Hello, Q2 Newbie here! I have a quick question or two..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After giving up on buying one back in 2019, I finally decided to buy one.  I had to pay $500 additional premium due to the recent price hike, but just couldn't get over not even giving one a try.  I just took delivery from B&H last night and had a brief moment to play with it.  My first impressions are

1) Not as small as I wanted it to be, but not as big as I thought.  And it's definitely heavier than I expected, but feels very substantial in my hands.

2) Texture feels somewhat slippery in my hands and my pinky is kind of hanging loose but hope that the Lim's case would resolve this issue.  Nonetheless, the overall feel of the Q2 is simply exquisite.  It is nothing like my other Sony cameras.  It is very elegantly designed yet looks so simple and pleasing to my eyes.

3) As for shooting experience, I don't have much to say yet.  It was getting late and battery fully charged just in time for me to go over few menu items and take just few snaps.  I will be sharing more on my shooting experience later.

I have a quick question.  Is there any way to zoom into the photo immediately taking the shot during the preview?  I extended the preview time to 5 seconds so that I would have enough time to press the zoom and immediately chimp at the photo but it would just take me back out to shooting mode.  I would have to push the Play button to get into playback mode first, then push the zoom button for reviewing..  I'm I doing something wrong or is this normal / customizable?

I also have another quick question.  When pushing the FN button, it always brings up the self-timer menu?  I read on this forum that I would have to push and hold the FN button to bring up other menu?  Is this true?  Is it defaulted to a self-timer menu when you short-press the FN button or is this customizable.  I think I remember I was not able to disable self-timer from FN button customizing menu..

Thank you in advance for your helps!

it's gonna take some time with the manual to get comfortable with how the /fn/ and the top right button are programmed as it's not immediately obvious--at least it wasn't to me. indeed, there is one function assigned for each button when you press it momentarily. when you long press either one you'll see 8-10 items which can be programmed to the button. simply select (enter) one of these and that will be the assigned function until you change it.

if you'd like to change the 8-10 items to choose from, go into the menu and there's an item called, i think, custom functions where you can choose up to 10 (i think) items to choose from using the two function buttons. it's trivial to do this after you get used to the paradigm and how these items are connected. but the possibility for confusion comes from when you want to delete an item which is the default assigned function. you first have to 'reprogram' the button to another function before you can remove the previous default item. 

i assure you this will make sense after reading the manual section and doing some trial and error. :) 

/guy

Edited by gteague

You reference a Leica forum discussion to learn about customising the function button. My advice is very simple. Spend a little time working your way through the Leica manual. Then engage with discussion. Some controls need to be studied in order to get the best out of the camera.

Second, do consider the Leica handgrip. It transforms the handling of my Leica Q, increasing security and operation, particularly as you highlight the slippery outer skin. The flat face, where your finger tips go, is rather more effective than a curved protrusion. Invest time in learning all you can in order to get the best out of your Q2. Enjoy!

On 7/8/2021 at 12:14 PM, gteague said:

it's gonna take some time with the manual to get comfortable with how the /fn/ and the top right button are programmed as it's not immediately obvious--at least it wasn't to me. indeed, there is one function assigned for each button when you press it momentarily. when you long press either one you'll see 8-10 items which can be programmed to the button. simply select (enter) one of these and that will be the assigned function until you change it.

if you'd like to change the 8-10 items to choose from, go into the menu and there's an item called, i think, custom functions where you can choose up to 10 (i think) items to choose from using the two function buttons. it's trivial to do this after you get used to the paradigm and how these items are connected. but the possibility for confusion comes from when you want to delete an item which is the default assigned function. you first have to 'reprogram' the button to another function before you can remove the previous default item. 

i assure you this will make sense after reading the manual section and doing some trial and error. :) 

/guy

I've been tinkering with many possibilities and reading the manual.  And of course, I've been diligently shooting during my time off from work.  Thanks for taking the time to response!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, wda said:

You reference a Leica forum discussion to learn about customising the function button. My advice is very simple. Spend a little time working your way through the Leica manual. Then engage with discussion. Some controls need to be studied in order to get the best out of the camera.

Second, do consider the Leica handgrip. It transforms the handling of my Leica Q, increasing security and operation, particularly as you highlight the slippery outer skin. The flat face, where your finger tips go, is rather more effective than a curved protrusion. Invest time in learning all you can in order to get the best out of your Q2. Enjoy!

Thank you for your kind response!  I've been playing with the menu, FN, and other customizable features.  And reading the manual as well.  I think I got most of the features to be set up to my likings..  :)  As for the grip, I went for the Lim's half case and it is so far great!  

• Like 1