Change FN Key in Play Mode

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it possible to set the FN Key in Play mode to something else than permanent DELETE? Am exasperated by accidental deletes of nice shots-- for instance, finger slides off the move left button of the joy stick... ZAP! Aargh.

4 hours ago, RM8 said:

Is it possible to set the FN Key in Play mode to something else than permanent DELETE? Am exasperated by accidental deletes of nice shots-- for instance, finger slides off the move left button of the joy stick... ZAP! Aargh.

Err - the Fn button does not delete your image. It only opens the delete screen and you have to do an additional action afterwards. The image only gets deleted when you hit the trash bin on the right with you thumb. And if your thumb does slip (how?), it normally does not touch the delete button, it slides below it. It is hard to see how one could accidentally delete an image.

14 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It is hard to see how one could accidentally delete an image.

Just by touching the screen with the sliding thumb i guess. BTW is there a way to disable the touch screen feature on the CL? 

Edited by lct

Well, first you have to activate the Fn key, by your left index finger presumably, and then you have to maneuver your right thumb from the left triangle button about 1.5 cm to the left and 0.5 cm upwards.   If you manage to do that accidentally on a regular basis, I have but one advice: never attempt to play a piano... 🤪

• Haha 1

Hehe accidental is not that accidental if it is on a regular basis but it used to happen to me indeed. Now i don't play piano and i'm not even capable to type a text on a smartphone w/o doing typos go figure :D.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/2/2021 at 2:33 AM, jaapv said:

Err - the Fn button does not delete your image. It only opens the delete screen and you have to do an additional action afterwards. The image only gets deleted when you hit the trash bin on the right with you thumb. And if your thumb does slip (how?), it normally does not touch the delete button, it slides below it. It is hard to see how one could accidentally delete an image.

Try it e.g. with gloves. The bin icon is just 5mm or so from the left arrow of the joy stick. Maybe long-time Leica users have developed extremely fine motorics in their fingers, alas I am not yet there

38 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Umm.. my touch screen does not register my gloves. It does nothing at all.

It should work with or w/o gloves unless you disabled the touch screen feature. If so would you mind to explain how you managed to do so? Just curious as this feature is nothing but a pain for me.

2 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Whatever it is supposed to do with gloves it never did so for me and apparently for other people as well, as it has given rise to an industry that provides touch-screen gloves.

Just checked with synthetic gloves: it works.

On 4/2/2021 at 3:40 AM, lct said:

Hehe accidental is not that accidental if it is on a regular basis but it used to happen to me indeed. Now i don't play piano and i'm not even capable to type a text on a smartphone w/o doing typos go figure :D.

@jaapv may be spot on here. I must be thumb challenged! Can't play a single musical instrument and pluck keys with 2-4 fingers. Thank Lords of Software for swiping keyboards on phone and iPad

This established, would it derail Leica from its mission in the greater Scheme of Things to limit delete to the one image per FN push (and maybe add a click sound), and/or move the %$!@# bin icon up into the corner, and/or reserve delete-as-a-mode for the thumbprint screens

And don't get me started on my OTHER thumb challenge, when in Play mode it wanders in front of the eye sensor and silently blacks the LCD. Surprises me even after dozens of times. I used to flunk students of system design for lesser offences than that.