How to set Manual Lens Detection correctly

cmeinke

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I’m currently setting up a new M11. While most settings make sense and I’ve seen some menu walkthroughs, I’m struggling to make sense of Manual Lens Detection.

I own two M-mount lenses and could need some help picking the right lens profile from the list.

1. Leica Summicron M 50 F2 (Leitz Lens Made in Canada) Ser-Nr. 3099896  (~1981)

Which of the two 50 f/2 profiles should I activate? 

How about the Voigtlander Nokton 1,4/40 MM S.C. VM?

Any guidance is much appreciated. 🙌

Edited by cmeinke
Typo

On the M 11 the profiles will only have minimal impact, certainly for any focal length over 28 mm. So pick any 50/2 you like. For the Voigtländer  just experiment and pick the one you like best. 

• Thanks 1

Or... pick none and apply an appropriate profile in your raw editor.  If you are like me and prefer that your metadata is as accurate as possible you can also update the metadata lens info to refer to the actual lens mounted, not some Leica lens that may or may not be similar.

Question: Is there any reason to pick a lens in camera if you never shoot JPEG and use your raw editor to apply lens corrections?

6 hours ago, marchyman said:

...Question: Is there any reason to pick a lens in camera if you never shoot JPEG and use your raw editor to apply lens corrections?

Only for the M11/M11M since they have digitally-stabilized live view. Just like IBIS, the camera needs to know the focal length to best apply the stabilization.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/2/2023 at 1:58 PM, cmeinke said:

...How about the Voigtlander Nokton 1,4/40 MM S.C. VM?...

The 40mm lenses are best served by the 35mm profiles in my opinion.

For any lens, just switch between several profiles while taking test shots and see which best corrects the vignetting wide open. Since your 40 is the Nokton/1.4, I would choose the most recent 35 1.4's profile (most recent is always the last one listed in the master list where you turn the profiles off and on).

Edited by hdmesa
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Only for the M11/M11M since they have digitally-stabilized live view. Just like IBIS, the camera needs to know the focal length to best apply the stabilization.

I love it when I learn something, especially something I'd have otherwise never thought about.   Thanks!

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 9:58 PM, cmeinke said:

How about the Voigtlander Nokton 1,4/40 MM S.C. VM?

Which lens is this if i may ask, a Nokton 40/1.4 SC v1 or a v2 of the same lens. Not that my advice would differ here but assuming the lens is a v1, i suspect it has a similar rendering as the CV 35/1.4 SC v1 i used to use in the past. i would code it the same way as i did then ie as a Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph. I have no experience with that Nokton 40 though so take what i say with a lump of salt.

On 9/2/2023 at 9:58 PM, cmeinke said:

1. Leica Summicron M 50 F2 (Leitz Lens Made in Canada) Ser-Nr. 3099896  (~1981)

Which of the two 50 f/2 profiles should I activate?

The one for the current Summicron 50 which has the same optics as your lens if it is a 50/2 v4 as i suspect it.