Save cropped DNG or force pano function to stick to crop area in LR or Capture One?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Howdy!

Is it possible to save a copy of a DNG which is restricted to the size of a crop in Lightroom or Capture One or by any other software? I did not find a way to solve this problem so far.

Alternatively, is it possible to force the panorama function in Lightroom or Capture One to stick to the crop area defined for the DNGs? Does not seem to be possible either.

I recently took three photos inside a church and wanted to create a stitched panorama. Works pretty well, BUT unfortunately in one of the photos the highlights in the area surrounding the altar are too bright whereas in another photo this area is perfect. And both LR and Capture One precisely use the bad part for said area...

Apart from that, the panorama function works great, even if you have a kind of HDR across the different photos (in the present case, the ceiling area is brighter, thus compromising the altar area in one of the photos).

Lightroom and Capture 1 are both none destructive editors so you never actually edit the original RAW image just a preview generated when you import the image; so you can't copy it as a DNG as it's not one.  I don't have Capture 1 so I can say for certain but in Lightroom you can, export the file (-pano) as a DNG, and this is a standard built in option.

For your exposure issue, go to the develop module and with the film strip visible at bottom select the image you feel is closest to correctly exposed and make any edits to this image to get what you want.  Whilst this still selected hold down the Command key  on a Mac and I think Control key on Windows and select the other images you wish to combine in the pano.  Whilst they are all selected, go to the Menu Bar, Settings and select Match Total Exposures and Lightroom will try to match the exposures in all of the images to the one you have edited.  You can then combine them into the panoramic image.

Not sure if this explains it very well but if you do an internet search there should be lots of information about matching exposures in LR and possibly C1.

• Thanks 1

Combining 2 of the 3 photos first and then combining with the third photo in Capture One surprisingly nailed it! The critical part was Maria in the middle of the photo.

Downscaled a little bit:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Robert Blanko said:

Combining 2 of the 3 photos first and then combining with the third photo in Capture One surprisingly nailed it!

yes,

i do that quite often especially with complex street backgrounds with lots of signs and cables everywhere