Capture One and Leica Q2 crop mode

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My work flow has long been with Adobe Photoshop, importing with there Camera Raw plug-in. I've only dabbled with Lightroom and have not used Capture One. Camera Raw imports in-camera cropped images from the Q2M as cropped image files, which is my preference if I framed the image using the crop lines in the camera.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:21 AM, Pelu2010 said:

I thought that C1 had an update and it could use the Leicas / sl2 and Sl2s and M11. 

It can and has supported Leica cameras fairly well for a long time. There's nothing about DNG that has prevented C1 from incorporating this feature – it's just not a priority for them.

Edited by hdmesa

On 5/4/2022 at 10:14 AM, jaapv said:

That post is three years old…

And yet they have still not implemented this feature in Capture One. That's how sleepy the folks at C1 are with regard to this and many other features such lens profiles.

• 1 month later...
Am 11.4.2019 um 01:41 schrieb b_ben:

Hi,

For the first time, I'm considering getting a Leica, as the Q2 looks very tempting... However, I was worried that the crop modes would not work with Capture One, which is a bit of a deal breaker. So, before purchasing one, I wanted to make sure that this could be fixed and made a script to retrieve the crop factor and apply it in Capture One. 2 goods news:

• It's possible! It works with a combination of Exiftool and Applescript (so, unfortunately, it doesn't work with the Windows version), and it integrates into the Capture One menus
  • I release it as open-source, so that others can use it if they face the same issue: https://github.com/bezineb5/c1-crop-from-exif

Now, I just have to wait until B&H gets some  Q2 in stock... unless I finally go for a Q.

I hope this will help some of you!

Ben

Hi Ben,

the script does work wunderfully and saved my life using the Q2 – thanks!

Is there a chance to make it work for other cameras which also offer a crop mode? Just tried it with my Leica M11 but didn't work.

Cheers

Holger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, holgerf said:

Hi Ben,

the script does work wunderfully and saved my life using the Q2 – thanks!

Is there a chance to make it work for other cameras which also offer a crop mode? Just tried it with my Leica M11 but didn't work.

Cheers

Holger

Thanks Holger!

The Q/Q2 uses fairly standard EXIF fields to store the crop mode (namely the DefaultUserCrop field). That's unfortunate that it doesn't work with the M11, I'm not sure why. I (unfortunatelly) don't have a M11 and dpreview.com did not publish their RAWs. What you can try is to do in a terminal:

exiftool -v <path to your file>

And see if there's a tag which could contain the crop information.

Best regards,

Benjamin

To your question: no error, just does not work.

I read out the date of a Q2 file. At least the position of the Default User Crop  seems to be  different: 50) in M11, 28) in Q2. See second attachment.

I prepared a folder on my dropbox with a sample file of the M11 here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ejeqoudnujw1zp/AADSFxs-wExMOEDQJGezz8Mda?dl=0

May be you can just try it?

Thanks and cheers

Holger

Exif-Result Leica C2.rtf

• 3 months later...