SL2-S Firmware Coming soon 👏

Ashkanani1985

59 minutes ago, Mpi said:

Did anyone compare AF performance with an S5 or S1? I use an S1H for video and AF seems to be significantly better than with the SL2. So I wonder whether there's hope that my SL2 will ever get into S1H territory?

Could it be the lens you use ? I wonder if sigma and pana lenses perform better than the clunky sl lenses on the SL2S... 

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Could it be the lens you use ? I wonder if sigma and pana lenses perform better than the clunky sl lenses on the SL2S... 

I only own Leica lenses (APO-Summicron-SL 35, 75, and 90, the Vario-Elmar 24-90 and 90-280, and the Summilux-SL 50). AF for all of them is faster and more precise on the S1H than the SL2.

As both the Panasonics and the Leicas use a contrast based AF I was hoping that this update might bring Leica to Panasonic levels. So I was wondering whether someone tried. @MarkinVan's post at least gives me hope :) (just to be clear: I don't think AF is terrible and it is certainly not something that limits me 99.99% of the time -- but if I can get an improvement I will happily take it)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 minutes ago, frame-it said:

which is why i wonder why people keep talking about Apple ProresRaw, not to mention Apples Licensing process

Aah yes I can see the processor being the barrier in this way (as well as the licensing requirement). Is there any news or literature that points to the Maestro III being incompatible with ProRes Raw? Please excuse my ignorance on this subject 😅 suffice it to say I was in fact holding my breath for Raw to be enabled in this update

42 minutes ago, Aaron Daniel said:

Aah yes I can see the processor being the barrier in this way (as well as the licensing requirement). Is there any news or literature that points to the Maestro III being incompatible with ProRes Raw? Please excuse my ignorance on this subject 😅 suffice it to say I was in fact holding my breath for Raw to be enabled in this update

i didn't say "incompatible", i quoted "The Maestro III is probably at its limits,"

12 hours ago, i-Leica said:

good news, that the next firmware for the SL2 will have all the same futures included in the update for the SL2-s :)

Read about it when SL2s came out in december but nothing since.... it better be lol

34 minutes ago, ruskkyle said:

Can't see anything on this so can anybody with firmware 2.0 confirm whether 4k 50p is still cropped to APS-C mode?

Thanks.

Still cropped. This has nothing to do with the firmware. Rather it is a limitation of the sensor readout. 

1 minute ago, ruskkyle said:

Thanks. Though as I understand it, 50p is now recorded in 10bit 4K?

Yes, but it is with 4.2.0 color only. I need to do a little testing myself, but the 200 Mbit/s HEVC (aka H.265) 10 bit 4.2.0 seems decent enough to mix it with the 24/25/30p 400 Mbit/s 10 bit 4.2.2. codec in All-I H.264 compression.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:57 PM, i-Leica said:

good news, that the next firmware for the SL2 will have all the same futures included in the update for the SL2-s :)

You have some inside info or...? If yes - WHEN do we get the SL2 fw?

• Like 1

The Follow Focus thing in FW 2.0 is in my very humble opinion a classic example of over-engineering. The only application which I would try to use this feature is when a motion control focus pull is needed. But then I had a proper cine camera. I’ve tried this with a Canon  500Mk2. It takes longer to set this thing up than just to take the shot a few times. 

Focus pulls are a filmmaker’s daily bread. It’s like panning a craft you learn (not difficult). No digital assistance required. 

I could think of many things I’d rather have developed than this gimmick. 

• Like 4