Lumix Sx + Leica SF-C1 flash controller

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To info for, possibly, some of the forum members:

The Leica flash controller SF-C1 does work on the Lumix S1R and S5 (and likely the rest of the Panasonic L-mount bodies), with one caveat: If the bodies are idle for some time (25 sec to several min, seem to vary a lot), the contact between SF-C1 and the flash(es) - Nissin MG10 in my case - is lost, so the connection has to be re-established by pressing a blinking green light on the controller. Otherwise no problem, as far as I can tell. 

It could be that the Nissin Air10s for Micro four thirds (Olympus/Panasonic)  fully works on the Lumix Sx bodies, but I only have the SF-C1 controller.

(And yes, the Nilssin MG10 are updated with the latest firmware). 

• Thanks 3

On 12/30/2020 at 4:02 PM, helged said:

To info for, possibly, some of the forum members:

The Leica flash controller SF-C1 does work on the Lumix S1R and S5 (and likely the rest of the Panasonic L-mount bodies), with one caveat: If the bodies are idle for some time (25 sec to several min, seem to vary a lot), the contact between SF-C1 and the flash(es) - Nissin MG10 in my case - is lost, so the connection has to be re-established by pressing a blinking green light on the controller. Otherwise no problem, as far as I can tell. 

It could be that the Nissin Air10s for Micro four thirds (Olympus/Panasonic)  fully works on the Lumix Sx bodies, but I only have the SF-C1 controller.

(And yes, the Nilssin MG10 are updated with the latest firmware). 

Interesting!  To confirm, you get full functionality including HSS?  I have the the SF C1 and the SF 60 flash for my SL.  I have an S1H and no HSS yet for it.

1 hour ago, Mick H said:

Interesting!  To confirm, you get full functionality including HSS?  I have the the SF C1 and the SF 60 flash for my SL.  I have an S1H and no HSS yet for it.

I will (re)check on S1R and S5 - coming back (but not today as SF-C1 and flashes are in use on SL2...).

The Panasonic cameras use the Olympus m43 protocols. If you want TTL and HSS you need a system that uses that (Godox and Nissin both do this, plus others). Otherwise it's manual flash with the Leica controller. The pins don't even line up, let alone the firmware.

One of the reasons I keep my S1R's is because I can run my Godox lights with full compatibility and SL glass.

Gordon

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 8:20 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

The Panasonic cameras use the Olympus m43 protocols. If you want TTL and HSS you need a system that uses that (Godox and Nissin both do this, plus others). Otherwise it's manual flash with the Leica controller. The pins don't even line up, let alone the firmware.

One of the reasons I keep my S1R's is because I can run my Godox lights with full compatibility and SL glass.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon. Yes, only manual flash mode works with Leica SF-C1 on Lumix Sx. Apologise to @Mick H - and others - that my first post was misleading in this respect.

And thanks to Gordon for confirming that (for instance) Nissin Air10s for Micro four thirds (Olympus/Panasonic) works on Lumix Sx. I may look for a Micro four thirds Nissin Air10s...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, helged said:

Thanks Gordon. Yes, only manual flash mode works with Leica SF-C1 on Lumix Sx. Apologise to @Mick H - and others - that my first post was misleading in this respect.

And thanks to Gordon for confirming that (for instance) Nissin Air10s for Micro four thirds (Olympus/Panasonic) works on Lumix Sx. I may look for a Micro four thirds Nissin Air10s...

No worries. I figured that's what you meant. Was just clarifying.

You can use the SF60 with other Nissin controllers but ONLY after you have the firmware of the flash upgraded by Nissin. For some reason the SF60 and Leica controller are not cross compatible out of the box (stupid!!) with other members of the Nissin i60 family. Same for the Leica controller and other Nissin flashes (except for the big one you can upgrade yourself, apparently). I have not done this as I use Godox (TTL/manual with S1R and X1D and manual only with SL2) or Elinchrom in studio and am happy with a pair of SF60's when I need outdoor TTL fill flash. Personally, I rarely use anything more than normal manual flash in studio and controlled conditions, although I know others like it. Mostly I only need TTL for run and gun outdoor settings, like weddings, which I don't really shoot anymore (over a 1000 was enough). Mostly I prefer the consistency of manual flash.

I do wish Leica would just give up on trying to have their own flash system. They're not very good at it. Never have been. Just open the protocols so Godox and Profoto can do it properly.

Gordon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

No worries. I figured that's what you meant. Was just clarifying.

You can use the SF60 with other Nissin controllers but ONLY after you have the firmware of the flash upgraded by Nissin. For some reason the SF60 and Leica controller are not cross compatible out of the box (stupid!!) with other members of the Nissin i60 family. Same for the Leica controller and other Nissin flashes (except for the big one you can upgrade yourself, apparently). I have not done this as I use Godox (TTL/manual with S1R and X1D and manual only with SL2) or Elinchrom in studio and am happy with a pair of SF60's when I need outdoor TTL fill flash. Personally, I rarely use anything more than normal manual flash in studio and controlled conditions, although I know others like it. Mostly I only need TTL for run and gun outdoor settings, like weddings, which I don't really shoot anymore (over a 1000 was enough). Mostly I prefer the consistency of manual flash.

I do wish Leica would just give up on trying to have their own flash system. They're not very good at it. Never have been. Just open the protocols so Godox and Profoto can do it properly.

Gordon

Hi Gordon:

Thanks for the detailed info based on your direct professional experience with multiple camera systems.  I appreciate it.  You are a tremendous asset to this forum.  

I am invested in manual E640's (Pocket Wizards) for my studio work.  I use the SF 60 and SF C1 for on location portraiture (HSS).  Godox lights with HSS for both my S1H and SL would be a cordless, high power and flexible solution.  I wish Leica would listen, otherwise we are stuck in the Nissin system with no high power HSS options.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 9:58 AM, helged said:

No worries!  

• 1 month later...