if you had to choose only one F/stop (0.95-16)

Dennis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My combination would be M10-R + 35 Cron Asph @f/4 

35mm because, for me, it is the best FL for M cameras 0.72x. Or like a 50mm for an M3 ... It's my best fit. I think 35mm is an incredibly versatile lens, capable of shooting from portraits to landscapes, passing from street photography, and finally for documentary purposes. When it's about to tell a story, my to-go lens is a 35mm. 

Why the aperture? Because I guess it's a perfect commitment. F/4 at 70cm, I can have a fantastic kind-of-shallow DoP. (see picture below)

Medium distances, it still gives me separation (in pursuit of a 3d-pop effect). While focusing at large distances (15mt, for example), on a 35mm, f/4 can reach infinity.

@pippy above the reason why, as you asked. Your choice is f/4.5, similar reasons? Or being a 40mm is another world? Never used, I just can imagine

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Dennis said:

...Why the aperture? Because I guess it's a perfect commitment. F/4 at 70cm, I can have a fantastic kind-of-shallow DoP. (see picture below)

Medium distances, it still gives me separation (in pursuit of a 3d-pop effect). While focusing at large distances (15mt, for example), on a 35mm, f/4 can reach infinity.

@pippy above the reason why, as you asked. Your choice is f/4.5, similar reasons? Or being a 40mm is another world? Never used, I just can imagine...

For exactly the same reasoning, Dennis.

As far as the focal length goes; I occasionally like to crop very marginally 'loose' so can finesse final crop in post - mostly for correcting tilting horizons etc.- and have discovered(*) that 40mm is the way I 'see' things; 35mm being a bit too wide for me (I'm not one of the "Full-Image or Failed" purists). Aperture-wise the extra 1/2-stop down from f4 with the 40mm effectively delivers pretty much the same results as does f4 with a 35mm lens.

40mm isn't really another world but I usually found that my shots taken with a 35 were being cropped a bit too much to produce the image I 'saw' when at the taking stage but, had the image been shot with a 50mm I would have been too tight-in and missed it. With the 40mm I get the shot and, not having to crop much - if at all - I get the highest quality sensor-wise and the full character of the lens.

Philip.

(*) Quite by chance, as it happens, but that's a different story...

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, pippy said:

As far as the focal length goes; I occasionally like to crop very marginally 'loose' so can finesse final crop in post - mostly for correcting tilting horizons etc.- and have discovered(*) that 40mm is the way I 'see' things; 35mm being a bit too wide for me (I'm not one of the "Full-Image or Failed" purists). Aperture-wise the extra 1/2-stop down from f4 with the 40mm effectively delivers pretty much the same results as does f4 with a 35mm lens.

40mm isn't really another world but I usually found that my shots taken with a 35 were being cropped a bit too much to produce the image I 'saw' when at the taking stage but, had the image been shot with a 50mm I would have been too tight-in and missed it. With the 40mm I get the shot and, not having to crop much - if at all - I get the highest quality sensor-wise and the full character of the lens.

Philip.

(*) Quite by chance, as it happens, but that's a different story...

I own Olympus Trip 35 film camera with fixed 40mm 2.8 Zuiko lens. My wife constantly tells me that the best photos I made were from this camera. I love my Leica equipment as well as my wife so maybe I shall try Nokton 40 1.4 to satisfy both 🙂

Philip, can you give me any insight in Nokton 1.4?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cobram said:

I own Olympus Trip 35 film camera with fixed 40mm 2.8 Zuiko lens. My wife constantly tells me that the best photos I made were from this camera. I love my Leica equipment as well as my wife so maybe I shall try Nokton 40 1.4 to satisfy both 🙂

Philip, can you give me any insight in Nokton 1.4?

Happily, Cobram. The 40mm f1.4 Nokton is a 'Marmite' lens; if you like it you love it and if you don't like it you hate it. Many people in WWW-land have reported back-focus issues with it and under certain circumstances it does, indeed, back-focus but it had never once been an issue for me and the way I shoot.

