How to manually correct or remove incorrect lens EXIF information from my M10

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, if "lens detection" is turned on, the DNG may or may not be what was seen by the sensor at the instant the photo was taken?

Presumably, if "lens detection" is not turned on, the DNG image will be  exactly what the sensor captured, with no alterations?

.....and therefore, if I am using the new Voigtlander lens, the camera will not modify the sensor data until when/if something could tell the camera that the Voigtlander lens was in place.   Yes?

2 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

I think that's impossible if we are dealing with raw images, such as DNG,

if lens detect is ON the dng has the adjustments baked into the file

>>>>>explanation from a thread in the lightroom forum>>>

The external profile corrects for geometric distortion and vignetting only.* The chromatic aberration correction is baked into the raw file using opcodes that cannot be disabled in Lightroom.If you wish to disable the external profile by default, you can set a new lens profile default (with it disabled) for each lens/camera combination.

*which is why one can see the "full image" when opened in Capture One Pro

Edited by frame-it

Thanks, that link was very helpful.  

In the case of a Voigtlander lens, where nobody seems to have correction information yet, I accept that the best thing is to leave lens detection off.

Fascinating - and apparently a DNG isn't the same as a RAW file, because with DNG this additional information can be recorded, over and beyond a copy of what was happening at that moment on the sensor.

Did I get this right?

To be clear, DNG (developed by Adobe in 2004 by Thomas Knoll) IS RAW (but not all RAW is DNG). Much has been written about the reasons for DNG development, its advantages, disadvantages, etc, including use of various conversion software. The book, The Digital Negative, by Jeff Schewe, is a good resource, especially for Adobe software users. Leica has adopted the DNG format and integrates well with Adobe. But there are loads of articles and books on the subject in general.  Note, too, that any RAW image also requires processing in camera before an image can be displayed; otherwise the pic on your LCD screen would be a mess.  

Jeff

If I understand things correctly, "raw" just means a copy of what is on the sensor, and there is no assurance that raw files from different camera manufacturers will be "the same".  Canon has one version, Nikon another, Fuji a different version, and Leica is presumably using a "standard" DNG, and I think all DNG files are interchangeable, unlike CR2, NEF, and so on.

To me, as a user, it's all irrelevant, as long as my editing software can work with all the cameras I use - which I'm hoping will be corrected in the next release of PhotoLab5.  

I preferred Adobe more when I could buy it, and it would work "forever" until I decided I need some new enhancements.  I still have the Adobe, renting it on the pay-by-the-month plan.  That annoys me, especially when I rarely use it.

At some point I might buy the book you mentioned, but right now my head is spinning just trying to get the most out of the cameras I already own, and while I'd like to know all the behind-the-scenes information, I'm struggling right now just to keep my head above water.

One thing is for sure - I know my M10 ten times better now than any time since I bought it - and I am *SO* happy I did buy it.  If I was still working, not retired, I'd probably have bought one of the newer ones already, but between my M10 and my M8.2 I'm quite pleased right now.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you have LR Classic, you have all the enhancements you’ll likely ever need (and Photoshop is included for the same mere 10 bucks a month), with even more features (especially masking tools) coming this month.  No worries about timely lens/camera updates or with hardware/software integration and ease.  My pics from years ago already print much better with updated LR.  User preference, of course, but easy call for me (unless Adobe ever mandates cloud storage or otherwise screws things up, which hasn’t happened yet).  YMMV.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

15 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

If you have LR Classic,

Yes, I have LR Classic, and I still have a license for the original software that I "own".  And yes, I do get Photoshop along side of Lightroom.  But I prefer PhotoLab, which is where I do all my work.  

As long as the cost stays at $10 per month, I'll continue.  .....unless Adobe mandates cloud storage, in which case I will stop using it completely.  I don't mind copies being stored in the cloud, but I want originals stored locally.