LUMIX 50mm F1.8 - Bokeh!?

DirkZ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 45 Minuten schrieb DirkZ:

Yes, looking nice. This lens is a bargain. 

I sometimes use M-lenses on my SL2, but everytime I see the results of the 1,8/50, I ask myself if it is necessary to adapt a manual focus lens to just get similar results (even the Summilux-M 50 asph. is not so much better), but with much more restrictions like min. focus distance of just 0,7 m.

Very nice pictures on your website. Great picture of the kingfisher. 

• Thanks 1

This is a picture using the Summilux-M 50 asph. at close distance, but @F4. You could take the same picture with the Lumix 1,8/50 and I believe that nobody can tell which lens was used.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Am 1.5.2024 um 16:46 schrieb michael_b:

I ask myself if it is necessary to adapt a manual focus lens to just get similar results

Absolutley true. I've been an SL2-S shooter in 2022/2023 and loved the tiny Voigtländer lenses, I've used (28/35mm Ultron, 21mm Apo-Skopar and 50mm Apo-Lanthar). It is another experience shooting with these lenses. Meanwhile I've sold everything, using Lumix camera and lenses and I'm happy with that. I don't care anymore about plastic housing as long it is well crafted and optics are fine.

Thank you for your friendly feedback on my website.

Leica Summicron-SL 1:2/50 ASPH.

LUMIX S 50 mm F1.8

Summary

Both lenses have the same lens design. They are equal. The most important difference is the metal housing of the Leica and the missing switch for AF/MF. Leica never have any switches on their lenses. I would prefer the Leica lens, but I do not pay four times the price for that. So I've chosen the Lumix version and do not regret it.

Here is a nice video comparison. The guy in the video mentions that the bit of better optical quality (especially edge sharpness) of the Leica lens comes from better Quality control.

20 hours ago, DirkZ said:

Both lenses have the same lens design. They are equal.

Every SLR 50/1.4 made between 1950 and 1999 used the same design. They are equal?

20 hours ago, DirkZ said:

The guy in the video mentions that the bit of better optical quality (especially edge sharpness) of the Leica lens comes from better Quality control.

That's just a guess on his part, based on no factual information. Actually, it contradicts the little bit of information that he has: imaging results.

I don't mean to come down on this particular YouTube influencer. He is trying to sell his presets and needs to produce content. It's not an easy job. I just want to point-out that every back-to-back comparison that I've seen follows the same pattern: "The lenses are the same, click on my affiliate links! I found the Leica to be better but ignore that. Click on my affiliate links in the description."

Isn't it strange that Panasonic only ever seems to send-out review samples of the 35 and 50 that suffer from bad QC? They never have QC issues when compared to other brands...

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Stunden schrieb BernardC:

Isn't it strange that Panasonic only ever seems to send-out review samples of the 35 and 50 that suffer from bad QC? They never have QC issues when compared to other brands...

Do you have an example for that?

vor 5 Stunden schrieb BernardC:

That's just a guess on his part, based on no factual information.

That's true. He doen't know.

Interesting discussion.  The best lens I ever had in terms of bokeh was the Sony 100mm STF that used an apodization element.  It had an aperture of f/2.8 but only transmitted light at a T stop of 5.6.  I wish there was an L mount equivalent.

• Like 1