Lim's half case...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/1/2023 at 7:24 AM, NicholasT said:

LIM’s Half case was my absolute favorite case for the Q2.

I particularly liked the built in grip and the discrete Arca Swiss compatible mount built into the base. Also I did not find the case to be too bulky or heavy. 

I’ve now sold my Q2 and its case and would really like to buy a LIM case for Q3 which is on order.

Does anyone know if LIM has released a Q3 case?

Like Bill Smith, I also sent an email to Lims re an updated half case for the Q3. I have one on a Q2M and it does look nice - with the bonus of full access to battery, card, and with a arca-swiss inbuilt rail. It will be interesting to see how they develop a new Q3 half case, as the new side access to USB-C and mini HDMI may mean that part of the existing (Q2) case will not be as "nice" in the Q3 version. This is what the reply from LIMs said today: "The LEICA Q3 half case you inquired about is currently under development. We are designing so that you can use all the changed features, so please be patient."

Paul

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Like Bill Smith, I also sent an email to Lims re an updated half case for the Q3. I have one on a Q2M and it does look nice - with the bonus of full access to battery, card, and with a arca-swiss inbuilt rail. It will be interesting to see how they develop a new Q3 half case, as the new side access to USB-C and mini HDMI may mean that part of the existing (Q2) case will not be as "nice" in the Q3 version. This is what the reply from LIMs said today: "The LEICA Q3 half case you inquired about is currently under development. We are designing so that you can use all the changed features, so please be patient."

Paul

Paul,

I’m very pleased to learn that LIM’s is working on a half case for the Q3. 

The articulating screen and move of buttons to the right are not likely to create much of a design change.

On the other hand providing side access to USB-C and HDMI is likely to present a challenge for the design team. As you mentioned, most likely the Q3 case won’t be as elegant as the Q2.

That said, once it is released, I believe it will continue to be one of the best half case / grip solutions on the market.

Thanks for sharing the feedback from LIM. 

Nicholas

Edited by NicholasT
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 11:50 AM, NicholasT said:

Paul,

I’m very pleased to learn that LIM’s is working on a half case for the Q3. 

The articulating screen and move of buttons to the right are not likely to create much of a design change.

On the other hand providing side access to USB-C and HDMI is likely to present a challenge for the design team. As you mentioned, most likely the Q3 case won’t be as elegant as the Q2.

That said, once it is released, I believe it will continue to be one of the best half case / grip solutions on the market.

Thanks for sharing the feedback from LIM. 

Nicholas

Do the Q2 Lim's case's sd and battery compartment openings match that of the Q3?

21 hours ago, nariza7 said:

Do the Q2 Lim's case's sd and battery compartment openings match that of the Q3?

No... especially re the SD card access door. The base has been redesigned slightly on the Q3, probably due to the new base charging pins, meaning that most grips and cases designed specifically for the Q2, Q2M now partially block the opening of the SD card access door.

I'm using (as a temporary measure), a JJC grip with arca-swiss base that is designed for the Q2, Q2M. It "fits" the Q3 and I can get access to the battery, but not the SD card door. I believe, like quite a few other 3rd party providers (Lim etc), that JJC are designing a new grip for the Q3.

Paul

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

No... especially re the SD card access door. The base has been redesigned slightly on the Q3, probably due to the new base charging pins, meaning that most grips and cases designed specifically for the Q2, Q2M now partially block the opening of the SD card access door.

I'm using (as a temporary measure), a JJC grip with arca-swiss base that is designed for the Q2, Q2M. It "fits" the Q3 and I can get access to the battery, but not the SD card door. I believe, like quite a few other 3rd party providers (Lim etc), that JJC are designing a new grip for the Q3.

Paul

Thank you for confirming that haha. Very useful to know