Voigtlander lenses, I have no plans to acquire the much-heralded Nokton 75mm. I have seen absolutely lovely landscapes captured with the Nokton 75, but even though I will shoot occasional landscape images with telephoto lenses, I have not yet wanted to use 75mm for landscapes.

• Like 1

Focusing can be spot on with the Summilux 75/1.4, provided it is properly calibrated. As for the Nokton 75/1.5, it is more compact, lighter and it is sharper at full aperture without being clinical. Its only con IMO is its separate hood compared to the built-in one of he Summilux but it is a matter of taste.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, newtoleica said:

Voigtlanders? Any experience of the 1.5 Nokton or 1.9 Ultron? The Ultron looks similar to the APO summicron and quite affordable.

Nokton f/1.5 for me - aperture of a Summilux, weight of a Summarit, quality (at longer distances - 1.5 m+) at least as good as APO-Summicron. Even at f/1.5.

However, if you want to use the tight framing of a 75mm - at 0.7m - and at f/4 or wider - the APO-Summicron with its floating element is far ahead of anything else (except maybe Leica's own FLE Noctilux f/1.25 - and the Summarit f/2.4 is almost as good, given it is "pre-stopped-down.")

Based on my own Nokton pictures, and web-review shots with the Ultron - I would say the Nokton has slightly better resolution. Voigtlander really pulled out all the stops making the Nokton.

Resolution isn't everything - but there are not a lot of lenses between 50 and 100mm that can pull this off at f/1.5 and infinity. M10 image 24 Mpixels

Edited by adan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

75mm was never my lens and my R80 1.4 is close enough and has worked well for me. I even considered getting the SL 75 APO for my SL2 when it first released but I bought the SL 35APO instead. M35mm is preferred as it is more compact and light for my street and landscape photography.

I guess one should never say never until I tried the 75 Noctilux. It is heavy and bulky, more so than the 50 0.95. I was surprised how images can be so different with this lens.

I tried it on my SL2 and M10P, very pleased with quality and effect.

Edited by JCR33
  • Like 7

7Artisans 75mm f1.25 - this is my favorite portrait lens across 4 systems (GFX, EF, m43 and M)

objectively it's rubbish. really heavy and soft wide open, but... when stopped down to f2.8, everything changes, it has just the right amount of sharpness and glow

I know it's silly to lug around a f1.25 lens just to shoot it at f2.8, but not everything needs to be shot wide open 

• Like 11

Thanks everyone. 
I must say I really prefer the look of the summicron and it matches my other lenses well. 
I have owned one in the past. Just need to find a decent used one that doesn’t have to go to Leica! 
not many about in the UK. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldwino said:

Just to put in a good word for the Ultron 75/1.9. It’s a lovely lens, not much bigger than a 50mm, and, for me, f1.9 is plenty on a 75mm. 

Looking on line though it doesn’t seem to render the same as the summicron? A bit less cinematic. 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:46 PM, adan said:

Actually, a 28/75 set can be a very useful pairing of "perspectives" for people- or event-work.

These happen to be with 75 Lux/28 Elmarit III, but 28 cron or Elmarit ASPH and 75 Cron/Summarit are even more compact. Mix 'n match as desired.

One can call it a home-made "Lenny Kravitz Drifter" combo - minus the python skin.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8640603678/leica-and-lenny-kravitz-produce-limited-edition-drifter-m-monochrom-with-snakeskin-finish

Or maybe an MQ2. ;)

Looks like Ira Kaplan from yo la tengo ....

Photography changes. As I wrote earlier in this thread, the Apo-Summicron-M 75 used to be my 'last to sell' lens, but I sold it when I sold out of Leica M (M240 then), and when I posted I was using (and still use) the Apo-Summicron-SL 75. More recently I have bought a Summilux-M 75 for use as a portrait lens on the SL2-S - for which it is superb. I am so enamoured of this lens that I have been trying it for active stage rehearsal photography. It is challenging to focus wide open at speed: if the actors are not moving too fast, focus magnification can be used; if they are moving too fast for magnification, I find I can get a focused image much of the time just in full view (focus peaking is too imprecise for wide open focus), and the pain is worth the result. These two are not directly comparable: the first with the 24-90SL at 90mm and f/4, the other with the Summilux, and the lighting had changed (and I very slightly missed focus - it's on the ear, not the eye). Nevertheless, in a sequence in the Lightroom gallery, I could immediately pick out the Summilux images.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 4

Another STRONG vote for 75 APO Summicron.
Never knew I needed nor wanted this lens until I got my copy. Have had both 75 Summarits and 75 Summilux (the latter was even my fav from the three, see post #2), even the odd 75 7Artisans f/1.25... but this is just something else.
I want to share an article I found that ACTUALLY shows the benefits of owning this lens - that means producing great images. As the author of the article says, "The Leica Summicron-M 75mm f/2 APO is an expensive lens, even for Leica, but with its top-class build and image quality, along with the APO title, it’s a lens you will treasure for a lifetime.". Just make sure your lens is of the later build as the early ones have internal issues (lots written here). BTW, this lens is also one with the best regular (non-CF) production reproduction ratios of 1:7. I posted the image of my lens below.
Article: https://photobasecamp.com/review-leica-m-75mm-summicron-apo-f-2-0/

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimesmaybe said:

i also have the CV 75mm f1.9, it's a nice compact lens. just make sure you like the short focus throw 

I always use one of the  stick on tabs on non tabbed lenses as I often zone focus by feel using the tab whilst on the street. 
the short focus throw is perfect for this. 

I have only used one 75mm lens and that was a mid-1980s' Summilux with sliding hood, second hand. I shot it on a traditional small shutter dial M6 with standard x0.72 viewfinder. Even for small 5" x 3 1/2" colour enprints (very well printed by knowledgeable staff) you could discern a special look with a distinct 3D presence and modelling that was particularly noticeable in faces, even when taken indoors with mixed late afternoon window light and standard tungsten lightbulbs.  Contrast and colour were absolutely beautiful.  I used to shoot it in tandem with my similar 1980s' vintage Summilux 35mm with the milled chrome mounting ring, mainly for dressing room and make up shots of young actors and actresses at school. Now the 35 was itself a characterful lens with lovely colours and very sharp stopped down, just like a Summicron, but dreamy at full aperture; the 75 felt even more pleasing, perhaps partly by virtue of its suitabllity in focal length for portraiture. However, it was very hard to get such good results with the 75 wide open at f/1.4 and I don't know if that was the lens not yet being in its stride before getting to f/2 (the aperture I usually shot it at, so no problem for my purposes) or that I strained to get the focus just right and so benefited from being stopped down even just one stop to f/2. Obviously calibration and eyesight are that little bit more critical with the longer focus lens.

Additionally in trying to find other applications for such an expensive and at the time esoteric lens I discovered that the Summilux 75, used in conjunction with the aforementioned Summilux 35, was excellent for garden photos, giving context but also some good focus separation between colourful plants and flowers from an 'environmental' background of carefully chosen colours to set off the flowers to good effect. The 35 helped to set these shots against building exteriors, with porches, windows, etc. Very enjoyable when old-fashioned and costly kit really does make a difference to photographic success and gives a special look!

Looking back at the pictures there is something special about 75 in the way it isolates and yet seems quite intimate. I love 90 but with a gun to my head would go for 75 in preference.

A longish answer but I hope the context gives you some feel for what I liked about that lens.  Thank you for posting your question; this has revived some happy memories of a time and place in my past. I appreciate that I haven't been able to compare the 75/1.4 with other 75s in order to answer properly the question you posed. 

Edited by F456
  • Like 4