Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sony has announced its latest and greatest camera - the Alpha 1 (https://alphauniverse.com/stories/sony-announces-the-alpha-1/). At £6500 its not cheap option and even substantially more than the Leica SL2. It has a very high specification of course, and exceeds the SL2 on paper, but I do wonder just what the differential will mean in practice? For specialists I can see that the Apha 1 might well have advantages, even great advantages, but for 'normal' or 'ordinary' usage, both cameras are very highly specified indeed - excessively so perhaps - I actually covet neither, as they supply very little more that I would utilise over the camera that I already own. Whilst the high Pixels might be handy if I had them, I don't actually need more. We have certainly got to the point of diminishing returns and it seems to me that the cost of 'improvements' is now becoming excessive. An interesting pair of cameras for sure, but their real world relevance is for me starting to become doubtful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's some impressive spec list, a mix of the A9 and the A7RIV + a bunch of other goodies thrown in. 30 FPS with no blackout, 1/400 flash sync speed, 9,5 million dots EVF with 240 refresh rate.

Not interested in getting this camera but it sure looks great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious to know more about this new camera. Pretending to have about a 15k budget to switch from DSLR to Mirrorless, I would still buy today an SL2-S + a 35 APO SL + three third/part lenses + batteries + cards. I don't like the Sony's because they have so many buttons, OMG. Excellent tools, but more machines than cameras 😒 With the same budget, one could also buy the new Sony Alpha 1 + same spare accessories, but with more lenses. Did you read about the wifi capabilities for the wireless and wired photo transfers? Very impressive. There are so many new tremendous and innovative features—my respect for Sony. 


And I also know I love to shoot with my M10 more than any camera. And for work, still w/ DSLR. But I never tried any pro mirrorless, I mean (what is more important) an EVF. So I can say nothing about it. But I'm curious to see what it can feel to shoot with an EVF. Does this improve your photography? It's more fun? Easier? 

 

Edited by Dennis
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a do-it-all camera.. 

At $6.5K it will be a hard sell I think and I think it’s priced that way to retain sales of a7r4 and a9II I guess. I think most computers will need upgrades to process 50MP files shot at 30fps.. 30fps is just crazy!!! It’s not photography anymore.. it’s just video and cutting out frames 😂 I think 5.5K would be the right price for this!! 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, frame-it said:

i thought the SL2 has a total of 13 buttons including dials ?

That's why, loving M10, I'm sure I can love the SL2-S too.

5 minutes ago, aksclix said:

30fps is just crazy!!! It’s not photography anymore.

+1

Great powers come with great responsibilities lol ... Imagine storage and faster computers needs

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Dennis said:

But I'm curious to see what it can feel to shoot with an EVF. Does this improve your photography? It's more fun? Easier? 

 

You don't know anybody with a recent mirrorless that you can borrow for a day or two? 

I prefer EVFs to OVFs but I can see why people can have a preference for the latter. 

I like the WYSIWYG experience, the ability to set up various live info ie zebra lines, histograms etc., magnification and focus peaking when using manual focus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dennis said:

 I don't like the Sony's because they have so many buttons, OMG.

I use A7IIs and they produce excellent images but IMO Sony need to sort their menus out because they are a mess. And their control buttons/dials. Working with the Sonys is not a particularly pleasant experience and is more a bout forcing the cameras to do what I want instead of being about concentrating on the far more important image creation side of things. The user interface gets in the way. Even if I 'needed' the abilities of the Alpha 1, I would look long and hard at any alternatives before going for one simply due to the user interface (and I'm speaking from the viewpoint of finding the A7IIs ideal for some things and even bought another new lens for them last week).

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

Wasn't there something about Sony revamping/simplifying the menu structure in the A1?  The menus on my A7III & A6500 are by far the worst features on otherwise excellent performers.

I've looked and can't find anything, but there is such a lot about its abilities that it might be easy to miss info on a real improvement😀.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keith (M) said:

Wasn't there something about Sony revamping/simplifying the menu structure in the A1?  The menus on my A7III & A6500 are by far the worst features on otherwise excellent performers.

via DPR >

The grip, dials and button layout is a match for the a7S III as, thankfully, are the better laid-out menus. As Sony's full-frame cameras have developed over time their ergonomics have improved, and the latest menu system addresses the biggest of our remaining concerns.

The good news is that the a1 allows you to make use of its touchscreen much more extensively than most previous Sony cameras. Like the a7S III you can use the touchscreen to control the menus, including the Fn menu, which immediately makes the camera quicker to use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, frame-it said:

The good news is that the a1 allows you to make use of its touchscreen much more extensively than most previous Sony cameras. Like the a7S III you can use the touchscreen to control the menus, including the Fn menu, which immediately makes the camera quicker to use.

Unfortunately for me I use my A7IIs underwater and so a touchscreen is utterly irrelevant!☹️

Link to post
Share on other sites

50MP at 30fps, is to me, ridiculous. It's not a game changer it's potentially a very distracting career and photography killer.

I read the comments people are making elsewhere over the internet on various blogs and so forth and I wonder, where did photography go?

More and more appealing to me is returning to 1 frame every 10 minutes with large format.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dr No said:

50MP at 30fps, is to me, ridiculous. It's not a game changer it's potentially a very distracting career and photography killer.

I read the comments people are making elsewhere over the internet on various blogs and so forth and I wonder, where did photography go?

More and more appealing to me is returning to 1 frame every 10 minutes with large format.

good for sports, fashion shows, etc etc..they're [sony] probably hoping it will be used at the Tokyo Olympics, which wont happen anyways thanks to Covid

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, frame-it said:

good for sports, fashion shows, etc etc..they're [sony] probably hoping it will be used at the Tokyo Olympics, which wont happen anyways thanks to Covid

Yes I thought the same re olympics too. I mean, for Sports, sure. But 30fps? The best sports photographers won't be using 30fps much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dr No said:

50MP at 30fps, is to me, ridiculous. It's not a game changer it's potentially a very distracting career and photography killer.

It may rather se-skill photography. The 'decisive moment' might default to being selected and appropriately cropped after the event, rather than being considered, seen and captured. But this rather depends on your point of view. To some, equipment which allows HCB style shots to be taken with ease and a minimum of their own effort probably appeals. Personally, I don't use the 'continuous' drive setting on any of my cameras as it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 47 Minuten schrieb Dr No:

50MP at 30fps, is to me, ridiculous.

Perfect for travel photography on a group tour together with 50 other tourists. Wideangle lens, full auto and 30fps when getting off the bus to the place of interest. Crop and select in hotel or at home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, pgk said:

It may rather se-skill photography. The 'decisive moment' might default to being selected and appropriately cropped after the event, rather than being considered, seen and captured. But this rather depends on your point of view. To some, equipment which allows HCB style shots to be taken with ease and a minimum of their own effort probably appeals. Personally, I don't use the 'continuous' drive setting on any of my cameras as it is.

Yes, I guess that is the point I'm making and what I personally  find so distasteful and distrusting of. That, though, is becoming somewhat irrelevant and what the future does with it is out of our control. The stills captures form the 8K footage are very good (attached but compressed for the forum) - we all knew this is coming so it's no surprise but to me it's quite awful.

Aside from the obvious commercial uses such as he Olympics etc, which, while I can appreciate but still find off putting, the only game I fear will change is people's value and perception of good photography, banished to the mothballed and tumbleweed strewn plains of yesterday.

Edited by Dr No
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Dr No said:

Yes I thought the same re olympics too. I mean, for Sports, sure. But 30fps? The best sports photographers won't be using 30fps much.

am sure they will, they need to shoot as much as possible and not miss any moment.

my favorite sony AF video >

 

Edited by frame-it
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, frame-it said:

am sure they will, they need to shoot as much as possible and not miss any moment.

Some perhaps, but more-so the new generation and in particular the future. The best and most experienced will know what a good photo is to begin with. But at this point, how long will stills even last in that context, just pause on the 8K video and print straight from your TV or phone or just watch in 1000fps slow motion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...