A Shot in the Light - A Test of Four Lenses

boojum

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been curious about the differences between some of the lenses in my meager inventory.  Today was sort of sunny in the afternoon so I took a drive out to Oysterville to compare four lenses on an M-9. The lenses tested were a Canon 28mm f/2.8, CV Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 II MC, 1955 50mm  f/2.0 Jupiter 8, 1988 85mm f/2.0 Jupiter 9.  All lenses were set to f/5.6 and the photos were taken in as quick succession as I could for while it was sunny it was also pretty cold.  The subject is the old schoolhouse, now closed for the Covid-19 pandemic,  https://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/WA-01-049-0035-03

28mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by boojum
syntax

35mm

50mm

85mm

• boojum changed the title to A Shot in the Light - A Test of Four Lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, True Confession time.  I have to redo this one.  I did not reset the lens profile in the camera when I changed the lenses.  Yes, I will write "I will change the lens setting in the camera when I change the lens" one hundred time in Latin on the blackboard.  And I will redo this when, and if, we get sunshine again.  I just wanted to show the differences in color rendering and acuity.  And if I am ambitious I will do it alongside an M240 at the same time, if the sun ever shines again.  Hopefully it will be of use to us all.

I can warm up with, "laudo, laudas, laudat, laudamus, laudatus, laudant."

Yet, it still showing each lens as it is expected. 

The only big differences I see with close to lens Leica lens profile enabled are barrel distortion corrections for Nokton 35 1.4 II and Color Skopar 21/4 corners colors shifts. But with 50 to 28 lenses on subject like on photos it is not going to be significant,  I guess.

Canon 28 2.8 is soft in the corners lens. And Jupiters are less resolving lenses with lower contrast. 

BTW, pretty cold and green grass is silly statement in Southern Ontario at this moment. :) 

M-E 220 at ISO 2500 and with wrong lens profile selected for Nokton 35 1.4 II.

35 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Yet, it still showing each lens as it is expected. 

The only big differences I see with close to lens Leica lens profile enabled are barrel distortion corrections for Nokton 35 1.4 II and Color Skopar 21/4 corners colors shifts. But with 50 to 28 lenses on subject like on photos it is not going to be significant,  I guess.

Canon 28 2.8 is soft in the corners lens. And Jupiters are less resolving lenses with lower contrast. 

BTW, pretty cold and green grass is silly statement in Southern Ontario at this moment. :) 

M-E 220 at ISO 2500 and with wrong lens profile selected for Nokton 35 1.4 II.

I lived a couple of years in Montreal and know well the weather you speak of where it does fait froide, bien froide.

I will have to drag out an M240 along with an M9 and run the tests again, and reset the lens settings within the camera.  While the settings are for Leica glass I do believe a setting for, say, a Leica 28mm would be better than a setting for a Leica 50mm when shooting the Canon 28mm.  I am sure there is someone who knows more on this who can possibly contribute.

Keep that dog away from the whisky.  Dogs are mean drunks.  ;o)

1 hour ago, boojum said:

I lived a couple of years in Montreal and know well the weather you speak of where it does fait froide, bien froide.

I will have to drag out an M240 along with an M9 and run the tests again, and reset the lens settings within the camera.  While the settings are for Leica glass I do believe a setting for, say, a Leica 28mm would be better than a setting for a Leica 50mm when shooting the Canon 28mm.  I am sure there is someone who knows more on this who can possibly contribute.

Keep that dog away from the whisky.  Dogs are mean drunks.  ;o)

I had overnight upgrade scheduled at Radio Canada once. Went on train to Montreal and it was full of travelers who have to abandon thier cars due to nation wide snowstorm. Our boss wife was travel agent who never figured out what streets here have east and west.

She booked west address while Radio Canada was on the East side. Took me forty five minutes to get on site from hotel.

Worked all night, got job done and went outside. I have to plow through deep and heavy snow for two hours to get to hotel. Sidewalk wasn't shoveled, yet. Cars were casually slamming to each over.

I'm constantly forgetting to switch from 50 profile for wider lenses and versa. Can't see big difference.

We don't bring strong alcohol on hikes. It is Ontarian cheap fortified wine. 

• Like 1