if you had to choose only one F/stop (0.95-16)

Dennis

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

It's harmony 🙂 Interesting visual point of view ...

Thank you, Dennis!

Snap is actually a central crop from a horizontally-shot pic but I couldn't get any closer to the subject matter (fence / pallisade in the way) so had to crop-in later. Although it looks like nothing is sharp here there is the TINIEST hair of grass on the main 'head' of the plant which, even when viewed at 200%, is razor sharp! If you double / triple click and look at the area lower-right-hand-side where the seed-head is seen against the dark patch...

:lol:

Hey; I'm not going to say "At Minimum Focus This Lens Back-Focusses 2cm!" or any such crap. I could hardly focus the camera as it was both windy and rather dark at the time I took the snap.

I don't mind there being so little 'sharp'. In fact I love the fact that there is so little sharp! It seems to be a defining feature of the character of this lens when used wide-open and I love the look.

I did also shoot some images at f4 / f5.6 and, down there, the Summarit is as sharp as anything I'd ever need. But as you, yourself, noted in post #148 it's only at f1.5 where this lens comes shows its real character.

True Story! When I was a student there was a watercolour by J.M.W. Turner ("Seascape; Folkestone" I believe) which sold at auction for around the $10m mark which, 35 years ago, was quite a bit of loose-change. I remember reading an article by a journalist at the time who, in conversation with the London cabbie in whose taxi he was travelling, mentioned he had just been covering the sale of the painting for his column in the paper. The cabbie was shown the catalogue's picture of the work and said "Funny how these Paintings which sell for millions always seem to be a bit out of focus"...

:lol:

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Just another f1.5 experiment with the Summarit on the M Monochrom from slightly earlier today.

"Organised Chaos" of the plant-forms adjacent to 'my' armchair. Focus was tip of highlight-leaf shown against dark curtain, left-hand-side;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

...and just a last one from this evening's stroll.

As before; 50mm f1.5 Summarit shot wide-open on the M Monochrom;

I think next month I will use the same lens but at either f4 or 5.6 to see how the essential character of this lens changes as soon as the aperture goes below f2.8...

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pippy said:

...and just a last one from this evening's stroll.

As before; 50mm f1.5 Summarit shot wide-open on the M Monochrom;

I think next month I will use the same lens but at either f4 or 5.6 to see how the essential character of this lens changes as soon as the aperture goes below f2.8...

Philip.

This one even better, best photo you posted of this lens ... 🏆

• Thanks 1

Getting towards the end of the month and it's been a fascinating experience!

Had a short break after lunch today so dragged the good old Summarit out once more. Didn't have long so just went back to the Old Stomping Ground around the Crystal Palace Transmitter Tower; I seem to be building up a series of shots of this thing!

Same as ever; M Monochrom / 50mm f1.5 Summarit shot wide open;

Philip.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/21/2021 at 5:27 PM, pippy said:

True Story! When I was a student there was a watercolour by J.M.W. Turner ("Seascape; Folkestone" I believe) which sold at auction for around the $10m mark which, 35 years ago, was quite a bit of loose-change. I remember reading an article by a journalist at the time who, in conversation with the London cabbie in whose taxi he was travelling, mentioned he had just been covering the sale of the painting for his column in the paper. The cabbie was shown the catalogue's picture of the work and said "Funny how these Paintings which sell for millions always seem to be a bit out of focus"...

Perhaps you recall that on the lower left corner of Seascape there are several razor sharp grasses...   :)

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, pippy said:

Getting towards the end of the month and it's been a fascinating experience!

Yes, beautiful experience right? People sometimes are scared to joke, or to break the rules. Or just don't understand the reason behind the "why". Glad you enjoyed it.

Here, a few pictures at f/2 of February 

M10 + 50 Summicron v5 wide open

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 1

Again, M10 + 50 Summicron v5 wide open

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

Yes, beautiful experience right?......Glad you enjoyed it...

In return, Dennis, I'm extremely grateful that you proposed the idea in the first place.

My appreciation of the Summarit (which is ongoing) owes an enormous amount to the ethos behind this thread and, for that, I thank you most sincerely.

Philip.

• Like 1