TOP travel lens-set for M8

citrus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Victor, if you go to Guy's REAL website, you can see some excellent professional photography. It may not appeal to you, looking at your diametrically different stuff, (which I like as well, btw, being omnivorous in quality images), but It really does to me, and to ohers,so I think it does not warrant your dismissal, which, it must be said, is not very polite....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More relevantly, could someone please offer links to uncropped M8/24mm asph images, classic landscape, and/or reportage at wide aperture/ Many thanks.

24 elmarit shots...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/landscape-travel/21879-dungeness-strange-place-ive-been.html

There's another here - first image...

Picture A Week » Week 28: Cumbrian Coast

And here, first image again...

Picture A Week » Week 29: North Wales Coast

......... it's a normal form of writing for sectors og society,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, one sees it all over the net, text messaging......... even see it in many a uni thesis.etc.

..stop hiding under that rock:D

It may be me and an old fogey , but it seems to me to be a kitschy type of misuse of typographical form. It is nothing new, you know, there was a lot of it around in the 1930-ies and more creative too I may add, and it did not survive the test of time. This rock gathers no moss. Your graphical comments now, Imants, that is something else and much preferable to tick-tock talk..;) Keep 'em coming.................................................

24 elmarit shots...

Many thanks for that, Steve--I'm especially impressed by the way the surface textures are revealed in the BW shots. Do you have any thoughts how the lens performs at open aperture (say in unlit interiors) and shooting against the light? Thanks to the crop provided by the M8 sensor, I assume there should not be any problems with very soft/out of focus corners at wide apertures?

Best

1.Elmarit 24mm

2.Summilux 35 or 50mm ASPH

3. Macro Elmar 90mm

Clearly you're a fan of the 24mm, Olof--could I repeat my earlier question to Steve:

could you please offer links to uncropped M8/24mm asph images, classic landscape, and/or reportage at wide aperture; Do you have any thoughts how the lens performs at open aperture (say in unlit interiors) and shooting against the light?

Many thanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Piers, I'll have a look if I have any suitable images to post when I get back to the hotel - I only have photographs from my trip to France last week. I think I have a couple wide open with the 24.

This is a lens I can't recommend enough. If I'm out for the day I tend to take it, a 35mm Summicron and a 75mm Summicron. In fact even though I have other lenses I could probably live with just those 3 - or even with just the 24 and 35.

Hi Piers, I'll have a look if I have any suitable images to post when I get back to the hotel - I only have photographs from my trip to France last week. I think I have a couple wide open with the 24.

This is a lens I can't recommend enough. If I'm out for the day I tend to take it, a 35mm Summicron and a 75mm Summicron. In fact even though I have other lenses I could probably live with just those 3 - or even with just the 24 and 35.

Much appreciated, Steve--I'll keep an eye on the thread for the next day or so.

Best

jaap and every body.........

im bussy from time to time so cannot answer to everybody, but not answering is irrisponsible too , since things that i say are not that easy to read (understand and accapt :))

jaap........

me too ....... im very ominvorous too when it comes to good photography with authentic signature style quality etc etc....... and ya. i also saw guys real website......... sorry , those are nice pro works for avarage magazne (and respect for that to guy of course, although he is very emotional towards me )......... but, avarage magazine/pro worrks should be concidered as exampliary leica photography????????? that can be done and is done with canon nikon mamiya etc too...... so what the matter ?

leica is much more than that........ for me at least, and i gues for many of this forum users who are dedicated leica funs etc...... in that case, it is real pitty that faked gurus like michael richman and alike, and guy's "my 1000000 lenses" is the exampliary leica culture nowadays at least on the leica forum like this...........

about none polite........... surely not the best example of "politness" but this is how i am on this occasion and how i make my point......

i do not present myself as leica-guru nor i concider myself as such even if i love photographing with leica very much (and most of my "in the mood of photography" website is done with leica camera)............ but that has nothing to do with my comments here............ here, with my not so polite and rude attitude, i just want to balance and conerweight that nonesense tech-toy-boy faked guru talks that is spread all over this forum and presented as leica culture in practice...........

Clearly you're a fan of the 24mm, Olof--could I repeat my earlier question to Steve:

could you please offer links to uncropped M8/24mm asph images, classic landscape, and/or reportage at wide aperture; Do you have any thoughts how the lens performs at open aperture (say in unlit interiors) and shooting against the light?

Many thanks

Piers,

All but one of these is uncropped (the guy lighting a cigarette is cropped a little), and all are wide open with the 24/2.8 asph

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/people/32619-m8-goes-carnival.html

Guest guy_mancuso
Victor, if you go to Guy's REAL website, you can see some excellent professional photography. It may not appeal to you, looking at your diametrically different stuff, (which I like as well, btw, being omnivorous in quality images), but It really does to me, and to ohers,so I think it does not warrant your dismissal, which, it must be said, is not very polite....

Thanks Jaap it is also 5 years old and needs a serious update. Zenfolio is used for illustration purpose for me so I can download a image for posting easier .The rest of comments made i am ignoring , it is meaningless to me . I make a great living in photography and my wife and kids are well taken care of and i live a very nice life what else can one ask for. I'm in Florida now for 5 days shooting for a client

Much appreciated, Steve--I'll keep an eye on the thread for the next day or so

Ok, taken in France last week. Not great photographs - and they've been edited on a MacBook, but they are both 24mm and full frame. The first one is wide open.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For me, a perfect travel bag is one M8, 24 Elmarit ASPH, 50 Summilux ASPH and one SF-20, along with a couple of spare batteries, lens and sensor cleaners and a large Expodisc. I pack this into a very small Tenba bag and carry it everywhere I go. Never once got into a situation where I felt I needed anything else to make a photo, but that's just me. For someone else, the perfect bag would be entirely different.

jaap........

me too ....... im very ominvorous too when it comes to good photography with authentic signature style quality etc etc....... and ya. i also saw guys real website......... sorry , those are nice pro works for avarage magazne (and respect for that to guy of course, although he is very emotional towards me )......... but, avarage magazine/pro worrks should be concidered as exampliary leica photography????????? th .........

Nor can my photography nor yours nor anybodies. We are all part of that photographic universe representing different aspects.

Don't know Brent. Although I love French cheese there are so many that I haven't tried them all <grin>.

I like the soft cheeses the best - oh and chevre. It's quite different shopping for cheese in France compared to the UK. Here about 80% of the cheese you'll find is Cheddar - which can be a good cheese, but it's nice to have greater choice.

Thank you for that David: the carnival images show the versatility of the 24 lens to good advantage--classic street photography--some shot from chest level I'd guess--intimate without being too intrusive or voyeuristic...a fine line.

Thank you also to Steve; the cheesy french shot (very different from the striking b/w landscapes referred in your earlier response) equally revealing and the cafe scene helpful too.

I'm certainly thinking the 24 has the edge over the 28 asph which is my travel lens currently. I'd feel at home with the wider view (I used to shoot exclusively with m6/elmarit non asph 28--before needing to dispose a few years ago)--I feel a raid on the piggy bank coming on--oh dear!

Note to French cheese lovers: go to a market and just ask for a taste of any cheese you like the look of--a great way to learn (the samples you taste will undoubtedly be accompanied a full account of the product in question, including which teat of the goat/cow/sheep it came from...) The French have the gentle art of dégustation to a T.

This is strangely contrasted with the hostility of some French flea-market/bric a brac stall holders towards photography--often showing forbidding signs and surly attitudes. I know there is a real risk to street photography in France now, following judgements against Doisneau, etc.

Thanks all,

Best

Steve, Brent,

It cannot be french Gruyere (maybe swiss one), because in France this cheese gets a lot of holes!.

:D

I think it's probably "Cantal", a cheese from Auvergne where I'm living, but I'm not sure.

With my M8, if only a single lens : Summicron 35 Asph.

Hope you'll be back in France soon.

François

François, the above two shots was taken in the small town of Rosnay about 45k, south of Chataeuroux, so I'm guessing the cheese would have come from limousin cattle - yes I should have asked <grin>.

Piers, I've noticed the same issue you mention regarding fleas markets myself on occasion. Maybe it's down to the stall owners being happier not paying VAT and not having themselves and their goods identified <grin>

I think the perfect travel set-up is a D-Lux 3.

The problem with most -- most all -- travel shots is that they're inane. The people shooting them, however experienced, don't know enough about the area to avoid hopeless cliches. See a pretty mountain, shoot it. See the tourists in the square, shoot them. If you're going to shoot post cards, why carry a ton of equipment?

However, when I *do* travel with the M8 and shoot inane postcards, I carry the Nocti and the fast 90 because I like to go out in the early evening and shoot in narrow streets, and because I don't really know the local situation, I prefer to stand back a bit. What I'm saying here is, most people have a kind of photography they particularly enjoy, so a travel kit is going to be pretty individual. The responses to this thread demonstrate that, so the question is unanswerable.

The problem with Victor's postings is that probably half (or more) or the people on this forum are non-native English speakers, and that kind of messaging b.s. is unintelligble to many of them. Maybe he can't write standard English, but if he can, then not doing so is pretty impolite. This has nothing to do with time or energy, the difference between typing "u" and "you" is probably not even a quarter-second. Of course, those quarter-seconds add up, I guess. 8-)

JC