Best thing to do first-off would be to read what I wrote in post #23 here;

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/316653-your-favorite-lens-for-2021/page/2/#comments

If there is anything more specific you wish to ask please feel free to send me a PM. There are a couple of things worth noting - such as it's a very good idea to buy the dedicated Voigtlander hood! - but we'd be going a bit off-topic if I was to cover its specific character here in Dennis' post.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Dennis said:
21 hours ago, BradS said:

...and what is DOP?  
Do you mean DoF, depth of field ? 

Yes. I didn't know was better to write it DoP. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe he was referring to the use of P instead of F? What does P stand for?

My combo would be 50 Lux Asph and F4

Edited by Harpomatic
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Harpomatic said:

Maybe he was referring to the use of P instead of F? What does P stand for?

Please excuse me all. it's of course Depht of field. Don't know why I wrote DoP... Confounding the P with F, like foto-photo.... sorry about that.

5 hours ago, pippy said:

Awesome, i knew it.

1 hour ago, Harpomatic said:

My combo would be 50 Lux Asph and F4

Oh yeah, another f/4 ... Interesting.

15 minutes ago, albertospa said:

Summicron 35 v4, f 3.5
Summilux 50 II, f 1.4 or f 2.

And if you have to choose one for a month? After that you can use whatever you want 🤣

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 250swb said:

f/8, or perhaps f/11 for me. But many may be surprised if I just mention that a Summilux lens has these apertures available, refer to the owners manual for guidance on how to use them. 

Do you mean to tell me Summilux lenses have apertures other than 1.4?

I am shocked!

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

I am shocked!

Funny 😂

But I think there are many users shooting almost wide open only with their favorite lens. De gustibus non est disputandum 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, jdlaing said:

I am shocked!

So it seems, they bought eight apertures but can only use one. Which given the average ratio of 'in focus' to 'out of focus' using f/1.4 means 99.9% of the surface area of their images are a blur. You can not focus at all and get a 75% chance of something being sharp at f/11.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

So it seems, they bought eight apertures but can only use one. Which given the average ratio of 'in focus' to 'out of focus' using f/1.4 means 99.9% of the surface area of their images are a blur. You can not focus at all and get a 75% chance of something being sharp at f/11.

Im afraid its the current fashion.

Growing up, my mentors were Mary Ellen Mark, Costa Manos, Garry Winogrand, Lee Friedlander, Alex Webb and others who used the M and a summicron or elmarit lens to tell a story.

Today I use a 50 1.4 ASPH, 35 FLE and a 28 2.0 v2 to tell my story. it allows me to work indoors wide open and outdoors stopped down.

Ofcourse I dreamed of owning a Noctilux but I always envisioned myself in some far away exotic place embedded with a nomadic tribe making pictures by the light of a campfire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Im afraid its the current fashion.

Growing up, my mentors were Mary Ellen Mark, Costa Manos, Garry Winogrand, Lee Friedlander, Alex Webb and others who used the M and a summicron or elmarit lens to tell a story.

Today I use a 50 1.4 ASPH, 35 FLE and a 28 2.0 v2 to tell my story. it allows me to work indoors wide open and outdoors stopped down.

Ofcourse I dreamed of owning a Noctilux but I always envisioned myself in some far away exotic place embedded with a nomadic tribe making pictures by the light of a campfire.

I'm thinking of Edward Weston who never committed the wide open crime on a red pepper. I think he found more to say about an aubergine at f/64 than any number of number of vacuous creamy bokeh Summilux images at f/1.4. There, said it.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Dennis said:

Funny 😂

But I think there are many users shooting almost wide open only with their favorite lens. De gustibus non est disputandum 🤷‍♂️

Magna apertura non subdisjunctivus est...

Ernst

• Haha 1