TOP travel lens-set for M8

citrus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking to optimize my lenses I carry around when travelling - so far I only have the WADE for the M8 - which other lenses do you recommend.

I am thinking of :

1. Summilux M 1:1.4 / 35 Asph. or 2,0/28mm Asph. Summicron

2. Summilux-M 1,4/50mm Asph or Noctilux

3. APO-Summicron-M 2,0/90mm Asph.

Pls. let me know your opinion on the most favourite set-up respectively what you would go for as favourite lens-set.

I would definitely not go for the 2/90 - or the Nocti - simply too heavy and you do not need the high aperture with a digital camera like the M8.

So better go for the 2/75, 1.4/50, 2/35, 2/28

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last year i had no problems with M8

plus:

16/18/21

35asph. cron

2.8/50 elmar-m

75 cron

Fits in a small bag and covers all you need on travels.

Exactly, all you need is up till 75. And slower versions, which are cheaper and usually less weight.

Guest guy_mancuso

I have to say i spent 11 days in Germany shooting all day long on vacation and had 2 M8's and at least 6 to 8 lenses in my bag and I never felt worn out at any point on this trip except when i had to climb but that was age and smoking issues. But the DMR guys looked like they carried gear all day. This stuff is nothing to deal with. i think we are way too sensitive on carrying gear. I carried a M8 with lens on one shoulder and a Oscar bag with another body and lens plus 4 to 5 more for most of the trip and it was perfect and that included 75 lux 135 apo and 50 nocti.

wow......... so much ........

everybody talks about leica as compact camera..... great for travel for example cause it is so compact........

with the list that people give here for travel..... u can simply put one full frame canon, and one bog zoom and one fast fixed lens....... that is it...... no complication no nothing.........

how much leica m8 photographer can talk??????? i mean they can talk......... but how much NONESENSE..........

ICONSISTANCY.............. great fantastic stuning leica m8 photographerss

guy........... u r super example hahahhaa

2 m8 AT LEAST 6 lenses............ wow im so impressed...... your photographs are directly to the hole of fame ....... just because of it....... im not even looking at them...... later ...........

tell me...... with all that bulk...... wouldnot it be better to get some nice digi hasslebad ???????? ah..... that is big and heavy medium system............. two m8 with at least 6 lenses is like ping/pong ball weight and cigarett pack size bag............ hahahahha

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unless you need a very wide angle, I would think that 21/35/75 would cover most travel needs easily. All the various possibilities are very good, both Leica, Zeiss and Voigtländer, with the CV21 sometimes having a reputation for being slightly soft in the corners, but the price is the best deal.

Guest guy_mancuso

Victor i carried so much gear for years because i have too that any amount of M8 gear is not even close to a chore. Just like a women the bigger the purse the more shit goes in it. The one camera one lens thing is total BS, I like options and i hate that it is not leica photography crap too. Who the hell invented that line. Photography is about making choices and decisions based on what you want to create, i am certainly not going to limit myself on gear if i choice to do something completely different than a 28mm look. Sorry i don't buy that crap for a second. Load me up like a camel and let me get to work

It surely depends where you are travelling and what you are doing: If you are climbing the mountains, a CV 15, 28/2.8 asph and 50/2.8 M collapsible, mayby plus the macro 90 are the most you'll want or need. A pub crawl in Paris screams out for the Noctilux and if you are going on Safari you'll need to find a Visoflex and 280/4.8 to add to the Apo-135...

guy ....... to have choices.. of what????????? what choices are u talking about ????

choices to write wate mate 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...........90 91 ........ those are the choices???? so get canon........ zzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :))

anyway..... this is not the way i see leica M......... for my self i see it great...... and everybody will have his/her perspective......... but most of the people dont se leica M as it is clearly shown on this forum........ they see M ICON....... and put some $$$$$$$$ on it....... and get some crap with it............. cause leica M is not just clicking........... it is philosophy, intuition, concept (visual, sensitive, mental.. not just tech mech)..........

by the way.... have i said that one should not use more than one lens???????? never .....

i myself use more than one...... although i can get very well with only one too easily......

u want to cary and work go on :)) lets get to some travel together......... with big cameras........ i understand that u volunteer to carry it :)) i will take only one camera one lens and one film holder when we get on spot :))

hahah jaap..... no worries........ i dont carry that much film either..... u know..... im selective with cliking....... i mean not restrict myself.... simply dont click "just for clickin".......

and anyway....... we are not about film/digi here........:))

