28/50 vs 35/50 vs 35/75

andba

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am currently shooting a 28/50 1.4 Summilux combo on an M10-P. I love both lenses*.

*However, I wear (pretty chunky) glasses and am frustrated with how much guessing (and getting it wrong) is happening when composing with the 28. Live view helps, but sort of takes the fun out of rangefinder shooting. I'm not sure how sustainable this is long-term.

I'm thinking about simply swapping the 28 for a FLE (or pre-FLE) to get a grip on composing.

The question is, rock the 35/50, or get a wider spread with the 35/75. The downside being the mass and heft of most 75mm, non-Summarit lenses (not really interested in the Summarit). I could do a 35/90 with a Macro Elmar but that may be too wide a spread.

Thoughts please!

Edited by andba

Why not swap the 28 mm lens for a Q, thus giving you the imaging experience you seek, plus no more lens swapping. Adding a longer lens is a separate discussion.

You could also debate the merits of getting a Q2 rather than Q; but I think the earlier model will suffice for 28 mm. You already have an excellent 50 mm

Hi,

You can simply use the frame lever on you camera to see what the different combinations may offer you. And how much help they give to actual framing – the 75 mm frame does not give that much guidance!. With glasses, which I wear, even the 35 mm frame requires a certain type of head motion to view all four corners. I now have a current 35 Summicron, but for a few decades I used a 35 Summicron with 'goggles' which allowed me to view the 35 through the 50  frame, the disadvantage is that the rangefinder patch is therefore smaller.

An evf or external finder may be a solution for your 28.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

you could switch from 28 to 35 and still go with 50.

We can not answer you r needs and taste.

10 years ago I liked 35-90, later 35-75 but for the last 2 years 28-50.

35 is the focal length which works best with the optical finder IMO, but I appreciate the wider view of the 28.

I find 75 a little more difficult to focus than 50.

Final answer - Decide between 28 and 35 undefended on the longer focal length and between 50 and 75 undefended on the shorter focal length.

First replay the 28 with a 35 and then see if you also want to replace 50 with a longer focal length (or not)

• Like 1

Same eyes here.  I find the 28 works with the Voiglander 28mm (conical metal) viewfinder.  For zone-focus shooting at 5.6 and up, it works very well.  Easy to see through, good frame lines and compact.  It stores in a 35mm film canister very nicely.  Sales pitch over LOL.

Here's mine....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Danner
  • Like 1

It sounds to me more like a case of GAS than anything else. I think most serious photographers, other than collectors,  would choose a secondary lens based on what their current lens cannot deliver, rather than envisioning a collection of lenses, some of which they may or may not use. I'd encourage you, before parting with your money, to explore which focal lengths you would actually use, rather than accept a "kit" concept. We've all been there and struggled with these issues...but better to make a decision based on your personal shooting style than fancy somebody else's notion of what you should have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28/50 is a good combo, but 24/50 might be better. But you’ll need an external viewfinder.

35/75 looks good on paper, but 75 is just too weird for a Leica. Too long, a 60 would be better.

50 is, contrary to a previous post’s statement, the bedrock of Leica photography. Combined with a 35, you are using the two best focal lengths for the camera as designed. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Al Brown said:

35/75. Thank me later.
(I use a 24 as an essential add-on wit this combo. All are Summilux, 35 is FLE.)

He’s right ! …. I had a 24, just sold and will do 21 SEM. I use  35/75 crons, simply awesome 

Edited by rsolomon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M10 + 35/50 shooter here, I find the focal lengths different enough to be useful for my use cases (documentary travel with family and occasional portraits). For me, these two FL sit within the main strengths of the M10 rangefinder optimisation. 

If need a different digital focal length I will use my iPhone 12 Pro Max which has the following equivalent focal lengths.

13mm UltraWide

26mm Wide

65mm Portrait

Regards,

Popee

Edited by Popee

Back when I had 2 M2s I would have a 35 on one and an 85 on the other and pack along a tiny 25 Canon. Did this for 30 years rught now I have a CL and use mostly the 23 (or the 11-23 zoom) and a 55 7 Artisans. I think the 35/75 would be a perfect combination. Several times I bought a 50 to go in between, it would hardly ever get used and I would sell it, 3 DR Summicrons, wonderful 50s but I just didn't use them. 

I find I reach for my 35mm lenses far more often than my 50s.

A couple of months ago, I bought the VC 75 f/1.5, and now can't seem to take it off my M cameras (film and digital). 

I think a lot about traveling again. My MF cameras are just too heavy and don't want to take film through the airport, so almost certainly only the M10.

I'm likely to carry only a 35 (probably the Lux FLE) and 75 (maybe also get the VC 21 f/3.5).

There's something about the new Voigtlanders that just feel more attractive (and not just price!) than my Leica glass. Can't explain it.

Edited by bags27

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

I find I reach for my 35mm lenses far more often than my 50s.

A couple of months ago, I bought the VC 75 f/1.5, and now can't seem to take it off my M cameras (film and digital). 

I think a lot about traveling again. My MF cameras are just too heavy and don't want to take film through the airport, so almost certainly only the M10.

I'm likely to carry only a 35 (probably the Lux FLE) and 75 (maybe also get the VC 21 f/3.5).

There's something about the new Voigtlanders that just feel more attractive (and not just price!) than my Leica glass. Can't explain it.

Voigtlander glass is amazing at the moment. I fear they may put Leica out of business if things don’t change. I.e good lenses at a reasonable price. 

Thanks for the responses so far. Lots of good insight.

I can assure you @spydrxxthat this is not GAS. It's simply an inability to see framelines. Like I mentioned, I really like the output from both of these lenses.

And for the above who have suggested an EVF, I'm just not an EVF guy. If I was, I'd probably just shoot an SL2.

I'll most likely start by exchanging the 28 for a 35 while keeping the 50. If that doesn't work out for me, I'll eventually swap the 50 for something longer.

On that note, and related to my lack of interest in an EVF — do those of you who shoot 75mm on an M find focusing prohibitively difficult wide open?

7 minutes ago, andba said:

Thanks for the responses so far. Lots of good insight.

I can assure you @spydrxxthat this is not GAS. It's simply an inability to see framelines. Like I mentioned, I really like the output from both of these lenses.

And for the above who have suggested an EVF, I'm just not an EVF guy. If I was, I'd probably just shoot an SL2.

I'll most likely start by exchanging the 28 for a 35 while keeping the 50. If that doesn't work out for me, I'll eventually swap the 50 for something longer.

On that note, and related to my lack of interest in an EVF — do those of you who shoot 75mm on an M find focusing prohibitively difficult wide open?

Have you tried an external finder? I find them a viable alternative for framing.

42 minutes ago, andba said:

No problem at all. I've just posted some samples of 75mm Summicron wide open in the dedicated thread in the film camera forum. Fresh from the scanner. Let me see if I can post the link. I'm not at the computer right now, and using the forum on a mobile phone isn't my forte.

Edit: see here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/284086-leica-m-film-photos-feel-free-to-share-yours/?do=findComment&comment=4271572

All of them were shot handheld, focused with the rangefinder. No problem.

Edited by Vlad Soare