Sony Alpha 1

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42 minutes ago, frame-it said:

am sure they will, they need to shoot as much as possible and not miss any moment.

my favorite sony AF video >

Regarding the video—No really, they don't. It's just not necessary to not miss or take every moment at 30fps. Just because there is a video of someone who has no idea of what they are doing using it doesn't mean a good photographer won't get a better image with 1 or 5fps.

Edited by Dr No

1 hour ago, pgk said:

Personally, I don't use the 'continuous' drive setting on any of my cameras as it is.

I use it quite a bit, but mainly because the stop at ‘S’ on my M246 isn’t as firm as I’d like, and I keep accidentally going to ‘C’ instead!

16 minutes ago, frame-it said:

for some photographers it IS necessary..so let them be happy :)

i just sold my SL, waiting to check out the new GFX, then will decide between the SL2-S and GFX100s

The only photographers that need 30fps are cinema photographers.

The GFX-100 looks like a brilliant camera as does the SL2-S. I would find it very difficult to look past the Fuji if I was buying anything right now, and $500 cheaper than the Sony too is truly remarkable. I think Fuji may have just conquered stills, at least.

Edited by Dr No
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr No said:

The GFX-100 looks like a brilliant camera as does the SL2-S. I would find it very difficult to look past the Fuji if I was buying anything right now, and $500 cheaper than the Sony too is truly remarkable. I think Fuji may have just conquered stills, at least.

Yes, have to admit i'm very closely looking at the GFX100S that was launched today.

I find it incredible that medium format pricing is starting to be match some of the 35mm FFs ....SL2 (which I already own) or GFX100S for a very similar price?

7 hours ago, pgk said:

but IMO Sony need to sort their menus out because they are a mess. And their control buttons/dials. Working with the Sonys is not a particularly pleasant experience and is more a bout forcing the cameras to do what I want instead of being about concentrating on the far more important image creation side of things.

Exactly this.

2 hours ago, Dr No said:

50MP at 30fps, is to me, ridiculous. It's not a game changer it's potentially a very distracting career and photography killer.

I read the comments people are making elsewhere over the internet on various blogs and so forth and I wonder, where did photography go?

More and more appealing to me is returning to 1 frame every 10 minutes with large format.

Yes, goodbye the decisive moment era, welcome to the spray and pray times 🙂 Agree. I always shoot single shot mode, except or some rare occasions. But Leica is set to 'S" drive mood in all my user profiles. But some action photographers maybe are seeing it my point in a different way.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

Yes, have to admit i'm very closely looking at the GFX100S that was launched today.

I find it incredible that medium format pricing is starting to be match some of the 35mm FFs ....SL2 (which I already own) or GFX100S for a very similar price?

Indeed. 100MP IBIS Medium Format is now cheaper than Sony and the Sony is now more expensive than Leica.

We're not in Kansas any more Todo.

I have pre-ordered the GFX 100s.. my gfx 100 will be going back to the store! Its just too big an I am glad the 100s is available for pre-order before the return window of my gfx 100 expired.. 

Talking of Sony A1, I certainly think it is an overkill and over priced BUT if I were to use it, I would rarely use 30fps and 20fps and might just go for 15fps at lower MP setting in camera like 36MP or something which is MORE THAN ENOUGH for many occasions.. I will be eyeing this in the used market a year, year and half later :D right now my Sony a9 is plenty sufficient!! It would still be 2 years from now AFAIK! 

1 hour ago, Jon Warwick said:

I find it incredible that medium format pricing is starting to be match some of the 35mm FF

Well, a bigger sensor may be a bit more expensive but camera bodies can only contain more or less the same other pieces of electronics. I'm actually surprised that medium format digital cameras are as expensive as they are and have put it down to relatively low comparative demand which skews pricing as ever. That said, the camera market has taken a battering over the last decade so anything that helps a manufacturer make a sales and a profit at the higher end of the market is probably what will drive it to some extent in the future. To my way of thinking cameras such as the Sony Alpha 1 are well overpriced, will have an extraordinary rate of depreciation and offer little in real photographic terms that many really 'need'. I wouldn't buy one myself that is for sure, and I'm really not swayed by any of the current offerings other than the M10, but I simply don't need to buy an M10 yet and will only do so when my current cameras fail and I need to replace them.

3 hours ago, Dr No said:

Regarding the video—No really, they don't. It's just not necessary to not miss or take every moment at 30fps. Just because there is a video of someone who has no idea of what they are doing using it doesn't mean a good photographer won't get a better image with 1 or 5fps.

Having an idea and the picture, too: it matters for someone who makes a living with action photography. 
And ask journalists how stills versus videos sell.

42 minutes ago, tri said:

Having an idea and the picture, too: it matters for someone who makes a living with action photography. 
And ask journalists how stills versus videos sell.

Yes, well I certainly agree everyone has their own uses and ways of doing things. I'm not arguing that, or for one moment trying to say that the traditional way is the only credible way (even though by sentiment i think it is). The future will do what they like with it and it's not in our control. But I do have my opinion of it and I think it stinks. :) It's the antithesis of photography and photography is turning into something else which saddens me. I feel the preservation of it is important for as long as we can manage to.

Video is certainly growing in it's relevance very quickly and has already taken over in some instances. There are very big campaigns recently that have foregone stills altogether. No one can guess the relevance of stills in 10-20 years or more but it really is touch and go for commercial use. However, one thing I know for certain from experience is you don't need to shoot at 30fps or capture a still frame from tens of thousands of 50MP video frames to get a great picture. Just looking for the right one out of thousands means you're already late in delivering to your editor in many of the instances people are talking about (sport in particular) and for the majority of cases - the very best pictures always rise to the top, sometimes days later as they're found. But the bulk of their earnings come from having the first picture before it disappears into a glut of thousands.

Camera manufacturers, and fewer of them, are shaping the future of photography more than I like, just purely to sell something. It should be the other way around. But people will buy this because it's there and they buy into the marketing of it. That doesn't mean it will make their livers or their futures, or the future of photography any better.

Edited by Dr No

Never owned a Sony camera but can never resent or look down my nose at them, in fact I am ever so grateful to them, I think we all should be.  Do we really think the Canon R, Nikon Z, Fuji GFX cameras would exist in their current form without Sony just starting things and getting on with it (regardless of whether you like their product)? A rhetorical question as we all know the answer. Even Leica have been forced to concentrate their minds with their product as a result of where we now are with mirror less cameras, thanks to Sony.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2021 at 12:59 AM, Dr No said:

ok, if you say so 😇

2 hours ago, frame-it said:

ok, if you say so 😇

A manufacturers marketing video is obviously going to tell people they need it and the photographer who is being paid to be int he video will say what ever they want them to say.

It's also out of context from my comment and I'm not talking about smalls bursts of 30fps either.

I am not sure you couldn't do the same with A9 or A9II at 20fps.. Next year if Sony makes another one with 60fps the a1 becomes obsolete? IMO the a1 is around 1000-1300 bucks overpriced.. 6500 is outrageous!!! I will look to buy it when its under 4k perhaps

• 2 months later...