Guest guy_mancuso

I like having 12 to 135 to decide what will work best for what i want , it is pretty darn simple. I may use one or many but i am not going to be left with ah crap wish i brought the 90mm this time. There small and i see no reason to leave many of them out of the bag. i may rotate some in and out given what i am shooting but I will never limit my self on what gear I may need for a shot. On commercial shots you never know what will come up, just happened the other day. Walked in to a shoot and thought i was shooting some product the size of a bread box and wound up shooting nuts and bolts. For travel it is nice to have a nice range but even so i used every lens i brought along with me. I'm tired of the line it is the Leica way which this thread reminds me of, hell I debunked that theory all along, i am not HCB and i don't ever want to be. Maybe the heat is getting to me 31 days of over 110 degrees and i am just flat out sick of it. I get up at 4 am so i can actually breath 90 degree heat. it was a 165 degrees in my car yesterday after a shoot , just sitting in a parking lot . Hell the snakes are hiding. heading for Florida monday anything has to be better than this freaking desert right now. travel kit here is pack a air conditioner in your bag. LOL

I'm grumpy, sorry. LOL

For me, a travel kit is all about being light.

Sure, these lenses are liighter than their SLR counterparts, but that doesn't mean I want to carry a lot of them. I prefer to end my day not feeling like a pack mule.

So I stick with something like this:

15 CV

35 CV Pancake (would have been the 28 asph if I had ever found one)

90 tele-elmarit

The only thing that's really not covered is incredibly low-light situations. But even there I don't find it all that limiting because of the ISO flexibility of digital.

So you got this LEICA-SALES-REP-bag for your german promo-tour? :D

Guy, 8 lenses for two M-cameras? Wasn´t that because you could not resist the generous offer of the Leica academy to "take what you want"? I know that problem, but will never fall back to the old days ;)

cheers,

Ron

p.s. The hardcore M-user takes one lens per day of vacation - two weeks, fourteen lenses - they are so tiny :D

I have to say i spent 11 days in Germany shooting all day long on vacation and had 2 M8's and at least 6 to 8 lenses in my bag and I never felt worn out at any point on this trip except when i had to climb but that was age and smoking issues. But the DMR guys looked like they carried gear all day. This stuff is nothing to deal with. i think we are way too sensitive on carrying gear. I carried a M8 with lens on one shoulder and a Oscar bag with another body and lens plus 4 to 5 more for most of the trip and it was perfect and that included 75 lux 135 apo and 50 nocti.

But a 20" laptop and tons of DVDs instead like some guys do? :p

Shooting on film does NOT mean taking that much pictures, people used to take with a digital!

Hmm... Carrying 100 rolls of film in a lead container is not my idea of fun travel, Victor :p.

Guest guy_mancuso
So you got this LEICA-SALES-REP-bag for your german promo-tour? :D

Guy, 8 lenses for two M-cameras? Wasn´t that because you could not resist the generous offer of the Leica academy to "take what you want"? I know that problem, but will never fall back to the old days ;)

cheers,

Ron

p.s. The hardcore M-user takes one lens per day of vacation - two weeks, fourteen lenses :D

Well I did have there 24mm , 50 nocti , 75 cron as extra's in the bag. LOL

I'm a pig at least i own up to it. LOL

i like the one lens per day idea

The scary thing is Leica is coming to my Yosemite workshop with more gear to play with . Oh my wallet is in trouble. LOL

But a 20" laptop and tons of DVDs instead like some guys do? :p

Shooting on film does NOT mean taking that much pictures, people used to take with a digital!

Hmm - three weeks into the African Bush equalled 180 fims for me....No laptop, no DVDs but one Xsdrive and plenty of cards...

Guest s.m.e.p.

This was my travel set for 4 weeks Cuba:

[ATTACH]51988[/ATTACH]

2 M6TTL - CV 15/4,5 - 28/2.0asph. - 35/2.0asph. - 90/2.8 - SF20 - Gossen Multisix - ND-Filter 3x - 1 Battery - Leica Table Top Tripod - Leica Lens Cleaner - 30 Kodak E100G - 10 Fuji Provia 400F

ll fits in the Billingham for Leica with 2 Leica M Bag End Pockets.

I didn´t shoot all films - 36 shots a day are enough also on cuba - I have a brain to know what´s a good shot before pushing the release button. :cool:

For the M8 I would choose:

CV 15/4,5 - 28/2.0asph. - 50/1.4 - 90/2.8

Don´t carry too much lenses - after a short while you have the frame of the most used lens not only in the camera but also in your head and can respond very quick.

Too much lenses means: More thinking about what lens should I use next and not thinking about the light and the picture.

If I need all focal lengths between 12 and 200mm I would carry my Nikon DSLR-Equipment with 3 zooms. :eek: