if you had to choose only one F/stop (0.95-16)

Dennis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let's say you have to pick one M camera of your choice (film or digital) + your favorite lens (prime or zoom, any brand). But you have to shoot for one entire month with the same f/stop. No exceptions.

Which camera/lens combination, and most important, which f/stop would you choose? and why, of course 🙂

Wide open w/ Noctilux? f/8 w/ a 24? Interesting.

I start by saying that it would probably be an M10-R + 35mm Summicron ASPH (to buy yet). And my aperture would be f/4. On a 35mm, I think it could be my favorite commitment for DOP at the close, medium, and long distances. 

What's your camera | lens | f/ combination?

I'm asking because I'm doing myself a test/challenge/game for this month 😬 , shooting at f/4 in January. And I'm curious what others would do.

What do you think of my rare 35/4 Biogon? 😎

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Love the f4 Biogon!

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Reason: at 5.6 it stops being about the particular lens. it becomes all about composition. for me that's where the fun starts.

Interesting. F/5.6 is also where the lens maybe perform better. And yes, composition time and great DOP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

'f/8 and be there"!

f/8 seems a sensible aperture to use with my M6 and 35/2. I probably have 400 ISO film loaded, Superia or HP5, and the shutter only goes to 1/1000. I'll be about a stop overexposed if I'm lucky enough to hit Sunny 16 conditions with the shutter dialed all the way up, but that's fine with those films, and I can still shoot handheld at dusk if I drop to 1/60. Useful depth of field, and of course the lens performs well at middle apertures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shirubadanieru said:

Film: M3 + Summicron Rigid @f4 (to cover portraits and street it’s probably the best compromise) 

I think so. Love f/4

1 hour ago, shirubadanieru said:

Although if I could only use the above apertures I’d probably pick smaller / cheaper lenses hehe 

Interesting point. I have TT 35/1.4 and the Biogon. If I shoot at f/4 only, I prefer of course Biogon: smaller, lighter and better performer

1 hour ago, Anbaric said:

'f/8 and be there"!

It would be my second choice after f/4

1 hour ago, Anbaric said:

I probably have 400 ISO film loaded, Superia or HP5, and the shutter only goes to 1/1000. I'll be about a stop overexposed if I'm lucky enough to hit Sunny 16 conditions with the shutter dialed all the way up, but that's fine with those films, and I can still shoot handheld at dusk if I drop to 1/60. Useful depth of field, and of course the lens performs well at middle apertures.

looks like a terrific plan

49 minutes ago, cboy said:

Imo candid portraits at f4 is my sweetspot

+1

@Dennis check out the super cool M Monochrom Stealth edition 😉

https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-Special-Editions/Stealth

For me f/4 or f/5.6 may yield the best resolution and contrast, but does not bring out the character of the lens, so f/1.2 would be.my fixed aperture at 40mm these days.

Leica SF did a one day workshop with the Noctilux : the challenge was not only constant aperture of f/0.95, but also fixed focus of 1m ( there was a lot of blur and missed focus involved ) .... these days 2m would be advisable 😞

Edited by FrozenInTime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did this for a while with my first M - unmetered M4-2.

With Velvia 50 or Pan F B&W = f/6.8 at 1/250th in sunlight.

Lens would be 21mm Elmarit-M. But 35 Summicron v.4 or 90mm Tele-Elmarit-M were always my other options.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I'm loyal to Puts. I have read him and understand. (Sorry for those who don't).

f5.6.

I need to read something about him. I heard so many good things. At the moment, I'm reading Sean Reid

5.6 because the lens performance or because you like the DOP?

3 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

check out the super cool M Monochrom Stealth edition 😉

Wow.. It's very interesting, it's looks like my Biogon f/4 but better made 😂

3 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

Leica SF did a one day workshop with the Noctilux : the challenge was not only constant aperture of f/0.95, but also fixed focus of 1m ( there was a lot of blur and missed focus involved ) .... these days 2m would be advisable 😞

Very peculiar photos... More abstract... But for me, it's missing the context, which affect me haha. But they totally makes sense

2 hours ago, smkoush said:

Probably the MP (w/Tri-X) and 35mm summilux pre-asph at f/2.8. I really like the rendering of that lens slightly stopped (though 1.4 is great if one knows what to expect)

I little bit less DOP than f/4, but still worth for me. Used correctly, I could be fine with 2.8 too .... But it depends.

1 hour ago, adan said:

unmetered M4-2.

Velvia 50 or Pan F B&W

f/6.8 at 1/250th in sunlight.

21mm Elmarit-M

Wow, it sounds a great combination. Here, you can finally forget about DOP and maybe use zone focus system with only three distances and voila.... Thanks for sharing

1 hour ago, Ray Vonn said:

35mm Summicron iv and F8 instinctively, during the day it just works, but that would mean not many might shots.  So why not F2? Would focus on the subject in hand without completely blowing out the background.

If was for shooting street photography only for a month, by daylight, f/8 would be mine. But f/2 , so swallow for a general use

Glad to see many mentioning the Summicron v4

• Like 1

When I got my Noctilux, I shot a whole summer at f/1.0, so that wouldn't be a big change or challenge to me. And with my ASPH Summiluxes (35/50mm) I almost exclusively shoot at f/1.4, because stopped down I think they look "boring".

I use my older lenses with all apertures though.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1