How to remove the lens hood from a Voightlander 21 mm f4

kennedda

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have not used this lens for a while and when I put the lens hood on (the square type lens hood designed for this lens), I could not figure out how to get it off. This to me is embarrassing but I am sure someone else uses this lens and hood and can help me.

Of course, I could just decide to leave the lens on and continue to use it on M8 with the hood. Sometimes, though, for storage you might want to put the hood away.

Thanks.

If it's the "Rectangular LH-1 hood" it can be demanding on a good day. Try loosening the set screw and then re-tightening it until the threads catch. Eventually they will catch and you will be able to unscrew the hood. It may take a couple of trys. Cool hood but bothersome to get off and to get straight. A great lens on the M8 especially with the CV 28mm viewfinder. Good luck.

. . . Burkey

Edited by burkey

My specimen had a cylindrical hood that screwed to a male thread on the lens, outside the female filter thread. I have never heard of a different type. If you squeeze to hard on the hood from the sides, it will deform a little, and bind.

So if you have that problem, use evenly distributed torque. Try either a piece of soft rubber between the front of the hood and your palm (even the palm by itself can work), or wrap one of those sponge dishcloths around it. When you have removed the hood, apply a very little bit of vaseline to the thread to prevent binding in the future.

The old man from the Age of the Thread Mount

The lens hood is a LH-1. And, I used the methods recommended by Burkey and Jaap. And, it worked. Thanks so much. Very tricky for such a simple thing. If Voightlander would make a rubber lens hood (a la Leica's hood for the 35 f.2), you would be more comfortable just leaving the hood on.

I am using the Voightlander 28 mm finder and I find the set-up easy to use and accurate. And, the results quite pleasing.

• 13 years later...