Possible SL Typ 601 to SL2 upgrade question based on use case

geddon_jt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, considering upgrading the original SL to an SL2 and could use advice and thoughts from anyone who has done the same with a similar use case.

owned the original SL since early 2019, it has had heavy use as our pro body primarily for portrait and equestrian work. Has been bulletproof and the photos are always stellar, particularly the colors. Usually paired with a 75 noctilux M but recently have gotten a 120mm S macro lens which is a new kind of awesome.

We have been very happy with the SL but the increased resolution of the SL2 is particularly appealing. Particularly as it pertains to crop potential for images shot with the 120mm lens. We don’t really need super low light performance and autofocus tracking really doesn’t mean much to us either. Really wondering if anyone has upgraded to the SL who has regretted it from an IQ perspective? Or if there are other drawbacks under this use case i am not considering?

as always anyone’s thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thank you, John

I upgraded from the SL to the SL2 mainly for the extra resolution needed to make larger landscape prints with finer detail. As well, the SL glass is just so good, especially the APO Summicrons, I felt a higher resolution sensor was necessary to get the best performance out of these lenses. And this certainly has been the case. The SL2 with APO Summicrons is as close to MF performance in a 35 mm FF camera that I have ever seen. AF performance is also snappier on the SL2, viewfinder is definitely an improvement, especially when manually focussing. Ergonomics are improved with the notched grip. Only down side thus far is the high ISO performance. For landscapes, does not matter, but I know once I press the camera for reportage work, the high ISO performance could be an issue. I've also seen some issue with the mechanical shutter and IBIS...not sure what is going on their, but seems images are a bit less sharp at 1/125th and 1/250th when IBIS is activated. Maybe vibrations from the shutter confuse IBIS, I'm no engineer so cannot say for certain. At these speeds, I now switch to electronic shutter and there is no image degradation when using IBIS. I'm glad I invested in the SL2 and Leica's L glass at the time, but I must admit had I known the M10-R and M10-M were on the horizon, I may not have made the move and instead exited the L system all together. 

Edited by jplomley
  • Like 3

On 6/14/2021 at 10:05 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I don't like the new button layout on the back. SL was better. Other than that it's a better camera in every way.

Gordon

Ditto. I really miss the double function buttons and layout. 

Same here regarding the buttons.

On the other side I find IBIS really useful.

Some say the color out of the SL2 is a. little more punchy than the SL and some say they liked the SL color better.

I never regretted to go to the SL2, but the SL felt more like the "original"

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/14/2021 at 2:05 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I don't like the new button layout on the back. SL was better. Other than that it's a better camera in every way.

Gordon

Can you elaborate on how SL2 is better camera than SL in every way except the buttons? Thanks  

13 hours ago, nucky said:

Can you elaborate on how SL2 is better camera than SL in every way except the buttons? Thanks  

Many many reasons. Here's just a few.

* Significantly better AFS performance. Especially in low light. Focus down to EV-6.

* Faster buffer clearing.

* More resolution plus high res shot mode.

* LENR is not mandatory.

* USBC charging.

* Class leading IBIS.

* Improved menus, especially the quick menu.

* Better separation of stills and video functionality with memory for settings.

* Slightly improved EVF.

* Slightly improved grip.

Gordon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2021 at 7:12 PM, geddon_jt said:

We have been very happy with the SL but the increased resolution of the SL2 is particularly appealing. Particularly as it pertains to crop potential for images shot with the 120mm lens. We don’t really need super low light performance and autofocus tracking really doesn’t mean much to us either. Really wondering if anyone has upgraded to the SL who has regretted it from an IQ perspective? Or if there are other drawbacks under this use case i am not considering?

If you are not interested in high iso images (where the SL2s would offer a performance improvement) the SL2 turns out great images and offers a bigger usage envelope because of the IBIS, at least for stiller scenes. (But the SL2 is not much worse that the SL at high ISO) The SL2 loses gps, which is a pain, unless you are studio-bound. 

• Like 1